Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this will be Pandora's 5th day on raw. So far she has had a chicken quarter twice a day, everyday. Since starting this, she has had diarrhea for every bowel movement. :frown: I tried removing the skin and fat...no difference.

As I type this she is eating 2 chicken backs from the case I purchased today. I think she might need more bone.

Wish me luck......

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Good luck!

Chicken backs might just be the thing to get her started on. Knowing what situation she was coming from, she was probably on the worst food, and I can imagine it's going to take a lot to settle her stomach. I don't know, though, because we all know that I'm no expert. XD

Personally, though, I will always keep backs on hand for cases of diarrhea. :biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Bullmastiff puppy (9 weeks) has been on RAW diet for about 10 days now. He gets fish in the morning and chicken in the noon and evening meals. I have given him chicken back, chicken thigh+leg, gizzard and liver so far. There was no dhiarria so far.

One thing I noticed was that the bone content of the meals I give him (except fish and boneless breast) is way too high (probably around 30-40%). The chicken back and the thigh+leg seems to have much more bone that 10%.

When you say chicken quarter do you mean the thigh+leg part or something else?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Chanaka, from what I've heard, you shouldn't feed organ meats until about a two or three months into feeding raw. Also, you should start with just one meat source at a time and keep with it for two weeks. I'm sure that there are a lot more experts on this than me, but just saying. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi xxshaelxx,
Thanks. I saw that organ part in the forum after I fed him the liver. Anyway, glad that he didn't have any dhiaria on that. Probably because that was given along with chicken backs.
Before going on RAW I was giving him slightly boiled fish for one meal anyway. So I just continued that with minimum boiling now. Fish is the cheapest here, Sri Lanka being an island.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
So this will be Pandora's 5th day on raw. So far she has had a chicken quarter twice a day, everyday. Since starting this, she has had diarrhea for every bowel movement. :frown: I tried removing the skin and fat...no difference.

As I type this she is eating 2 chicken backs from the case I purchased today. I think she might need more bone.

Wish me luck......
the first time we went raw....we did the chicken quarter thing and the diarrhea was so bad, we had to stop altogether.....both dogs had colitis..

the reasons, i believe, could be attributed to too much skin/fat and maybe even too much food....and i don't know what else, other than it was a terrible week.

now, with the help of RFD, both my dogs get a true 2% of their body weight, rather than 3% and i think that's made a difference...better to be a little underfed in the beginning than overfed, which can also contribute to the runs...

and i feed trimmed backs..meaning all fat, skin and organ gunk from the inside is removed.....they aren't ready yet...

malia who is heavier gets drumsticks and bubba gets drummettes for the second meal....

and that's that.

so far, we've gone a week and a half without the runs...it's obvious they are getting too much bone...

but i figure it's balance over time and my job at this point is to get them over the transition hump without crossing that line to colitis again.

not all dogs take to raw without issue.....:)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I would bet that she is just getting too much food for just starting out and going to chicken backs will definitely help with the poo issue.

RFD and Danemama08 would say less is better. Good luck, I know it can be difficult for some dogs to find just the right balance but you'll find it for your Pandora.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
It does sound like a bit much to me for her to have two whole chicken quarters per day. I would feed her two chicken backs for her meals for just a few days to get yer bowels under control. After she gets back to normal, I would give her just one chicken quarter (either am or pm) and then two chicken backs as the other meal. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point, everything will work out eventually because some dogs need a longer adjustment period than others.

I would wait until you see a good week to week and a half of good normal stools before you add in any other types of meat...

And continue to trim fat and skin at this point and when she starts to get back to normal, cut less and less off gradually until she can handle a whole quarter.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Knowing what situation she was coming from, she was probably on the worst food, and I can imagine it's going to take a lot to settle her stomach.
I'm sure she was on horrible food with her first owners. The woman that I got her from switched her to Blue Buffalo. She had soft stools when I first got her, but not diarrhea.

When you say chicken quarter do you mean the thigh+leg part or something else?
Yup, I mean leg and thigh. :smile:

I would bet that she is just getting too much food for just starting out and going to chicken backs will definitely help with the poo issue.

RFD and Danemama08 would say less is better. Good luck, I know it can be difficult for some dogs to find just the right balance but you'll find it for your Pandora.
It does sound like a bit much to me for her to have two whole chicken quarters per day. I would feed her two chicken backs for her meals for just a few days to get yer bowels under control. After she gets back to normal, I would give her just one chicken quarter (either am or pm) and then two chicken backs as the other meal. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point, everything will work out eventually because some dogs need a longer adjustment period than others.

I would wait until you see a good week to week and a half of good normal stools before you add in any other types of meat...

And continue to trim fat and skin at this point and when she starts to get back to normal, cut less and less off gradually until she can handle a whole quarter.
I figured it might be too much food. Brady was just so easy to transition that I figured a puppy must be even easier. Last night she got 2 chicken backs, so we'll see how the poo goes. Two more coming this morning too. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
About 40 pounds right now.
i fed my forty pounder the same as you are doing and she got the runs something fierce...now...it's very possible some of it was from three rounds of antibiotics for giardia and the colitis that followed...because my 18 lb boy also got the runs...

after a week of raw, we stopped and went to bland cooked to give their insides a chance to calm down and then i wrote to rawfeddogs and told him my problem...because i really really feel that raw is the way to go..

at any rate, RFD had me take the excess fat and skin off backs and drumsticks for the 40 pounder and drummettes for the 18 pounder...and they each got 2% of their ideal weight....

so, malia who should weigh 36 pounds gets underfed by a little at 10 oz a day while she is going through transition..

and bubba gets six ounces a day....while he transitions...

i do have them on digestive enzymes and a green blend because it makes me feel better...not so sure it does anything for the dogs...

but right now, they are eating such a restricted diet because they had such a bad case of the runs....and it's paying off, thank you RFD...the runs have stopped...

although their stools show definite signs that they are getting a little too much bone....i am going to follow his advice and keep feeding this diet for two to three weeks and the only thing i will add at the end of this week is turkey necks....to see how they do...

as i found out, not every dog transitions perfectly..and sometimes needs to be started out a little differently than other dogs

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:

So after two and a half days on solely chicken backs, Pandora's poo is becoming normal. :biggrin: We are currently at the soft-serve stage, but it's getting better every time.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
oh, that is excellent....if you should decide to add in drumsticks or thighs...take the skin off and excess fat for a while....that should also alleviate the runs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts