Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if this is of concern to anyone feeding deer meat? I may have a source but some of the deer may have been infected. Will deep freezing take care of this or should I pass? Also, as I am new to this i have no excitement about carving up and prepping my own meat from scratch. If I end up with a deer...what do I do to get it all cut up? Haha I sound like such a noobie!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
People won't feed the head because of CWD. I don't have an issue feeding the rest of the deer.

If you got a whole deer you'd want to find a processor in your area that could break it down for you.

I don't know if all veterinarians do this, but ours does...if someone brings the head in, we will send it out for CWD testing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i just read that it's nearly impossible to spred it between species. Now for my other question. I found a local taxidermist who is willing to give me his waste. He warns me about pellets and searching for arrow tips and such in the animals. I'm wondering if anyone else has a taxidermist as a source and if they've got any tips on this matter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well now that I've talked to the guy several times it seems like it may be more trouble than it's worth. Almost all taxidermists use a product to either seal their work or to "grip" it better for skinning. This particular one uses a borax powder blend that I really don't like the sound of. In conjunction with worrying about pellets and whatnot it's starting to freak me out. We will start out in a few weeks working with regular ol' chicken and see what happens from there. I'm content for now just asking for old meat on craigslist lol.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I wouldn't deal with it. There are so many other places to find meats that are more suitable for your dogs, than to bother with this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts