Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding raw for about 2 months now. My Great Dane puppy and mini dauschund have had no promblems but....
our Itilian Greyhound ( 3yrs old & weighs about 10 pounds) has choked now 3 times with last night being the worse. She has choked 2 times on chicken leg bone and once on a chicken wing. Last night she was having a hard time breathing and pawing at her face! As I rushed her outside to take her to the vet I think the cold wind caught her by surprise and she took a big gulp and swallowed the bone!

My question is what do I need to do to help her? I do not want to see her go through that again.

Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can also invest in a meat grinder and grind her food...bones and all. That way she still gets the calcium and other nutrients from the bone, but she would not get the dental benefits from chewing the bones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends on the dog, but I know some people will feed the larger items for a while to make sure the dog gets the hang of chewing their bones, then they can introduce smaller items again.

But it certainly depends! Some of these people only had one dog, who can take their time when they eat. Often when you have more than one dog they eat faster due to competition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts