Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything is still going great with the raw feeding. Chloe can't wait to eat.

This morning and last night, however, I noticed that her poop was thin and small. Kind of like she may be a little constipated. Texturally it appeared to be normal.

Is this a normal part of the change in diet? Or is it that I'm giving her to much or not enough of something?

As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
It's a perk to raw feeding. Poops are small and hard. She isn't constipated because she ha a bowel movement. If she were constipated, she would strain and strain and nothing would come out. Don't fret, be happy that your dog poops less now because she is getting more nutrition out of her food which means less waste!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a perk to raw feeding. Poops are small and hard. She isn't constipated because she ha a bowel movement. If she were constipated, she would strain and strain and nothing would come out. Don't fret, be happy that your dog poops less now because she is getting more nutrition out of her food which means less waste!!!
Ok great!!! That's fantastic. Should they also be less frequent? Now that you mention it I remember reading about it in one of the getting started sheets.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ok great!!! That's fantastic. Should they also be less frequent? Now that you mention it I remember reading about it in one of the getting started sheets.

Less poop means they are utilizing most of the nutrients therefore their stool is 1/3 the size of a kibble fed dog.Us raw newbies were just commenting on this yesterday. Our resident "doc" even taught us the special cheer to celebrate a dog being fed a biologically appropriate diet. :biggrin:
****check out the link below and you'll understand what I mean!

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/raw-feeding/4314-did-i-ever-tell-you-guys.html

Tami

·
Registered
659 Posts
Max's poop might be long and thin or almost egg shaped. It might be gooey or firm, it just depends. We only think there is a perfect poop shape, size and texture because we used to feed a really uniform food, kibble. Real food has different poops!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Exactly, different food has different shapes! I never really thought about it that way but it is totally true, tripe poop is longer and stringier, pure muscle meat is tiny shiny dark poop, and chicken turds are whitish larger than deer poo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Less poop means they are utilizing most of the nutrients therefore their stool is 1/3 the size of a kibble fed dog.Us raw newbies were just commenting on this yesterday. Our resident "doc" even taught us the special cheer to celebrate a dog being fed a biologically appropriate diet. :biggrin:
****check out the link below and you'll understand what I mean!

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/raw-feeding/4314-did-i-ever-tell-you-guys.html

Tami
hi there ... Help please, my pup hasn't pooped all day today. Peed like normal but that's it ... No straining or even trying either.

I'm new to all this and it's only my second day of feeding my 9 week old bordeaux chicken backs. His poop was ok yesterday, quite firm and got heaps smaller by night time. I fed him 2 chicken backs yesterday & today to ease him into it. Is he constipated or is this normal?

Please tell me it's normal :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Its totally normal for puppies to poop way less than when they did on kibble. You've only given two chicken backs for the past two days, which is not a lot. I wouldn't be worried at this point. His body is using most of it so the waste is minimal.

Give it a bit more time and go from there.

How much does your puppy weigh?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its totally normal for puppies to poop way less than when they did on kibble. You've only given two chicken backs for the past two days, which is not a lot. I wouldn't be worried at this point. His body is using most of it so the waste is minimal.

Give it a bit more time and go from there.

How much does your puppy weigh?
hi natalie,

Tonka's 6.5 kgs so I should be feeding 650 gms ... Started him slow so he doesn't get the runs but since there isn't any "diarrhea", this morning I gave him 2 chicken backs ... I was apparently feeding chicken "frames" which has more bones so i halved them & gave 2 of the back bits where most of the meat is ... success ... Saw him poop, although if I blinked I would have missed it & never found it in the grass. 3 tiny firm nuggets!!! And we're still hosing out the driveway from his poop when we brought him home ... Thought it came from a cow! LOVE raw fed poop, when I get it right :)

So chicken backs for the rest of the day :)

We took him straight to the vet when we got him home for a clean health bill & usual stuff and she scared the hell out of me with what can happen with bones stuck in their tummies & in their bum preventing them from pooping, surgery that had to be done ... & so on & so on.

Thank goodness for all your help & this forum for support!

- Cath, Myles & Tonka

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Yes, you will get all the horror stories from the vets if you tell them you raw feed your dogs! They absolutely know nothing about how a dogs digestive juices work to break down those bones, one day the vets will educate themselves on the subject as more and more people are turning to raw feeding for the health of their dogs!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts