Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I was bragging in another thread about how Purina Puppy Chow is great for my dogs...And I noticed China's hair is getting coarse to the touch and seems to be thinning out. I remembered that I was told to try Lamb and Rice formula with another dog of mine a while back when he had Mange, the vet said a Lamb and Rice formula would help his hair grow back faster. I've decided to switch to that formula, but still Purina. Is there something besides raw eggs I can give her to help her hair come in thicker and healthier? Now, understand I do not feed my dogs a raw diet. The occasional table scrap, raw bones, and the 3x weekly raw egg in the shell. She's due for a vet visit in a couple weeks, I just wondered if there was anything I could do in the meantime. Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mineral oil I heard works with the kibble. Don't know, that is why I am here and learning. ???

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
No offense but you were bragging about Purina anything? My dog was [unfortunately] on Purina Dog Chow for the first four years of her life, after that she was overweight and had dry flaky skin.
I don't think you should feed a raw egg with kibble since the raw egg needs to digest quickly so your dog doesn't have the risk of getting salmonella which is only possible if it is fed alone (longer than 12 hours since kibble) or with other raw.
I'd recommend salmon oil, my brother uses oil capsules for his lab and it's done wonders for him. And salmon oil has no chance to contaminate with salmonella. Also flaxseed is supposed to help, sunflower oil is a good source of omega 6 fatty acids which are what really help with the skin and coat.
Corn often causes skin and coat problems, so maybe you could upgrade to Purina One or Pro Plan that has less corn and by-products (heads, feed, intestines) in a lamb and rice formula. Or try Costco's Kirkland brand of lamb and rice and add the salmon oil, that might save some money and it has good ingredients too!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you should feed a raw egg with kibble since the raw egg needs to digest quickly so your dog doesn't have the risk of getting salmonella which is only possible if it is fed alone (longer than 12 hours since kibble) or with other raw.
I know when to feed her her raw compared to her kibble. My dogs don't get their raw treats until dinnertime. She's been on this diet since I got her. And I like Purina. I've not had a problem with it and just because I mentioned it, doesn't mean that it is the dog food that's making her hair this way. I was simply asking for simple suggestions.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I understand that you have not had a problem with Purina so of course why change anything...but Purina has caused problems for many others so why wait till it "may" cause a problem for your pups? A dog's food has a lot to do with their coat, etc. Purina just is not a good food source. If you upgraded to something better, it would probably eliminate a lot of the little extras you are doing. Or like Rann said, Kirkland will probably be better and its not expensive.

Reactions: BoxerMommie

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I know when to feed her her raw compared to her kibble. My dogs don't get their raw treats until dinnertime. She's been on this diet since I got her. I was simply asking for simple suggestions.
I didn't mean to offend, hence my starting off my entire post with "no offense." I only mentioned not feeding the raw egg with the kibble because I know a lot of people who just put the egg on the food and call it good, not knowing to do otherwise.
And I like Purina. I've not had a problem with it and just because I mentioned it, doesn't mean that it is the dog food that's making her hair this way.
I liked Purina too, for the first four years of my dog's life until the skin problems started occurring.
I was simply asking for simple suggestions.
I changed her food and her skin problems cleared up.
I thought I gave you very nice suggestions: change to the lamb and rice Kirkland brand: $20 for a 40 lbs bag.
Try to add some salmon oil and maybe some Missing Link. The money you save on dog food can go towards these slightly more expensive supplements to improve the coat.
I know of a lab who was on Pedigree and his coat got dull and brittle. His parents added some DinoVite to his food and now his coat is the softest thing in the world. Course I just got them to switch over to Orijen too to take care of his horrible bowel movement problems and hopefully now they wont have to feed him the supplements anymore once it gets integrated into his system.
Again, sorry if I offended you, I was just trying to be helpful. I wish someone had alerted me to changing my dog's food earlier than 4 years after she was on it, but she's doing well now so it's all good.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never heard of Kirkland, but what about Nutro or something at the local Pet Supplies Plus? I don't wanna have to spend a TON of money,but if I can get a good sized bag then I'm really not worried of the cost if it's not outrageous. I want my dogs hair to be healthy. That's all I really care about. Is their health. And if I have to spend the money, I will. I just never had a problem til now with the purina. (EW, went to Purina One and it's like double Purina Chow and the bag isn't even that big!)

·
Registered
333 Posts
From what I've heard and read, Nutro has its ups and downs also. Kirkland is the Costco brand of food. Its ingredients aren't too bad and its really affordable.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Nutro is alright, I'd recommend sticking with the Natural Choice or the Ultra if you're going to go that route. That'll run you closer to $40 for a 40 lbs bag. However, Nutro has been known to make some dogs ill, my brother's dog for example was very temporarily switched to Nutro but he started vomiting every night, so they switched him back to Kirkland food and fish oil capsules.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've never heard of Kirkland, but what about Nutro or something at the local Pet Supplies Plus? I don't wanna have to spend a TON of money,but if I can get a good sized bag then I'm really not worried of the cost if it's not outrageous. I want my dogs hair to be healthy. That's all I really care about. Is their health. And if I have to spend the money, I will. I just never had a problem til now with the purina. (EW, went to Purina One and it's like double Purina Chow and the bag isn't even that big!)
Kirkland food is sold at Costco it is their own brand of dog food and is decent for the money. I would skip Nutro if you look through the posts here you will find that Nutro has had many problems making dogs sick, etc. Um for chain store foods I'd go with Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Wellness, just depends on the chain. Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com and that can help you to choose a food. You want to be feeding at least a 4 star food and that should resolve your issues.

Good luck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure where there's a costco either (I'm fairly new to the area and don't know a lot about it) So I'll definitely check out the link and thanks so much for the advice. My main concern is to make sure my dogs are and stay healthy. Thanks again!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm not sure where there's a costco either (I'm fairly new to the area and don't know a lot about it) So I'll definitely check out the link and thanks so much for the advice. My main concern is to make sure my dogs are and stay healthy. Thanks again!
go to www.costco.com and click on find locations stores whatever type in your zip and you should fine your nearest one. It's a membership warehouse so you have to pay $50 a year to join, however with a 40 pound bag of food for $22 it's worth the $50 a year plus they have other great stuff too.

Good luck!

L

·
0 Posts
Also keep in mind that when you feed a better food, you end up feeding less of it so it evens out.

My dog came home from the rescue 11 years ago on Science Diet. At 54lbs, he was going through the largest bag (can't remember if it's a 35lb or a 40lb) a month. A month! Have you seen the cost of Science Diet lately? I work at PetSmart, and my job involves pricing. The large bag of Science Diet right now at my store averages $44.99. $44.99 for corn, beet pulp, by-products and other nasties.

He's currently on Orijen, which is costing me $65.99 for a 29.7lb bag. However, that bag is lasting me a little more than 3 months.

If you really want the most bang for your buck, find the closest store selling California Natural, Natural Balance, or Wellness (in fact, PetCo sells all 3 of those). PetSmart has Avoderm and Blue Buffalo. Or, do as already mentioned above and join Costco.

I took a look at the ingredients in one of the Pedigree (not much different than Purina) formulas recently, after not doing so in quite some time. To tell you the truth it made me sick to my stomach knowing what crap some companies market as "healthy" food for dogs. They're able to do this because people just plain don't know any better. Look at the Purina Beneful commercials, they do a pretty good job of convincing people that their food is great (while corn and wheat are raining from the sky). It's all about the marketing. Meanwhile, people have no clue that there are healthier options out there because the better companies don't do a whole lot of advertisement. They spend their potential marketing dollars on making actual good food.

There was such an initial improvement when we switched my dog from Science Diet to Canidae many years ago. His coat went from being very harsh to being silky soft. At this point in time, it's so silky it just makes you want to bury your face in it. I've yet to feel another Siberian with such a lovely coat. Then again, most of the ones I meet are fed crap foods (I work at PetSmart remember).

I can almost guarantee you that if you switch to a better food, you'll never ever want to go back to Purina.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am definitely making a trip to Pet Supplies Plus this weekend. And the closest Costco is about an hour from me, making it difficult but if the food will last me 2-3 months for a large bag then SIGN ME UP! The hair on her head is starting to soften since we switched to Lamb and Rice Purina One but I want the best for her because as the last poster said " don't know any better" and now that I do, I'm so going to make sure my pups live long healthy, soft coat lives!!! Thanks so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally don't think Purina is a good brand of food to feed your dogs. I feed my dogs the diamond brand food, has less by-products in it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I personally don't think Purina is a good brand of food to feed your dogs. I feed my dogs the diamond brand food, has less by-products in it.
I would recommend to you to upgrade from diamond as it a) isn't such a wonderful company they don't seem to give a hoot about their product or customers and b) it may have less by products but it is still a pretty low grade food.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I was told that kirkland brand food is made by the diamond brand company.
It is manufactured by them however the ingredients are far different than Diamond's food itself and Kirkland's food is backed by Costco's guarantee you do not go through Diamond if you need to return it, etc.

Kirkland brand is better than Diamond's line, but actual Diamond food is pretty crummy.

Chicken Soup food is also made by Diamond however, like Kirkland, they have not had the issues that the actual brand Diamond has had since the ingredients are better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats good to know, I was also told that nutra nuggets was made by Diamond too, is this brand better than the diamond line? Also would it be better to switch to the kirkland brand than?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts