Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :smile:

I went to the grocery store that had chicken quarters on sale, only I had misread the flyer. It had actually said chicken breasts with back attached. So they had no chicken quarters and no chicken backs. Toffee and Jellybean are on their first week with chicken quarters. They both had chicken quarters this morning. So I bought chicken wings instead, thinking they had a lot of bone in them. Should I fast them tonight or give them the chicken wings tonight?

Thanks,
Caorl

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point - but yes they are. They both chew things very well. I've given my larger dog the chicken necks that come with the backs. He crunches those down many times before he swallows - and those are tiny. So I'm sure that will be okay.

I'm just wondering if they're pretty similar to chicken backs (not size), since they're supposed to eat one meal as chicken backs at this point in their transition.

Thanks!
Carol

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I feed wings when I find them on sale to my Bull Terriers, I have never had an issue with them not chewing them enough for their size, they love them!:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
so often, i read 'know thy dogs'...and it's true.

bubba is a gulper, although he's better now...and now, six months later, can eat chicken wings...he could not in the beginning...actually, it was chicken wings that he horked five times all over my kitchen in a mucous mess that made me stop the first time....thank g'd i came back to raw.

malia was always a methodical eater, so wings were never a problem for her.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Re is spot on with this...."know thy dog" concept. I trust two of my dogs with smaller RMBs that they could easily swallow. But they are diligent chewers that crunch them up completely before swallowing. The other three are definite gulpers and need to be given bigger RMBs.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
just to expand...as they get into this raw thing...they are evolving..

where bubba swallowed an entire wing....he now does the dog thing.

i could give him an inch of turkey neck and this boy will do a dog thing...no swallowing whole....six months and he's learning....imagine what they'll all be like a year from now when the food has healed their bellies, their teeth, their souls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts