Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chicken feet – Feet are cartilage.
They are a natural unprocessed source of glucosamine and chondroitin. Studies have suggested that glycosaminoglycans and chondroitin sulfate may help reduce pain and inflammation from osteoarthritis, assisting in the healing process.
While these products are available through health-food stores or a pharmaceutical medication through your veterinarian, you can give these to your dog directly by giving raw cartilage

since one of my dogs is almost eleven....we think of these as more of a supplement than food.

BUT

do we have to count it as part of their daily calories...i give it to them once a day after their walk....

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Re, I think you will need to count the feet you give as a part of their daily intake. Especially since you have small dogs.

I think most people out there don't even give a second thought to the treats they give their dogs and how it contributes to their pets problems with weight management. I can't tell you how many times per day I ask clients how much they feed their dogs, they tell me a reasonable amount of kibble, and then I ask..."what else do you feed your dogs?" Which to that they say "Oh, well just a few treats here are there during the day." Their dog is overweight, and they have no idea that its from the treats since they feed an appropriate amount.

Everything that goes into your dogs mouth should be counted as part of the total diet.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
poor bubba...he only gets 6 oz a day as it is LOL

they don't get treats...this was it.

but yeah, i see your point. thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used to feed my senior girl trachea often for the same reason. I see chicken feet every time I shop but worry it is too small for my kids.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to feed my senior girl trachea often for the same reason. I see chicken feet every time I shop but worry it is too small for my kids.
even my gulper doesn't try to swallow it whole....i wouldn't call it a long term chew, like a beef rib...

for me, it's like a supplement, maybe...we'll see.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We sell chicken feet in the store. They're by Merrick I think and are hard, so I'm assuming they're cooked. Tiki likes them sometimes and does fine eating them. She's a lab, probably a bit over 50 pounds. If yours chew rather than swallow whole I'd say they'd be fine. We sell a lot of them to bigger dogs. My new one (3 pounds) had one today. When I gave her one of the "fingers" she ate it all up. When I gave her a whole foot she somehow ate the inside and left a weird chicken foot shell. It was kinda creepy :eek:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We sell chicken feet in the store. They're by Merrick I think and are hard, so I'm assuming they're cooked. Tiki likes them sometimes and does fine eating them. She's a lab, probably a bit over 50 pounds. If yours chew rather than swallow whole I'd say they'd be fine. We sell a lot of them to bigger dogs. My new one (3 pounds) had one today. When I gave her one of the "fingers" she ate it all up. When I gave her a whole foot she somehow ate the inside and left a weird chicken foot shell. It was kinda creepy :eek:
i think the ones you're selling are dehydrated.....maybe cooked....

the ones i'm giving are totally raw...

my grandmother used to use them for all kinds of food....i think they're dee-lish. :)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I do plan on getting chicken feet for the dogs...in a bit, down the road some. I want to give them to Lucky (who's 11) as a supplement to replace her glucosamine chews that she gets. And, I'm sure Duncan will get a few here and there...but I'm not sure...he's not spoiled or anything....:wink::biggrin:

So how many chicken feet would make up 40 pounds?? Do you guys think I should get a few from the Ethnic Market first to make sure the dogs like them...?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do plan on getting chicken feet for the dogs...in a bit, down the road some. I want to give them to Lucky (who's 11) as a supplement to replace her glucosamine chews that she gets. And, I'm sure Duncan will get a few here and there...but I'm not sure...he's not spoiled or anything....:wink::biggrin:

So how many chicken feet would make up 40 pounds?? Do you guys think I should get a few from the Ethnic Market first to make sure the dogs like them...?
nice thing about bulk is you can defrost, separate and then freeze again....

i wasn't going to buy in bulk, especially a forty pound case of them, if my dogs weren't going to eat them....especially since they are small and more of a treat than part of an eating program...

we bought .85/lb of chicken feet and that's under a pound and there were about ten or so of them. they don't weigh much....

·
Registered
216 Posts
i think the ones you're selling are dehydrated.....maybe cooked....

the ones i'm giving are totally raw...

my grandmother used to use them for all kinds of food....i think they're dee-lish. :)
Yeah the ones we sell are treats, and definitely not raw. They're very hard, almost crispy, so I'm assuming they've been cooked in some way. My favorite local dim sum restaurant has them on their menu. Maybe I could pick a few up there :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts