Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused about how often to feed chicken.

I like it because it is easy to get and cheap, but the more I read here, the more I think I misunderstood...at first, I thought we were to feed chicken every day for one meal (if we feed two meals a day), and alternate what we feed the second meal (fish, pork, beef, organs, duck, turkey, etc.).

Now, thinking about it, and knowing we ideally want to feed fish twice a week, organs once a week, and lots of red meat, I can't imagine we can get all that in on a weekly basis if we are feeding chicken every day.

Is it "wrong/bad" to feed bone-in chicken every day for one of the two meals, alternating other sources on a daily basis for the other meal?

THANKS!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Absolutely not. The feeding schedule you posted sounds just fine. Feeding chicken everyday will not be harmful especially since you're adding things in here and there. Obviously the more variety you can feed the better. Since we feed only one meal per day we only give chicken once or twice a week.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I feed chicken quarters every morning and either pork, beef, turkey, organs, fish or lamb in the evening, and my boys have done just fine on that.

I feed the quarters once a day to cut down on cost since I can get them for 36 cents a pound...it really helps out. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I'm bad. haha. I have no real schedule. I just think "What haven't I fed lately?" then throw it in their crates for them. I've been trying to feed chicken more often, though, because it is totally cheaper.

I'm also wondering if fish is essential, because that's the most expensive part for me, and now I'm not going to have room in my freezers for it, since the *cough* ex never brought over the fourth freezer, and I doubt I'll be seeing that. (Just ordered 60lbs or beef liver, heart, and turkey liver, and I plan to get more chicken next time I'm at Wal-mart.)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Fish is not an essential, but if you don't feed it I would supplement with a fatty acid capsule for skin and coat health.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANK YOU, one and all!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feed the quarters once a day to cut down on cost since I can get them for 36 cents a pound...it really helps out. :biggrin:
LUCKY YOU! I pay 46 cents a pound, and I thought *I* was getting a deal!

·
Registered
939 Posts
LUCKY YOU! I pay 46 cents a pound, and I thought *I* was getting a deal!
Haha...well I can thank Danemama for that one. She was telling me about where she gets her meat from one day, so I started looking into it and found out that they have a distribution center about 45 minutes from my house. It's pretty sweet. I don't know what I'd do without it. :tongue:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes! I think I read that post, too. Too bad they have nothing near us...it would be worth the drive (although I just found another person by posting an ad on craigslist that has over 50 pounds of freezer burned meat to give me...including three WHOLE turkeys! STILL gotta love freecycle and craigslist!).

·
Registered
939 Posts
Oh yes! I think I read that post, too. Too bad they have nothing near us...it would be worth the drive (although I just found another person by posting an ad on craigslist that has over 50 pounds of freezer burned meat to give me...including three WHOLE turkeys! STILL gotta love freecycle and craigslist!).
Ah, see now you have me beat there. I've posted asking for meat a million times with no avail. :frown:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I feed my girls chicken a lot but try to feed 40%-50% red meat as that is what is best. I follow 80% meat /10% bone /10% organ (5% should be liver).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts