Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Awhile ago, I read how some people enjoy buying enhanced products. Specifically, I will target chicken, however this may apply to turkeys and other enhanced foods. (I use the term enhanced loosely.)

To keep the math simple, I will use a 10# chicken at $1 per pound.

Let’s take a walk, ride or drive to the nearest grocery store and buy a 10# enhanced chicken. This chicken is listed with up to 16% enhancement.

What are the enhancement ingredients? Most contain salt, phosphate, and water solution.
Great! Some people add salt to their food to season it. (The type of salt does matter.)

Now let’s do the math. The 10# enhanced chicken was $10.
That’s just not true!
10# minus 16% enhancement = 8.4# of chicken.
1.6# is the 16% solution @ $1 per pound.
That’s some expensive water with salt and phosphate added.

Is this really correct?

Here’s the USDA’s Nutrient Composition of Enhanced and Non-enhanced Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets .

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I don't see that enhanced meats are something that I wouldn't feed at all, but certainly not something I would feed everyday.

I always can tell if the meat we buy is enhanced or not, because Bailey doesn't like enhanced meat much. I think turkey's bought whole at the grocery store are the only enhanced meat we have fed thus far. And we only buy turkeys whole like that during thanksgiving time when they are SUPER cheap....$.30 per pound or something.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I won't buy enhanced anything meat, my boy dog was soooo sick for several days when I gave him some turkey I didn't realize until after the fact was enhanced.. ICK

·
Registered
939 Posts
Whole turkeys are the only enhanced meat happening here. Everything else (like you said) is too expensive for what you're getting. Plus, not that great for the pups IMO....I don't see any live, enhanced meats. :wink:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
My dogs couldn't care less if the meat is enhanced or not. And I don't understand your math. It's not like we're paying $1/lb of water and salt. We're paying $1/lb for mostly chicken/turkey/whatever (which we actually aren't because that is an outrageous price for poultry, I might add) with some water and salt. It's not like I go to the butcher section and go "I'll have a bag of water and salt at $1/lb please!" You can't just discount 8.4 lbs of meat because it has some water and salt added to it. Maybe I'm just an idiot who only got three hours of sleep last night, worked a shift, and then went for a 6 mile run in the hot sun so my brain isn't working properly, but I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

And quite frankly, I'm getting a little annoyed at you coming into the raw section and starting threads attacking/picking on our method of feeding when we can barely even say we're raw feeders in the kibble section without people getting angry at us for "pushing raw" on kibble feeders.

I got whole turkey today for about $.60/lb (thanks to Amanda for the tip!) and it is "up to 8% enhanced" and apparently covered in butter. Do you think that for some reason I think that makes it worse than feeding a diet that is completely inappropriate to a carnivore at twice the cost? No, sir, I don't. I just think I got a good deal on a protein source my dogs don't get often because I usually don't find it for under $1.38/lb.

Would I prefer to buy locally raised meat that isn't enhanced? Sure I would! But until I find it at a comparable price to what I'm paying in the grocery stores, I'm going to put that about as low on my list of priorities as buying a new car; a totally unnecessary added expense/stress in my life. My current car may not be the best one I could possibly have, but it works great for me and it's paid off and easy to maintain. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I got whole turkey today for about $.60/lb (thanks to Amanda for the tip!)
My pleasure. XD Might even be less than that if you got the $2 off coupon, because Adam weighed ours, and they're about 20 lbs! At $8 a pop, that's about $.40/lb!!! Fweeee! haha. I hope you got as good a deal! XD

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Nice! Yeah i just grabbed three of the biggest ones that were there and got em for $8 each. Not sure how much they weigh though, I don't have an accurate scale in my house, just one that lies to you and makes you feel good about yourself haha.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Nice! Yeah i just grabbed three of the biggest ones that were there and got em for $8 each. Not sure how much they weigh though, I don't have an accurate scale in my house, just one that lies to you and makes you feel good about yourself haha.
LMAO!!! Nice. Well, I'm glad you got the same deal as us. XD Hopefully they all weigh about twenty pounds as well!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah if i had more freezer space I definitely would have grabbed one or two more, but alas, I'm not quite sure where these ones are going to go as it is. Time to do some rearranging. Hopefully my roommates don't eat this too.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
haha! Adam was talking about going back and grabbing more tonight and just sticking them in the bathtub in the second bedroom with some ice in there. XD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts