Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of the raw feeders out there that have big dogs, do you give them drumsticks? I was at the store today and I saw them, and all of them looked rather small. I'm thinking they might be too small for Aspen...

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
To all of the raw feeders out there that have big dogs, do you give them drumsticks? I was at the store today and I saw them, and all of them looked rather small. I'm thinking they might be too small for Aspen...
You are exactly correct. Whole chickens, half chickens, chicken leg quarters, chicken backs, and chicken breasts are all ok. Wings, necks, drumsticks, and thighs are a no no for all except very small dogs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
So drumsticks are alright if they are still connected to the thigh?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Smaller bone-in pieces of meat are a choking hazard for big dogs. Rule is that you only feed RMB's that are big enough that they have to at least crunch it a few times to make it fit down their throats. Akasha crunches a chicken quarter like 2-3 times to make it small enough to fit down her throat. She could easily swallow a drumstick...shes done it before and has never had an issue with it...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are exactly correct. Whole chickens, half chickens, chicken leg quarters, chicken backs, and chicken breasts are all ok. Wings, necks, drumsticks, and thighs are a no no for all except very small dogs.
Are turkey necks OK though? Or still too small...?

Sorry, I've never seen a turkey neck...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A drumstick is probably alright for my cavalier, though, correct?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I use drumsticks for Grissom, but he's small (about 19 lbs) and have done for Annie, but as she grows bigger (and man do those puppies grow fast) I'm using them less and less and giving her the whole quarter at a time.

I try to keep the pieces bigger than their mouths, as my rule of thumb.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unless its a wee pup growing into a biggun! :) I give Oakley drumsticks... we are still on 3 meals a day. She is 5 months now, about 30lbs I'd guess. She does a very good job chewing up the drumsticks. :)

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Unless its a wee pup growing into a biggun! :) I give Oakley drumsticks... we are still on 3 meals a day. She is 5 months now, about 30lbs I'd guess. She does a very good job chewing up the drumsticks. :)
OFF TOPIC: I <3 Oakley :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts