Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Lab thats been on raw since Jan. he was eating dirt, he kinda stopped that but several times a week in the middle of the day he throws up bio with bone fragments? He did throw up the dirt too..?? Don't know if this matters but he was a parvo pup. Is this normal or should I cut the bones up? He seems to chew them up ok. :smile:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Don't cut the bones up and dog's don't chew like humans do. They only crunch bones until they are small enough to fit down their throat and that can be pretty large.

Exactly what are you feeding him? Also, keep up with what is being fed when and keep up with when he is throwing up and see if you can find a pattern there.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Bone fragments like that are completely normal. They are not as sharp and tough as they appear. They aren't capable of doing harm to your dog's digestive tract and lining, which is very tough and rubbery- it takes effort to even cut it with a surgical blade!

How much variety is in his diet so far?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of chicken, all parts of the chicken, backs, legs, ribbs. I cut the whole chicken up so there is different bones everyday.

What kinds of meat, well buffallo heart and liver, chicken, lamb, sardines with guts and bones, elk, deer. Some of the different meats are ground with bone and organ meat in them. But they get several different kinds everyday.

This week he has thrown up twice and seems to do it when I am at work. I did increase his food a bit, thought he might not be getting enough since he is throwing up bio too.?:smile:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He did this with the dirt and he seems to have stop eating the dirt.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
They don't need several kinds of meat every day. I think for now I would feed the same thing for a couple of days in a row to help determine exactly what is causing him to throw up. Feed him chicken for a few days, the lamb for a few days, etc.

How well he's built will tell you if he is getting enough food or not. Dogs should be on the thin side so don't let that worry you. If you can't see his spine or hip bones, he is getting enough to eat. How many meals a day are you feeding him? How old is he? When did he start throwing up several times a week?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hes two
he was eating the dirt and throwing up bio and dirt and now its just bio and bits of bone.

I do give him chicken everyday, a leg or ribbs and such. I'll try giving him one meat at a time?

He eats twice a day morning and night time.:smile:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He eats about 2lbs a day. He is at a very good weight 57lbs you can see his ribs when he is breathing

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He it not fat at all, he is very active, extremly active and I keep him a little on the thin side. His sister eats more than that.

I was giving him less and he looked like I was starving him? I'll cut his food down and see what happens

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
between the 14th, which i believe was the last time you reported him throwing up, you were going to go down to one source of protein...

did you do that? and how did that work out? is he still throwing up bile and bone?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, and maybe that was it, he hasn't gotten sick since. He was eating alot of mulch outside too. But he seems to have stopped that too.

Maybe he need to eat one type of meat at a time? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone ever given dolphin fish heads before. Everyone is talking fish so I thought I might ask. Is it any type of fish salt or fresh?

We go fishing and I was wondering. I have heard sea trout sometimes have worms? Does any of that matter? An just give the whole fish too?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Has anyone ever given dolphin fish heads before. Everyone is talking fish so I thought I might ask. Is it any type of fish salt or fresh?
Any fish is a good component of a prey model diet. The best ones are salmon, mackerel, sardines, etc. Salt water fish who live in cold water. This is because they are very high in omega 3's. All fish is good, however.

We go fishing and I was wondering. I have heard sea trout sometimes have worms? Does any of that matter? An just give the whole fish too?
Yes, feed the whole fish if your dogs will eat them that way. I generally have to chop my in smaller parts to get my dogs to eat them. If you think they have parasites of any kind, you can freeze them for a month before feeding them and they will be ok.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Yes, and maybe that was it, he hasn't gotten sick since. He was eating alot of mulch outside too. But he seems to have stopped that too.

Maybe he need to eat one type of meat at a time? :rolleyes:
there was a recall of mulch from target, i believe...it was making dogs sick...

if you have fed him one protein for a week or two.....and he's not been getting sick....maybe add in another protein in a small amount for a few weeks and see how he does.

i'm betting it was the mulch.

you had also asked about dolphin and thiaminase.....wild dolphin, probably not....if you have farmed dolphin, maybe, because they are fed shrimp.

but google the name of the fish and query thiaminase and the name of the fish...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no on the mulch I saw that recall all my mulch is from Homy D or Lowes.....

I think my male dog that had parvo as a pup is just weard.....but he has stopped eating extra stuff so maybe he just took longer to adjust to raw?:confused:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Every dog is different and switch at their own pace....all that matters is that the dog is happy and healthy :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts