Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I finally found chicken backs at a specialty butcher not far from my house and I purchased 20lbs at 0.99/lb. Is this a fair price? When I told him it was for my dog he was shocked and amused as he had never heard of raw feeding before, and he is the owner of a 80lb Rottie.

They look like it's the spine with about 2 inches on either side with quite a bit of organs and skin and fat on them. Do I need to trim some of the skin or fat or cut up the backs at all before feeding?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hi all, I finally found chicken backs at a specialty butcher not far from my house and I purchased 20lbs at 0.99/lb. Is this a fair price?
I pay $14 for a 40lb case. I haven't found many people across the country who can quite meet that price. You should be able to find them for around $.50 to $.60/lb in 40lb cases.

They look like it's the spine with about 2 inches on either side with quite a bit of organs and skin and fat on them. Do I need to trim some of the skin or fat or cut up the backs at all before feeding?
Generally not. If your dog has loose stools a few days after beginning then you might want to for a few weeks but other than that, no. I feed them as they come.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RFD, you're always a great help! I think I've created a bit of a picky eater by feeding the chicken necks by hand. I gave Cali a chicken back and she wouldn't eat it unless I was holding it. She loved it that's for sure though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, tomorrow I plan on leaving it in the bowl and walking away. If she wants to eat she'll have to do it herself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts