Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pertaining to my pit bull/boxer/weim cross that has began eating raw for the first time in his life.

He took to it readily; and digestively, he made the switch like a champ. However, I've started noticing some allergic symptoms that I can't quite pinpoint to anything. I have searched him thoroughly and have not seen evidence of fleas (no fleas or "flea dirt" present), nor have we changed anything such as laundry detergents that may have caused a skin irritation. There are no chemicals applied on our lawn to explain this either.

But recently he's begun scratching alot, and having teary eyes. (The drainage from his eyes is clear.) He's even losing his fur on two different areas of his back.

Thus far, as with my dane, he is eating only chicken as his protein source, but I'm wondering if he's having an issue with the chicken. Now, before he ate raw, he ate a chicken based kibble, but did not exhibit any of the systems he's showing now.

Still, is it possible this is a chicken allergy? Should I try him on a different protein source and see if the systems clear up or should I be looking in a different direction? His coat is shiny and bright with the exception of the fur loss, he has small firm stools, his appetite is fantastic. It's just the itching/fur loss and the tearing that has me a little concerned.

Or am I looking at some type of detox since he was kibble fed for 3 years and has only been eating raw for two months?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
It might be that he needs something added into his diet alongside the chicken. The chances of him having an allergy to chicken are very slim. It sounds to me like it's time to add in some variety to his diet and see if he improves.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Might not be food related at all, could just be seasonal allergies which usually crop up about this time of year. If you change the protein source and the problem persists, that would be an indication of it possibly being some sort of environmental allergy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you feeding anything other than chicken? Are you feeding Veggies? fruits? Supplements?
Nope, I don't feed fruits or veggies, and I haven't fed anything supplement-wise since I took them off the kibble.

Might not be food related at all, could just be seasonal allergies which usually crop up about this time of year. If you change the protein source and the problem persists, that would be an indication of it possibly being some sort of environmental allergy.
That was sort of what I was thinking as well, though he's never had environmental allergies before..but then again, it's been a horrible year here for allergies. Even I am having lots of trouble and I don't recall ever having more than a sniffle here and there in years past during allergy season.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it's just now starting it seems like that could be the case.

Sometimes I think the concept of "chicken allergies" is started by the big crap-laden pet "food" makers trying to justify the garbage mix of corn and wheat predominating their product. Never mind that corn and wheat are many times more likely to cause allergies in dogs than any halfway decent meat product. It seems unlikely he could be allergic to raw chicken when he ate chicken-based kibble before making the switch.

As others have mentioned, if it's related to diet, it's more likely something they are *not* getting any more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pit Bulls commonly have skin issues...we have them! Like everyone said chicken allergies are rare but they DO HAPPEN. If I had to guess I would say you are most likely having environmental allergies, especially at this time of the year. You can take the chicken out of your dogs diet just to make sure, but I would also try an antihistamine and see what that does for you. Goodluck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 1yr old british bulldog has suffered from a tummy rash for quite some time and after trying many things where he would improve, but then the rash would return within 3 days. I finally switched him to raw, where he improved, but once again, never quite got rid of the rash altogether. Out of frustration I decided to have a fur analysis done, which tests for bio-incompatibilty, turns out, he's incompatible with CHICKEN! The one type of food that had remained constant in his diet. Well, I stopped feeding him chicken in any way shape or form, had him on detox herbs for a week and wouldn't you know it, his rash is all cleared and NOT returned!!! He still eats raw, mostly lamb, some beef, no turkey though, he's incompatible, but this has changed our lives.
IS he allergic? Don't know for sure, but he is definitely not compatible.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
There definitely is a difference in allergic and intolerant of certain foods. Dogs are of no exception! Although it is very rare to find a dog like this!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd move on to other proteins and see how he does. Pork or beef or lamb. Chicken intolerances do exist, although they are rare. So move on to other proteins and re-evaluate.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
An exclusive diet of chicken is not ideal and some dogs are known to get itchy dry skin with just chicken. It might be that rather than an intolerance to chicken. The fact that he improved on chicken but not all the rash was gone because of just chicken. You might later on down the road add a meal of chicken in to see how it goes.

To the best of my knowledge any allergy/intolerance testing is done with *cooked* proteins and not raw so because of this a lot of chicken allergy cases are intolerant to cooked chicken but not raw chicken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to update, he's doing much better with the allergies. I haven't noticed whelps or hives on him for a bit. I'm almost certain now that it was environmental.

He's now rotating between chicken, turkey, pork and beef and so far, hasn't met a protein source that doesn't agree with him.

He's doing awesome. Shiny black coat, SOFT as can be! It's amazing. I never thought his super short prickly coat would ever be soft.

Can I just say one more time how much I love feeding raw!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts