Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we took Chesney to our vet just to have him look her over and make sure there wasn't anything that needed to be taken care of.
He did a fecal exam, which they send out to have done, and she apparently has giardia, which I have a hard time believing. She's acting totally fine, solid stools, no vomiting, and not to mention, where the heck would she have gotten it? He has medication for us to pick up in the morning, I don't know what it is, Jon forgot to ask.
If she had giardia, wouldn't she be showing symtoms? not to mention that dogs RARELY get giardia.

They don't know she's on raw, if that matters?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well, puppies do tend to get giardia, just ask me as my female had it 3 times! The medicine they use though is horrible, I quit using it and starting using safeguard wormer which cleared it up just fine, my vet really didn't want to believe it but I made them give me the dose so they knew. I believe they use metronidazole which has a lot of side effects.

Chesney might not show signs yet either because she just recently contracted it or because the raw keeps her poop solid.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, puppies do tend to get giardia, just ask me as my female had it 3 times! The medicine they use though is horrible, I quit using it and starting using safeguard wormer which cleared it up just fine, my vet really didn't want to believe it but I made them give me the dose so they knew. I believe they use metronidazole which has a lot of side effects.
Hmm, but if I went that route, how do I know she's cleared up, since there are no symptoms now?:confused:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Some dogs can be asymptomatic and still have it or still test positive.

My advice to you (since you're more of a friend than a client, obviously you can't get mad at me for bad advice :wink:) would be to let it ride. If she shows diarrhea then talk about treating with your vet...if not...take another fecal in...about a month from now.

We mostly treat with fenbendazole, but honestly, if it were one of my dogs and they weren't presenting with diarrhea, I'd just keep an eye out. Sad to say, and my apologies, I don't mean to accuse, but some clinics scurry to find a 'problem to treat' if they want more money from the client. :( This isn't the case where I work, but I have worked at clinics that do this kind of thing. Shame on them.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I know of a dog that got giardia at the boarding place I worked at. A 2.5 year old Old English Sheepdog "Wilson." One of his symptoms was diarrhea. The vet gave him metronidazole. I don't know if it did the trick or not.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Metronidazole (as well as a bland, prescription diet) is what my vet recommended, and it didn't do JACK for Amaya. Her stools would go from really runny to partially firm and back to really runny, and it lasted a few weeks. When I went back to my breeder to pick up Ryou, she gave me the same stuff that she gives out to new puppies that had worked before, as well as the safeguard wormer. One of them did the trick, because within a day or so, her poop was back to normal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like Spooky's idea of just having another fecal done in a few weeks if she is still showing no symptoms.
Felix had coccidia when I got him, very obvious from the diarrhea though. He got Panacur for that. Not sure of it's effectiveness with giardia though.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll pick up the meds, jsut to be in good standing with my vet, but hold off on actually giving any. I wonder where in the world she would have gotten it.

In the meantime, should I be concerned about any of my other pets getting it from her?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Really the only way to tell if the pup is clear is to do a fecal exam. How come they don't have DIY fecal exams like they have for almost everything else: pregnancy, HIV, drugs, alcohol, etc. Lots more just can't remember them all.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Giardia is contact contagious,meaning poop contact, smelling the hindend after pooping etc. My male contacted it from my female.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Giardia is contact contagious,meaning poop contact, smelling the hindend after pooping etc. My male contacted it from my female.
Grissom might as well be diagnosed now.
stupid poop eater.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Go look way back on threads to when Doc was here, I'm sure it was safeguard that I used but it very well could have been Panacur. We discussed it on here about a year ago or so. I really wouldn't use the meds if they gave you Metronidazole, google it.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Not nescessarilly (is that spelled right) check out the thread on page 21 in Raw feeding called: Now What?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Giardia to me is not of real concern to me, unless there are children around who don't understand good hygiene. Most dogs that have it show no symptoms and are just carriers of it, its positive on routine fecal exams all the time here. It doesn't cause disease quite as bad in dogs as in humans since dogs have iron clad immune systems compared to us. Some dogs do show symptoms of it but that is rare and usually its the dogs that are immune compromised.

·
Registered
718 Posts
They can also get it from eating wet dirt or drinking even a small amount of contaminated water. If she really does have it, the other dogs are highly susceptible, especially Mr. Poop Eater there. :wink:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Its called "Back Packers Disease" since its naturally occurring in most waters here in Colorado. Wild animals do their business and it just gets into the waters and the unsuspecting camper thinks that drinking the pristine, high mountain waters are acceptable to drink...boy are they surprised when they get sick!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So if I just ask the vet for safeguard instead will he just give it to me?
I'm not that concerned about it, I just really don't want to take a chance of it spreading and ending up with five animals having cannon butt, ya know? Not really a chance I care to take at the moment.
Chesney had out bout of loose stool today, but it was after an unsually large meal for her, so hard to say the cause.

ETA: Is there any harm in going ahead and treating them all with the SafeGuard? I now have visions of letting the dogs out in the morning and having diarrhea sprayed across my entire back yard. YIKES!

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone know a ballpark price for me? I jsut want to know if I should just bring cash to the vet tomorrow, or if this is a battle for the credit card. haha

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Fenbendazole is Panacur. We don't carry Safeguard, which seems to be a more expensive brand of Panacur. Panacur is based on the weight of the dogs. We carry it in a powder form that you mix into food for three days...I suppose you could coat raw with it ala shake n bake style. ;)
You could also mix it with water and syringe it down the hatch too, I'd think.

For a 40lb dog, 3 days of panacur from our clinic is $15.00.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
The syringe option is a good one, as I remember reading back to the old post my female didn't have symptoms either but she puked up her entire dinner the next morning which was very unusal. I'd just ask the vet for the safeguard in the syringe if he has the other meds waiting for you, just tell them you've done your research and you know that the safeguard will work. Thats what I had to do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts