Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get my sheltie to stop chasing the school bus every morning? I have a large fenced in yard, he is chasing the bus but is in the fence. He barks and barks and just goes crazy! and then sometimes he will redirect his aggression at my other dog, running over to her and knocking her down!
she is fine, it doesnt hurt her feelings at all, but i hate to see him doing that!

oh, and if we are out for a walk and he even hears a bus he will wrap me up in leashes and trip me if i do not watch out. he really really wants to get that bus. its all i can do to hold him back if we encounter one on our walks!

Thank ya!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Shelties are hearding dogs. Heardings have a strong urge to heard anything that moves. School busses move. Your dog is trying to heard the school bus. Hearding dogs have a stong predispostion to chasing cars (hearding them). I don't know why your dog is only interested in hearding only school busses. Most want to heard all vehicles.

Remember this is a hard wired urge. It's bred into him. It's going to be difficult to get out. The easiest solution is to take away the opportunity to heard the bus by having him inside at bus time.

You can use desensitization and counter conditioning. It's a long and diffucult process. Google "counter conditioning and desensitization" and you will get more information than you want.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
^^^ I agree with goodgirl. Instead of trying to change his innate behavior, I would just avoid the situation altogether. Of course on walks this can be tricky since there's no telling when a bus will roll around, but just do the best you can. Like RFD said, it is hard to train a herding dog not to herd (sp RFD!!!) just like its nearly impossible to train a Dane not to sit on your lap LOL...they are a companion breed.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Like RFD said, it is hard to train a herding dog not to herd (sp RFD!!!) just like its nearly impossible to train a Dane not to sit on your lap LOL...they are a companion breed.
Are you one of those people who limit yourself to only spelling a word one way?? :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Are you one of those people who limit yourself to only spelling a word one way?? :biggrin:
The problem is that you used the wrong word which is essentially spelling it wrong. Sorry... Using incorrect spelling and grammer are a big pet peeve of mine, but it this case I'm just rashing you a bit LOL

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if he's in the house when the bus goes by I bet he won't chase it :)
actually, he will! he runs through the house barking and barking! he jumps on the windows and the door.

Ruckus used to chase everything that moves, but he just grew out of it! other than school buses.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
So, he won't chase a ordinary transit bus?

L

·
0 Posts
Is it just buses, or does your dog chase cars, bicycles, joggers, etc?

My dogs love to bark at moving cars, but don't chase them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He doesnt care about anything for me to be able to redirect him. no tug, no treats, no nothing!
we have just been crating him during bus time, but he just barks and bark when he hears the air breaks on the bus!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts