Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think of Cesar Milan's method of "No touch, no talk, no eye contact" for when people come into the house, interacting with your dogs. I'm thinking about trying it out as everytime someone comes in the dogs go happy nuts jumping, barking, etc. I'm enthralled with Cesar's methods and wondered what everyone else thought about his techniques.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a lot of issues with his techniques (prefer Victoria Stillwell on "It's Me or The Dog" as she never gets rough with any dog while training). However, when I come in, I have to do basically what he says. Not only does it keep my dog calm but when she gets excited, she's at my feet which is a pain trying to get across the kitchen to put down my bags!

I haven't tried that with others coming in but I have the same problem with her getting too excited & they can barely walk in because she's right at their feet. Great idea! Never thought to apply that one to company.:rolleyes: I'm going to try the leash first & will tell the people not to give her any attention at all until she's sitting calmly.

Thanks for posting that.......

·
Registered
333 Posts
I honestly don't mind Cesar. Yes, his way of training is probably a bit more negative than most would prefer but he only deals with really problematic dogs. You don't really see him trying to "rough" train a puppy. He just delivers the quickest way to train very disobedient dogs which is "im the pack leader, you will listen."

Overall, its obvious that he loves dogs and he's a wonderful person irl. He truly is passionate about all dogs and I'm glad that he's been able to help many people that would have had no choice but to abandon their dog.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't like Victoria Stillwell's techniques because she doesn't really assess the situation before hand she tries to fix the problem without knowing why or where it started whereas Cesar more or less trains the PEOPLE on how to handle their dogs and that seems to be a much quicker method. I know that when my dogs act up or act out that it's something WE as the family members are doing and if we change what we do as a whole, then our dogs will respect us and listen to us, the pack leaders. Thanks for your opinions!

·
Registered
523 Posts
When I come in the dogs pretty much ignore me cuz I ignore them until I'm ready to pet them. And, they pretty much don't jump on me. BUT... w/company the little one is jumping up on everyone even when they ignore her and even when I give her the command off! So, I'd have to say it doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't have an issue with my dogs going nuts when myself, my husband, or my son come in however they can get more excited when others come over. So I have and do use the no touch no talk no eye contact method and I actually used it with the lady who cleans my house, she's been coming every other week since my 17 month old was 7 weeks old so he obviously knows her but he goes nuts every time she comes so when he was around 14 months old I told her to please try this and it worked VERY well. Within 30 seconds both dogs had moved onto other things and so everytime she comes over we do this and 5-10 minutes after she's been here then I allow her to pet them but only if they sit and behave first. It's worked GREAT for us!

·
Registered
28 Posts
What do you all think of Cesar Milan's method of "No touch, no talk, no eye contact" for when people come into the house, interacting with your dogs. I'm thinking about trying it out as everytime someone comes in the dogs go happy nuts jumping, barking, etc. I'm enthralled with Cesar's methods and wondered what everyone else thought about his techniques.

Whenever Cesar Millan’s name appears, out come the bandwagons, both for and against. :eek:)

Aside from the "No touch, no talk, no eye contact", other trainers might recommend folding the arms across the chest and holding still.

My 2 cents worth would be to consider training your dogs to automatically go to a particular spot and sit quietly, whenever someone arrives at your home; this is a particularly easy thing to do. We use the stairs near our front door. Our little guy has a good view of everything going on at the door, and is content to sit quietly until released.

All else aside, using methods that work for you, teaching your dogs to remain “calm and submissive” whilst people (anybody) are coming or going from your home will make life a lot easier.

Oh, and yes … I’m a C.M. “fan”, too. I think his method, based on using pack structure, is highly sound, very humane and effective...

His detractors should probably keep in mind that he is not “training” dogs, but dealing with some very serious existing issues. Over the past 30+ years of dealing with dogs, I’ve met very few (if any) professional trainers who could deal with many of his more difficult cases; many, if not most, would surely have been euthanized.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Oooh I like the go sit quietly in a certain spot method. How would one go about teaching that correctly? Because I can guess at it and even employ my brother the behavior mod lover but I'd like advice from someone who's actually done it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oooh I like the go sit quietly in a certain spot method. How would one go about teaching that correctly? Because I can guess at it and even employ my brother the behavior mod lover but I'd like advice from someone who's actually done it.
Our puppies are taught this at a very young age. All of our pups learned this simple behavior in only a few minutes. For an adult dog, it might take a bit longer, but should still be a simple and painless procedure. I’ve also taught this to friends’ “totally wild, untrainable” dogs.

Having 2 helpers is a gr8 idea …

Pick a spot. Ideally, it should be a defined area (stairs, a rug etc). The spot should be within easy access and viewing to your entry door (so that if Rover dog is particularly excitable, he/she won’t get too anxious to know what’s going on … or if Rover is very protective, he/she won’t feel compromised.).

Give Rover the command, and guide/coax him to the spot. Put him in a sit/stay. Praise (or give a treat if you have to). Make it a fun but calm procedure; you don’t want your dog all excited. Repeat a few times until he understands the command, prolonging the sit/stay each time. Once he has the hang of it …

Have helper #1 ring the bell, or knock on the door. Calmly give Rover the command, and make sure it’s obeyed. *Ignore the door until he’s on his spot, sitting and calm.*

Have helper #2 open the door, while you make sure Rover holds his sit. The longer he sits without breaking, the better. If he breaks, calmly put him back in his spot, in his sit. Repeat as necessary.

To reinforce the behavior, you can have the helpers (eventually) increase their excitement at the door. They can talk to and call to Rover. However, ONLY YOU can release him from his sit!

Others may have a different or better idea of how to teach this. The above has always worked for me, and with some very tough and stubborn dogs as well as silly, playful ones.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Cesar Millan is a very mediocre dog trainer. There are probably 10,000 better trainers than him across the country. He is very backward and uneducated on dog psychology and behavior. However, EVERYTHING he says isn't wrong. This is one of the few places he is correct.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our puppies are taught this at a very young age. All of our pups learned this simple behavior in only a few minutes. For an adult dog, it might take a bit longer, but should still be a simple and painless procedure. I’ve also taught this to friends’ “totally wild, untrainable” dogs.

Having 2 helpers is a gr8 idea …

Pick a spot. Ideally, it should be a defined area (stairs, a rug etc). The spot should be within easy access and viewing to your entry door (so that if Rover dog is particularly excitable, he/she won’t get too anxious to know what’s going on … or if Rover is very protective, he/she won’t feel compromised.).

Give Rover the command, and guide/coax him to the spot. Put him in a sit/stay. Praise (or give a treat if you have to). Make it a fun but calm procedure; you don’t want your dog all excited. Repeat a few times until he understands the command, prolonging the sit/stay each time. Once he has the hang of it …

Have helper #1 ring the bell, or knock on the door. Calmly give Rover the command, and make sure it’s obeyed. *Ignore the door until he’s on his spot, sitting and calm.*

Have helper #2 open the door, while you make sure Rover holds his sit. The longer he sits without breaking, the better. If he breaks, calmly put him back in his spot, in his sit. Repeat as necessary.

To reinforce the behavior, you can have the helpers (eventually) increase their excitement at the door. They can talk to and call to Rover. However, ONLY YOU can release him from his sit!

Others may have a different or better idea of how to teach this. The above has always worked for me, and with some very tough and stubborn dogs as well as silly, playful ones.

That sounds absolutely easy and amazing! I'm going to try that thank you!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cesar Millan is a very mediocre dog trainer. There are probably 10,000 better trainers than him across the country. He is very backward and uneducated on dog psychology and behavior. However, EVERYTHING he says isn't wrong. This is one of the few places he is correct.
LOL well at least I chose that method then. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cesar Millan is a very mediocre dog trainer. There are probably 10,000 better trainers than him across the country. He is very backward and uneducated on dog psychology and behavior...
Okay, I’ll bite … although I hate to bite the moderator :eek:).

Cesar Millan may or may not be a brilliant dog trainer. I can’t and won’t argue the point. I don’t know how effective of a trainer he is, as he goes so far as to state that he does not train these dogs, but “rehabilitates” them…

In any of the “Dog Whisperer” episodes I’ve seen, he had been called in to address a particular problem(s), NOT to train.

Where I (personally) think C.M. excels, is in his knowledge of pack structure, especially as it pertains to dominant and/or aggressive dogs. I’m not fond of his “energy” analogies, but they seem to be his way of verbalizing that elusive, esoteric quality which “natural leaders” seem to exude.

Treats and clickers work well with most dogs; but they are are simply not enough, when dealing with certain dogs. I strongly suspect that most of those infamous “10,000 better trainers” could not handle some of the more intense issues C.M. has confronted on his show.

It’s just my opinion. I remain open to any reasonable arguments to the contrary. However, until I’m persuaded otherwise, for now, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with you. Certain behavioral issues that Cesar addresses just cannot be changed with "better trainers".

·
Registered
628 Posts
I third that as well and completely agree. I've had many people tell me that their trainer or behaviorist told them to put the dog down when it is a seemingly similar case to what Cesar has worked with. And personally I have used many of his methods and had GREAT results with them.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Okay, I’ll bite … although I hate to bite the moderator :eek:).
Don't worry at all about biting THIS moderator. You will never get in trouble for that as long as you keep to the subject. That applies to biting anyone else also. :smile"

Cesar Millan may or may not be a brilliant dog trainer. I can’t and won’t argue the point. I don’t know how effective of a trainer he is, as he goes so far as to state that he does not train these dogs, but “rehabilitates” them…
"rehabilitate" is a marketing ploy. In my 15 years of training, I had cases similar to the ones I see him handle all the time. Probably 1/3 of my private clients were problem dogs. He is not good with problem dogs. His methods are outdated and in many cases cruel.

In any of the “Dog Whisperer” episodes I’ve seen, he had been called in to address a particular problem(s), NOT to train.
Thats the same for every trainer in the world unless all the trainer does is teach classes. The 10,000 trainers I am talking about handle the same types of dogs every day.

Where I (personally) think C.M. excels, is in his knowledge of pack structure, especially as it pertains to dominant and/or aggressive dogs. I’m not fond of his “energy” analogies, but they seem to be his way of verbalizing that elusive, esoteric quality which “natural leaders” seem to exude.
People seem to forget that this is a TV show. Cesar is a great showman and a good TV personality. He is a great self promoter. As for his knowledge, believe me, it is out of date. It was what was known 20 years ago. Dog training has changed a lot in the last 15 years and Cesar did not change with it.

Treats and clickers work well with most dogs; but they are are simply not enough, when dealing with certain dogs. I strongly suspect that most of those infamous “10,000 better trainers” could not handle some of the more intense issues C.M. has confronted on his show.
Hehe, Don't tell the person who knows how that something is impossible. The things you say are not enough are exactly what will cure the problem permanently, not just until the TV cameras leave. Again, we other trainers handle dogs like the ones on his show every day. It's not a big deal. It looks good on TV but its not a big deal.

There are better ways to handle these dogs than the way Cesar does. Notice the disclaimer on his show "don't try this at home"? There is a reason for it.

Do you ever see a disclaimer like that on Victoria's show? No. There is no need with her methods. You really should spend time watching "It's Me or the Dog." You will learn what dog training is really all about.

It’s just my opinion. I remain open to any reasonable arguments to the contrary. However, until I’m persuaded otherwise, for now, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.
Really, spend some time watching Victoria. You won't see any domination, silly pack theory, "simulated" bites, jerking on the leash, flooding, or other harsh methods. She teaches dogs and people what behaviors are expected and the dogs behave that way. They aren't FORCED into anything.

Back in my training days, if I could have filmed my best 25 success stories every year, I too could have an amazing TV show. :) Remember Cesar is an actor on a TV show with scripts. You don't see what happens when the TV cameras are turned off. You don't know that it takes 3 days to tape a 20 minute segment of a show. It's a TV show. It's shown for entertainment.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I agree with you. Certain behavioral issues that Cesar addresses just cannot be changed with "better trainers".
They can and it's done every day. THere are much better ways to handle these dogs than the ways Cesar uses. Most trainers know them. I know I'm repeating myself but don't tell the person who knows how that something is impossible.

There is no need to use force or coersion to handle a troubled dog. It can be done with kindness and understanding and encouragment. I've seen it done many many times. I've done it many many times.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Personally, I've seen Victoria on "It's Me or the Dog"...not a big fan of her methods personally. As the other poster said, we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think one way or the other is right or wrong, her way just isn't for me personally.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Personally, I've seen Victoria on "It's Me or the Dog"...not a big fan of her methods personally. As the other poster said, we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think one way or the other is right or wrong, her way just isn't for me personally.
What is it specifically you don't like about her methods and what specifically do you like about Cesar's?

I find Cesars methods too harsh, rough, dominering, outdated, ignorant and cruel. He does psychologically harmful things to troubled dogs. I don't buy for a second that the dogs have the slightest understanding of what those "simulated bites", "alpha rolls" and other stupid things he does are supposed to be.

I find Victoria intellegent, knowledgable, using positive methods to teach dogs positive behaviors. You never see Victoria jerk a dog or put them in pain in any way. She is completely 100% positive and doesn't harm the dog at all. Yet she gets the same results and the dogs know she is running the show. She can do that without using force or coersion and that is a huge plus.

She lives pretty close to me. I hope to get over to see her one day.

Hehe, I never agree to disagree. I can only agree that I'm right and you're wrong. LOL

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sorry I don't believe that anyone is right or wrong on a personal choice which training is. There is more than one way to get it accomplished, nobody is right or wrong, it's just different.

She uses treats A LOT, which personally I do not agree with. I have NEVER trained with treats and yet all of my dogs got trained. I don't agree with bribing things, animals or kids, which basically holding a treat in front of it's face, that's exactly what you're doing.

Personally, I prefer Cesar's methods over Victoria's. They have 2 very different styles, I'm not one for her style. I don't use all of Cesar's "techniques" by any means, however I would use more of his over hers anyday. Again though, it's a personal choice. Neither of them is right or wrong in my mind, IMO if you get your dog trained without harming the animal physically and your dog is a happy well rounded animal who listens to you and is well behaved, then you should choose which method works for you (obviously within the confines of the law and in not harming the animal) and give yourself a pat on the back when you've accomplished your goals.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts