Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2015, my cat was diagnosed with megacolon. He was raised on awful grocery store cat food, before I knew anything about good nutrition for cats and dogs, so it didn't surprise me that I had inevitably messed up my cat.
I started work at a higher end pet food store and got him on a grain free kibble (Earthborn), but he continually had blockages and enemas in order to remove them. It got to the point that he had such a severe blockage that it required surgery to remove so we decided to remove his colon to prevent any further issues.
Afterwards, the vet said absolutely no kibble because it would be harder for his body to process, so we tried wet food but he couldn't control his bowels and had constant diarrhea. I then made the decision to put him on raw since it had worked so well for my dogs. Since putting him on the Primal freeze dried and frozen cat food, he has made drastic improvements, gained all the weight that he lost when he was sick (he usually maintains 15lbs but had dropped down to 8 lbs when he got sick).
The problem that I'm having though is that he is never satiated. He is constantly hungry and meowing for food. He is also jumping on the counter, which he never did before, and eating butter, cake, frosting, spaghetti, bread, anything he can find. I add dehydrated pumpkin (to help keep his stools somewhat formed since he no longer has a colon to do that for him) and digestive enzymes (to help break down his food and make it easier on his digestive system) to his food.

Is there anything I can give him to make him feel more full? I feed him two Primal nuggets in the morning and two nuggets at night. He also gets 2-4 Smart N Tasty treats a day. I'm just at a loss. :/

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I'm not real versed on commercial raw, since I feed strictly prey model raw, but you may want to look into another brand. You aren't able to control how much of what goes into commercial raw like you can with prey model. Primal may not be supplying all of what is needed nutritionally.

Or, it may be that you just need to feed more. Cats tend to want to "graze eat", and nibble all during the day. Maybe feed a couple more meals during the day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts