Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I heard along time ago that Canola oil was bad for people, so how is it good for pets?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Yes, just like eggs are good, no they are bad, they are good, bad. I just stick to Olive oil and butter.

Reactions: magicre

·
Registered
469 Posts
same with safflower oil
one minute it is wonderful, next report its horrible!

who knows.
i feel comfortable feeding it as long as its not high on the ingredient list

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yes, just like eggs are good, no they are bad, they are good, bad. I just stick to Olive oil and butter.
Exactly!

Next thing they'll say is living is bad for you. :rolleyes:

I think ANYTHING can be bad for you if overdone; moderation is the key.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Canola oil is from the seeds of the canola plant which is crushed. It is among the healthiest of cooking oils. The problem is it is high in unsaturated fats. It high in healthy unsaturated fats.
If you have read any Internet reviews about canola oil made from the rapeseed plant, they say it has a toxic effect to humans. The rumors state ailments from respiratory diseases as well as blindness.This oil(rapeseed) which is sometimes confused with canola has high levels of erucic acid and can be toxic.
since canola comes from the canola plant the seeds, the erucic acid is way below the FDA's policy.
I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Canola oil is from the seeds of the canola plant which is crushed. It is among the healthiest of cooking oils. The problem is it is high in unsaturated fats. It high in healthy unsaturated fats.
If you have read any Internet reviews about canola oil made from the rapeseed plant, they say it has a toxic effect to humans. The rumors state ailments from respiratory diseases as well as blindness.This oil(rapeseed) which is sometimes confused with canola has high levels of erucic acid and can be toxic.
since canola comes from the canola plant the seeds, the erucic acid is way below the FDA's policy.
I wouldn't be afraid to use it.
canola plant is a made up word...because no one would buy an oil from the rape plant....

http://www.nutribase.com/oils.shtml

this is a sad thing, i think....it's not a good oil....soy is controversial....

so, i also stick with extra virgin olive oil.....sometimes i render my own chicken fat...and butter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I guess I don't need to avoid it, although I guess I should give my dog additional fish oil when feeding Merrick, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, etc., though, since they can't benefit as much from it as they do from fish oil, since it's plant-based.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
canola plant is a made up word...because no one would buy an oil from the rape plant....

NutriBase Glossary: Fats and Oils

this is a sad thing, i think....it's not a good oil....soy is controversial....

so, i also stick with extra virgin olive oil.....sometimes i render my own chicken fat...and butter.
Oh man I meant rapeseed when I wrote canola plant UGH! Sorry 'bout that! Tyeping what I thought was the right word !:frown:

I still am not scared though to use this oil when cooking though! I think its ok!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Oh man I meant rapeseed when I wrote canola plant UGH! Sorry 'bout that! Tyeping what I thought was the right word !:frown:

I still am not scared though to use this oil when cooking though! I think its ok!
i used to think it was a canola plant too....and for whatever reason, i looked it up....i had to laugh when i read they called it canola..i think it means canadian low acid oil....LOL

and actually, whilst i am not afraid to use it, i think there are better oils out there....

and saturated fats have gotten a pretty bad rap....

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
i used to think it was a canola plant too....and for whatever reason, i looked it up....i had to laugh when i read they called it canola..i think it means canadian low acid oil....LOL

and actually, whilst i am not afraid to use it, i think there are better oils out there....

and saturated fats have gotten a pretty bad rap....
I agree with you! :smile:There has to be better I just can't figure out what anymore LOL! UGH!:tongue: I start to doubt everything you know with all the differnt reviews on whats good, whats bad for you!!!!!! LOL! Oh well, we are trying our best to keep ourselves healthy! Gee I'm grabbing some chocolate I know I can't go wrong there HEEHEE!!!!:wink:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I agree with you! :smile:There has to be better I just can't figure out what anymore LOL! UGH!:tongue: I start to doubt everything you know with all the differnt reviews on whats good, whats bad for you!!!!!! LOL! Oh well, we are trying our best to keep ourselves healthy! Gee I'm grabbing some chocolate I know I can't go wrong there HEEHEE!!!!:wink:
coffee bad. coffee good. chocolate bad. dark chocolate good. eggs bad. eggs good.

whew.

i do think there are better oils out there...and, if there is one place i try not to skimp...it's the food and the ingredients to make the food.

so we may well be switching to grape seed oil or sesame seed oil.. for salads...and i mostly use extra virgin olive oil for cooking anyway...

·
Registered
474 Posts
even in my Jewish chicken soup?

Wez fri all da meat and fesh in pork lard. Paw sayz it will clean out ya pipes. Now when Maw iza fixin up a big mess of catfesh, wez put that bucket of lard in da big ol cast orn skilit and putz it ober da open far and getz it rreal hot where things isa poppin, den we flour dat fish nice and even and drops in da hot lard .... umm umm, smak my lips. And Tater and Lucy and Mutt day all starts a howlin and Pa iza pluckin hisin banjer and Maw grab her long skrit and starts a dancin round the skilit. Dair anit much anyting better in da hole wide world.

"Late in da evenin bout sundown high on a hill and above the town, Uncle Penn played da fiddle Lord how it'd ring, you could hear it talk, you could hear it sing .."

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
even in my Jewish chicken soup?

Wez fri all da meat and fesh in pork lard. Paw sayz it will clean out ya pipes. Now when Maw iza fixin up a big mess of catfesh, wez put that bucket of lard in da big ol cast orn skilit and putz it ober da open far and getz it rreal hot where things isa poppin, den we flour dat fish nice and even and drops in da hot lard .... umm umm, smak my lips. And Tater and Lucy and Mutt day all starts a howlin and Pa iza pluckin hisin banjer and Maw grab her long skrit and starts a dancin round the skilit. Dair anit much anyting better in da hole wide world.

"Late in da evenin bout sundown high on a hill and above the town, Uncle Penn played da fiddle Lord how it'd ring, you could hear it talk, you could hear it sing .."
come on over, friend, and i'll show you how to render chicken fat. that and pork fat rules.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm going to check out the other oils! I also use olive oil and sesame~~ I hope they don't say these are bad soon LOL! Grape seed never tried will look into this one though! I have been eating so healthy lately its getting monotonous! I need to get candy and eggs and really go all out LOL :biggrin:!!!!!!!!!!! Coffee is my morning ritual I just cannot give up coffee ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to think when I grew up my mother use to put the eggs in the bacon grease ugh! :rolleyes:Wow and they lived through it LOL!

Need to get my cholestrol checked LOL!:wink:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I'm going to check out the other oils! I also use olive oil and sesame~~ I hope they don't say these are bad soon LOL! Grape seed never tried will look into this one though! I have been eating so healthy lately its getting monotonous! I need to get candy and eggs and really go all out LOL :biggrin:!!!!!!!!!!! Coffee is my morning ritual I just cannot give up coffee ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to think when I grew up my mother use to put the eggs in the bacon grease ugh! :rolleyes:Wow and they lived through it LOL!

Need to get my cholestrol checked LOL!:wink:
nothing ever tasted quite as good as when bacon fat was used. man, i haven't had bacon in so long, i barely remember what it tastes like...

walnut and hazlenut oils are very tasty and very healthy...

regardless of what some folks believe...fat is not the enemy. starches are....and, of course, too much of anything...

almond oil and walnut oil....num num -- and they are good for you.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
your giving me some great ideas here! Thanks!
Gee we need to start a recipe exchange LOL! Now that would be fun!:wink:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts