Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've discussed this topic before in the raw form, but what about canned tripe? The brand that I'm looking at says it is to be used in conjuction
with a quality dry or raw diet. Trippet brand all 100% natural, the reason I'm really looking at it is my female who is a brindle, her coat is not as brilliant as I think it should be. She's getting eggs 2-3 wk, organs 2 wk, chicken once a day and either beef or pork and fish 1 wk. I thought adding tripe might help by adding the enzynmes, and fatty acids. Any feedback?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I am not a tripe feeder. I don't think the food is all it's cracked up to be. For example, yes, it has enzymes but they are enzymes for digesting grass so I don't see that as very beneficial to dogs.

Canning is cooking. Cooking destroys enzymes. I'm not sure what effect cooking has on fatty acids. I'm not sure how much fatty acids is contained in tripe anyway. I don't think canned tripe is as good as raw tripe and I really don't think raw tripe is all that beneficial. Many people feed it like it was some kind of miracle food. I know dogs love the taste. :smile:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I know we've discussed this topic before in the raw form, but what about canned tripe? The brand that I'm looking at says it is to be used in conjuction
with a quality dry or raw diet. Trippet brand all 100% natural, the reason I'm really looking at it is my female who is a brindle, her coat is not as brilliant as I think it should be. She's getting eggs 2-3 wk, organs 2 wk, chicken once a day and either beef or pork and fish 1 wk. I thought adding tripe might help by adding the enzynmes, and fatty acids. Any feedback?
How are your dogs doing now? Are they feeling better after all that fiasco? :rolleyes: I hope they are doing well!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:tongue:The dogs are pretty much back to normal now, thanks for asking. It took awhile for their appetites to come back to normal, but things look good to this point. The panacur
worked really well, and they didn't have the awful side effects of the other medication.:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just a thought! My male dog Leo goes outside and tries to graze like a cow, but now that I've been giving them a can of tripe every few days it seems that he isn't interested or there isn't the need for him to do that anymore. So,maybe the enzymes really do have some kind of benefit for some dogs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
:tongue:The dogs are pretty much back to normal now, thanks for asking. It took awhile for their appetites to come back to normal, but things look good to this point. The panacur
worked really well, and they didn't have the awful side effects of the other medication.
I am so glad that they are doing better. Did you use the horse panacur or the dog powder panacur? Just wondering! :smile: Maybe if you used the horse paste, he thought that he had been turned into a horse?! :biggrin: Just a thought!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I knew that Panacur would do the trick! Trust me on this one. I almost lost my German shepherd pup but found Panacur in time. I am happy it worked for you and maybe your vet has learned something? Don't forget to do another stool sample in a month. Sometimes those rascles come back and it's best to catch it early. Ask specifically for a Giardia test when you take the sample in.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My vet and I had a long chat on the phone, he knows now that I will never use that crap Metri??? again, they gave me 3 syringes full of what is to be horse panacur, in dog dosage. Yes, I will get a stool sample in 2 weeks, but both the dogs are finally back to having their normal appetites back. Now, if we could just get some half decent warm weather so they can go romp and play. I'm really tired of the rain/snow and cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts