Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we've always talked about kibble eaters and the different digestion rates but never mention dogs that eat primarily canned food.

Chelsy doesn't have many teeth so she eats about 1/2 can of 95% meat canned food a day. She also has EVO kibble down all the time but sometimes she only eats it every other day so primarily she eats canned food.

I got her some chicken wings today and I"m going to whack one with a hammer and see if she can chew on that for her bad teeth. If it works out okay, can she do just fine eating the canned food and a chicken wing every day? Then I can take away her kibble since she rarely eats it. Does a diet of a chicken wing and 95% meat canned food sound okay to you for an old dog? I have some senior plus vitamins she gets, also.

Usually I give her EVO or Evangers or a type of canned food like that. She's little so the price is really not a problem but it has to be a real limited ingredient canned food for her. Things like Honest Kitchen have too many ingredients that she can't have and I personally don't think she needs.

She has allergies and major colitis issues so I'm hesitant to branch out into anything raw beyond the chicken wing at this point. When she reacts to a food, it's pure bloody diarrhea and vomitting to the emergency room point and it's not a pretty sight. It last happened when we were in North Dakota and she ate a whole bowl of Rocky's Orijen. It took her three days to recover. I know she's safe right now with the canned food but I would like to get her on the chicken wings and then slowly add some more things that will augment her diet and still be safe and balanced for her. She's 13 and Lhasa's are one of the longest lived breeds so I want her to last for many more grumpy years. :smile:

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would say let's see how she does with the chicken wing and go from there. Some dogs can do just fine with canned and raw at the same time, others not so much. I would try to take all the skin off the wing if you can and just mix the mushed up chicken wing into some canned...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I think that should be perfectly fine and hopefully the raw food will help her teeth :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success!! I smashed the stuffing out of the chicken wing with a meat mallet and gave it to Chelsy. (I didn't realize they would be so big!). She licked it for ten minutes straight like a popsicle and then started to give up on it. So I tore some pieces of meat off of it and hand fed them to her and that was enough to give her the idea. She then actually picked the wing up by one side and gnawed away on the end of it for awhile until she was worn out. I'm not sure how much meat and bones she got off of it but at least she got the idea of what she was suppose to do with it. Next time I think I'll cut it in half for her so it's a lot smaller and give her just part of one, now that she knows what she is suppose to do with them. She really seemed to enjoy it and it's the first time she's actually chewed on anything in a long time. Now she's sitting here looking around like "what's next?" instead of sleeping in her bed. :smile:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Wonderful picture. :smile:

I'm not sure about the size of your dog. I can tell she is tiny. In general, you are not doing your dog a favor by making the pieces smaller. The larger the better. If you get too small with the pieces, she may start to swallow them whole. I'm sure dogs love large pieces of meat/bone. Look at wolves ... they bring down a whole deer and aren't intimidated at all by the size. Give her the whole wing and what she doesn't eat, put it up for the next meal. I can't picture in my mind whether a wing is more than a meal for this dog or not. I've got BIG dogs. :smile:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonderful picture. :smile:

I'm not sure about the size of your dog. I can tell she is tiny. In general, you are not doing your dog a favor by making the pieces smaller. The larger the better. If you get too small with the pieces, she may start to swallow them whole. I'm sure dogs love large pieces of meat/bone. Look at wolves ... they bring down a whole deer and aren't intimidated at all by the size. Give her the whole wing and what she doesn't eat, put it up for the next meal. I can't picture in my mind whether a wing is more than a meal for this dog or not. I've got BIG dogs. :smile:
She is a twenty pound Lhasa but should be 16 pounds. The problem with giving her bigger pieces is that her jaw is very malformed. If you can picture a SEVERE overbite with about an inch overhanging top jaw and very little bottom jaw. She's missing most of her front teeth and her tongue flops out by itself on one side. She does have all her back teeth but has trouble getting the food to the back of her mouth because of the way her top jaw overhangs her bottom one so much.

Obviously she's lasted 13 years this way, but she tends to grab big chunks of canned food and swallow them whole and eats by gulping. Now that she has figured out to get the chicken wing in the side of her mouth, I'm hoping her molars are good enough to chew off chunks of it. Today she mostly just made a soggy mess of it but I think she got some meat. It looked smaller then when I gave it to her.

Poor Rocky was going nuts but I wasn't sure if it was okay for him to eat the leftover wing...he's 75 pounds. Can he have whatever she doesn't eat for a snack? Are the bones too little for him? He REALLY wanted a chicken wing too! I'm afraid I may have started something here that I can't stop :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
She is a twenty pound Lhasa but should be 16 pounds. The problem with giving her bigger pieces is that her jaw is very malformed. If you can picture a SEVERE overbite with about an inch overhanging top jaw and very little bottom jaw. She's missing most of her front teeth and her tongue flops out by itself on one side. She does have all her back teeth but has trouble getting the food to the back of her mouth because of the way her top jaw overhangs her bottom one so much.
Dogs don't eat RMBs the same way they eat kibble. They don't use front teeth at all except some rare times they want to scrape meat off a bone. Most of the time they chew with their back teeth. Wolves/dogs are very protective of their canine teeth. The only use for canine teeth is to kill. Once the prey is killed, back teeth are used to rip it up and eat it. So your dog doesn't need his front teeth at all when eating real food.

I'm hoping her molars are good enough to chew off chunks of it.
I'm pretty sure they are. Chicken bones are pretty soft.

Poor Rocky was going nuts but I wasn't sure if it was okay for him to eat the leftover wing...he's 75 pounds. Can he have whatever she doesn't eat for a snack? Are the bones too little for him? He REALLY wanted a chicken wing too! I'm afraid I may have started something here that I can't stop :biggrin:
The bones are pretty small BUT .... my Danes get whatever the cats leave of drumsticks and they crunch them pretty good. Let him try and keep an eye on him. He'll probably do ok. I wouldn't make a habit of just give him a chicken wing but if theres a little left over from the other dog, see what he will do with it. :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts