Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my three dogs Canidae All Life Stages. They all really do well on it, and it shows. I know that some of the members of this forum are against dry kibble form dog food, and I kindly ask for you to NOT voice your opinions about raw diets here because I'm not looking for anyone to tell me that I should feed raw because I am not going to feed my dogs a raw diet. I am only looking for info and advice on other high quality dry dog foods that I can rotate my dogs on. I'm wanting to switch up my dog food from one high quality food to another every once and awhile. I've heard that rotating foods is good for dogs and gives them a little variety when it comes to their diets, which cuts down on allergies. Any advice ON THIS TOPIC ALONE is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like to rotate foods also. Also, when I was just feeding kibble (I feed kibble and a dehydrated raw now), I liked adding wet food to the kibble. I stuck with the Merrick cans for the wet. It looks like real food and doesn't stink. Bella loved it. For kibble, good quality brands are:
Innova
Wellness
Solid Gold
Fromm
California Natural
Wysong
Merrick

L

·
0 Posts
Currently in my rotation is Orijen, Innova Evo red meat, Timberwolf Organics, and Great Life. All are grainless, with the Great Life being grainless and potato free as well as having a dehydrated raw coating. My senior boy does great on all of them, and tolerates food changes well without any sort of digestive upset.

I'm thinking of trying the Merrick Before Grain next. We'll see though, it'll be over 3 months before I go through this big bag of Great Life.

He's been on Canidae in the past as well, and he liked that too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Solid Gold, Wellness, Innova, California Natural, Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Eagle Pack, Flint River Ranch, these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I also feed Canidae but unfortunately my dogs don't do well on anything else, so I just switch between the original, Lamb and Rice, and Chicken and Rice formulas and call it good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, even with the changes to Canidae - you are confortable feeding it to your pups? I took away the Science Diet and I'm going to the store today so I was hoping for last pieces of advice....

·
Registered
628 Posts
So, even with the changes to Canidae - you are confortable feeding it to your pups? I took away the Science Diet and I'm going to the store today so I was hoping for last pieces of advice....

Only if your dog isn't allergic to any of the ingredients and doesn't have a problem with gluten otherwise no. My dog has had increased gas and now has tear stains due to the new formula, however if these things were not happening, yes it is still an okay food, although at this point I would probably recommend Innova, Wellness, Cailfornia Natural over Canidae.

·
Registered
41 Posts
eagle pack holistic

I feed my Mastiff's Eagle Pack Holistic for large breeds. My 8 year old had no problem with the change over a year ago, and when I got my second pup he was on a low rated puppy food. I wanted to get him off it it right away but took my time, almost 2 weeks to make the total change. Eagle Pack also makes a good product called "Transitions" that I used while making the change. It help them have a lot less problems with food changes. So far so good with the EP holistic, Sully weighs a whopping 168 lbs at 15 months and his coat is just beautiful..if I notice him getting tired of EP I will probably go with Orijen..it is rated really high

·
Registered
628 Posts
I feed my Mastiff's Eagle Pack Holistic for large breeds. My 8 year old had no problem with the change over a year ago, and when I got my second pup he was on a low rated puppy food. I wanted to get him off it it right away but took my time, almost 2 weeks to make the total change. Eagle Pack also makes a good product called "Transitions" that I used while making the change. It help them have a lot less problems with food changes. So far so good with the EP holistic, Sully weighs a whopping 168 lbs at 15 months and his coat is just beautiful..if I notice him getting tired of EP I will probably go with Orijen..it is rated really high

Be careful with Eagle Pack, I'm 99% sure that it has beet pulp in it which many dogs are allergic to.

·
Registered
628 Posts
for me its these minus Wellness and Fromm - plus EVO and Taste of the Wild

You may want to nix Taste of the Wild, Diamond (which is who the food is made by) does not guarantee that their fish sources are Ethoxyquin free which is a cancer causing agent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You may want to nix Taste of the Wild, Diamond (which is who the food is made by) does not guarantee that their fish sources are Ethoxyquin free which is a cancer causing agent.
I e-mailed TOTW and asked them this a few months ago -- I'll shoot out another and ask again.
Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is their respones - thoughts?

The preservation systems used by our vendors are considered proprietary information. The heat from our pet food process destroys antioxidants that are used in the ingredients that we purchase. The cooking process at our facilities is at or above 240 degrees. After the heat process (extrusion and drying), we apply natural tocopherols (Vitamins A & E) in order to carry the shelf life of the food. Diamond does not preserve any of its products with ethoxyquin, only with mixed tocopherols.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Here is their respones - thoughts?

It's a nice way of saying that DIAMOND doesn't preserve it with Ethoxyquin HOWEVER that doesn't mean that the places they purchase it from don't. If the places that they purchase it from do they do not have to disclose that on the ingredient list. So, they do not guarantee that whoever they purchase it from doesn't do it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
What is wrong with Canidae? What are the "changes" that you guys are talking about? I feed Canidae and Felidae.
If you go to their website www.canidae.com they have a whole page of information. It is no longer gluten free they're adding barley, millet fillers like tomatoe pomace, peas and rice bran, they've now stopped identifying their fish source and changed it from herring meal to "ocean fish meal", among other things. It's definitely better than some but a far cry from what it used to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
myths about beet pulp

Be careful with Eagle Pack, I'm 99% sure that it has beet pulp in it which many dogs are allergic to.
I'm sure there are some dogs allergic to beet pulp, but there is also a lot of misinformation on it also. Here's what dogfoodproject has to say about it:

Beet pulp gets its bad reputation undeservedly, which is the reason it’s not listed under Ingredients to avoid on this site.

It is a gentle, beneficial source of fiber that is not only generally very well tolerated, but it also has specific properties that make it suitable as a source of nutrition for the beneficial bacteria that reside in the intestinal tract (in a supplement you would call this a "prebiotic"). The same people who malign beet pulp also often state rice bran is a better fiber supplement, but in truth it's a much harsher kind of fiber and may lead to vomiting and diarrhea in sensitive dogs or if it is used in too large amounts.

In all the time I have been consulting for dog owners on nutrition, I have actually not had a single case where I pinpointed beet pulp as the cause of problems, whereas the opposite is true for rice bran.

Almost all of the sugar is removed from the beet pulp, what’s left is only about 1/5 the amount of sugar that you would find in a serving of fresh carrots of equal size. It is also colorless and does not make a dog's coat turn red, like urban legends claim.

The manufacturers of quality pet food do not include more than about 5% of beet pulp in their foods, which is enough to get the benefits of this fiber without it becoming nothing but a filler.

The claim that beet pulp is an "unnatural" ingredient is often brought up, but those who argue this seem to forget that it is also not natural that dogs eat commercially produced dry food that contains rendered meat meals, a carbohydrate percentage of generally 40% and more, and has a moisture content of only around 10% as opposed to a more natural 60-70%. Added fiber is required to make such formulations work for the pets who eat a dry diet as well as for manufacturing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've had 3 dogs of my own and 4 fosters, all have been allergic to beet pulp. Maybe it's the breed, but my friend has a schnauzer/poodle mix and it's allergic to beet pulp too. It's a common allergen, not too much different than corn and it's a very unnecessary and cheap ingredient (IMO).

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you go to their website www.canidae.com they have a whole page of information. It is no longer gluten free they're adding barley, millet fillers like tomatoe pomace, peas and rice bran, they've now stopped identifying their fish source and changed it from herring meal to "ocean fish meal", among other things. It's definitely better than some but a far cry from what it used to be.
Ah yes, precisely the reason I came to this forum today. I'm not at all happy with the changes. I'm debating between Innova and Merrick and have some of both to work on the transition. I have cats that have been fed Feliade too who have recently been throwing up, which they have never been prone to do. I picked up Innova for them since there isn't a dry Merrick cat food yet. I e-mailed Canidae about the changes stating my frustration with the lack of communication and cheapening of the ingredients, while decreasing bag size and increasing prices. I don't want anything mfg'd at a Diamond plant. They essentially said sorry you're upset, we won't be able to change your mind, we feed millions of dogs everyday and they aren't having issues, and we didn't do things out of greed. Well, the marketing works for many people as proven by many of the major brands, but imho people seek out brands like Canidae (was) for the sole purpose of knowing it is human grade ingredients from known sources and who have a vested interest in maintaining the quality and safety of their products. They have alienated all of those people like myself that helped them grow so rapidly, by recommending their products via word of mouth due to satisfaction. I won't any longer...

·
Registered
20 Posts
My only concern for you is that Canidae has been outsourced to the Diamond Manufacturing company (alpha toxins poisoning) and their track record isn't all that good...

Changing foods for your dogs on a regular basis isn't all that adviseable. Dogs don't need that much variety in their food. The dog's digestive system either tolerates the food or it doesn't. That should be your only concern. If you have researched the foods and find one that is pleasing to you nutritionally as well as pleasing to your pocket book then you have succeeded. Changing foods isn't going to prevent allergies from surfacng unless the food you are feeding has an allergen in it and you remove that allergen by changing the food but how will you know? Sometimes it takes weeks, even months for an allergen to surface, how will you be able to tell what caused the outbreak? To change foods monthly or even twice a year isn't going to prevent allergies it's going to make it harder to identify what the dog is allergic to. If you want to change foods do it permanently.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I like to rotate foods also. Also, when I was just feeding kibble (I feed kibble and a dehydrated raw now), I liked adding wet food to the kibble. I stuck with the Merrick cans for the wet. It looks like real food and doesn't stink. Bella loved it. For kibble, good quality brands are:
Innova
Wellness
Solid Gold
Fromm
California Natural
Wysong
Merrick
I'm real new at this... how long should I keep my dogs on a food before rotating them to another? And, why should I rotate if they really like the food? Doesn't this cause the dog to become a picky eater? (I already have one picky eater. And, I've also been told to add water to the kibble which I've been doing and my dogs seem to like it. Is this also something I should keep doing?

Also, one of my dogs when I first got her had a bout w/diarrhea that wouldn't go away until I changed her food. I'm not sure if it was because she was a rescue in a new home or if it was the food - I have a feeling it was a little of both. But, I've been hearing alot about rotating diets but don't know how to go about doing it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts