Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's try asking the question here:

Are the complaints directed at the new Canidae formula based on objective facts, on the quality of the ingredients and the food in general, or are these based on individual dogs not doing well on what is essentially a new food?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I had been on that site. It certainly sounds bad. And we all feel horrible for the pain and suffering of both the owners and their dogs. But, to play devil's advocate, I keep reading things like:

“I’m not sure it was the Canidae” ...

“I suspect the Canidae food (for whatever reason) triggered this illness” ...

“sickens me to think that the food that I've been feeding her may have caused all this”

The reality is that our current dog (when he was a puppy) and our last dog did quite poorly on the old formula of Canidae. I recently tried the new one, and we're on the 3rd large bag. He is doing quite well with it...

We rotate bags of Canidae with California Natural. The only reason I hesitate to stop with the Canidae, is that I think it's important to change foods. Ideally, I'd like to rotate with 3 different foods. Having tried most of the other "top brands", these 2 are the only ones which have worked well for our particular dog thus far.

If need be, I'm certainly prepared to eliminate the Canidae and, if necessary, to cut back to a single food. If so, it would be good to know that it was done because of real evidence, and not simply conjecture and anecdote.

As I don't foresee any scientific evidence to support the claims on either side, I suspect that conjecture and anecdote will be all that's left upon which to make a decision...

In the interim, I wish I didn't have an aversion to feeding raw. :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I used Canidae for a number of years with great results and if you are having luck with the new formula, why change. I think it really depends on the dog. I too am hesitating doing the raw thing. Im using California Natural with Innova which I will eventually rotate with something else. Someone on one of these boards said a wise thing "buy the company, not the food" I think that says it all. Good Luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
We have numerous dogs here on Canidae and haven't had a problem with the changes. At the same time, we have numerous dogs that are having problems with the change.

I don't blame it on anything, until I'm proven wrong, except for the change in ingredients.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am feeding Canidae ALS to my labrador without any issues. Molly looks great and just loves feeding time. I have read several posts and was suprised to hear that Canidae was having all these issues, not here! Has anyone tried the new grain free diets from Canidae?

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it works for you and your dogs, it may work out fine for you. I have tried some good foods which just did not work with my dog (one brand she would throw up about 15 minutes after eating, and loose stools have been an issue with others). I think that they just didn't work out for my dog, but I know others who are perfectly happy with them.
For what it's worth, I fed Canidae for years and it worked out really well. Eventually I switched to grain-free because I found that my dog's skin rash (which had been a consistent problem no matter what I fed) improved. I think that some ingredients just don't sit well with every dog.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What ingrediants were changed? I fed it many years ago and it was fine. I changed to Orijen once I found it. Did the ingrediant change coincide with the outsourcing to Diamond? The effect was so widespread it almost has to be something in the formulation to make so many dogs sick with the same symptoms. Was it in product from a particular batch number? From a particula plant? Surely someone has been investigating this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts