Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Some people feed them but I choose not to because they appear to be just the right size for my dogs to choke on. This is of course my personal preference so they are absolutely fine to feed unless you notice something you don't like about them. I always give everything a chance before I make a judgement call.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I fed ox tails to Sam yesterday. The bone in the top part of the tail is too hard for him to bite I think. The middle and bottom part was okay for him.
Probably next time I will not give him the top most part because I'm worried that he might break a tooth.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i fed oxtails to my pug and my corgi mix....most of it is fine, but then again my dogs are smaller with smaller mouths.

the pug, however, thinks he can eat a whole chicken like a boa...but that's a story for another day.

when they got to the hard bone in the middle, that bone was circular and only about an inch in diameter...i took it away because both dogs could swallow it without benefit of masticating....

it wasn't a fear thing, although it looked to be a choking hazard....it was more of a 'what's the point thing'.....

oxtails are 45% fat and 52% protein and whatever else ....it doesn't work for me as a feeding tool because it's very high in fat....and as a recreational thing...it didn't take either dog more than 15 minutes to get through them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts