Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am feeding a 1 1/2 year old healthy chihuahua who weighs 5 pounds. He eats twice a day. Sometimes he skips breakfast, so then he's just fed once a day. I leave it up to him if he wants to eat in the morning or not.

I am trying to keep my ratios at 80/10/5/5 but sometimes I worry if I am getting everything in like it should be. I also get busy sometimes and fill in about 4 meals a week with ZiwiPeak.

I have a question about the ratios that I'm feeding. I'm worried that I might not be giving enough organs and bones OR that he might be getting too much organ and bones. Will you please tell me what you think of his meals? I try to not over think the meals too much. And I think he is getting what he needs over time, but would really like to know what you think.

Okay here goes. I'll give a typical week or so.

* I give ZiwiPeak about 4 times a week. On the days he gets Ziwi the other meal will be either raw meat, a meaty bone, or a meat/bone/organ grind.

The meat/bone/organ grinds I use are from Hare-Today. I emailed Tracy, who runs the business, and she says their grinds are usually about 75% meat, 15% bone, and 10-15% organ. (I use beef, goat, rabbit).

* One meal a week is tripe.

* 3-4 meals are meat chunks only. No bones or organs. (Heart, beef cheekmeat, pork, rabbit, bison roast/steak, lamb or mutton).

*Several meals are 1/8 of a cornish hen. (About 2 ounces of meat and bone). I cut a one pound cornish hen up into 8 chunks of meat and bone.

He gets salmon oil (Platos) about 3 days a week.

If I'm pressed for a meal, I give 1-2 sardines from sardines canned in water.

About once a week I give a large meal of bison liver and kidney. (About 4 ounces). (He has an iron stomach so organ meals don't bother him).

Snacks are dogitos (dried lamb, goat, or beef lungs), rabbit ears, gator bites, or dehydrated ostrich. He also chews on bullysticks for a couple hours a day.

What do you think? Am I doing this right or am I messing this up? How do I know if that's 80/10/10?

Do you see any significant imbalances? Like I said, he is in great body condition, healthy, and has beautiful teeth. His coat shines like a mirror! He gets compliments everywhere we go. He had bloodwork drawn at the vet for his neuter (about a year ago) and everything was perfect. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, I'm new to raw as well so I don't think I can really answer your question, but I will tell you this. As far as ratios go I got frustrated. So, I feed a mixture of meat and bone(mostly meat) to mine daily, and through in organ (so far liver is all I can find here) about once a week. I'm watching weight and all seem to be fine on a pound1/2 or so. (I have mostly dobermans). Just some of everything is what I am doing. I gave up on following ratios.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I am trying to keep my ratios at 80/10/5/5 but sometimes I worry if I am getting everything in like it should be.

What do you think? Am I doing this right or am I messing this up? How do I know if that's 80/10/10?
Don't stress it this much. It's not an exact science.

If you were feeding too much bone you'd see VERY dry crumbly poops or even some constipation.

On the flip side if you were feeding too much organ I'd think you would be seeing loose stools.

Feed mostly meat, some bone, some organ and you're doing great! Worrying about exact percentages is going to drive you crazy and not have any impact on the health of your dog :wink:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I am trying to keep my ratios at 80/10/5/5 but sometimes I worry if I am getting everything in like it should be.
Don't worry about ratios. They are arbitrary numbers come up with by humans. They mean nothing. There are no ratios in nature.

I also get busy sometimes and fill in about 4 meals a week with ZiwiPeak.
Drop that. You don't need it. I have a feeling you are using it because you don't yet have confidence you can feed your dog "correctly".

I have a question about the ratios that I'm feeding. I'm worried that I might not be giving enough organs and bones OR that he might be getting too much organ and bones.
The amount of bone and organs are not critical. Just feed some of each.

Will you please tell me what you think of his meals? I try to not over think the meals too much. And I think he is getting what he needs over time, but would really like to know what you think.
You ARE overthinking it. :smile:

Okay here goes. I'll give a typical week or so.

* I give ZiwiPeak about 4 times a week. On the days he gets Ziwi the other meal will be either raw meat, a meaty bone, or a meat/bone/organ grind.
Dump the ZiwiPeak and the grind and continue raw meat or meaty bone.

The meat/bone/organ grinds I use are from Hare-Today. I emailed Tracy, who runs the business, and she says their grinds are usually about 75% meat, 15% bone, and 10-15% organ. (I use beef, goat, rabbit).
Tracy is a nice lady and sells a good product that dogs just have no need for.

* One meal a week is tripe.
Cool. Tripe is good to feed but don't get the idea that it's necessary.

* 3-4 meals are meat chunks only. No bones or organs. (Heart, beef cheekmeat, pork, rabbit, bison roast/steak, lamb or mutton).
Thats cool.

*Several meals are 1/8 of a cornish hen. (About 2 ounces of meat and bone). I cut a one pound cornish hen up into 8 chunks of meat and bone.
Thats cool. You might try feeding regular chicken wings, drumsticks, or thighs. I don't have a dog the size of yours (mine are 125+ lbs) but I think those items would be a good size for her.

He gets salmon oil (Platos) about 3 days a week.
Cool.

If I'm pressed for a meal, I give 1-2 sardines from sardines canned in water.
Cool.

About once a week I give a large meal of bison liver and kidney. (About 4 ounces). (He has an iron stomach so organ meals don't bother him).
Most dogs can't handle that much organ meat at once but if his stomach can handle it, thats fine.

Snacks are dogitos (dried lamb, goat, or beef lungs), rabbit ears, gator bites, or dehydrated ostrich. He also chews on bullysticks for a couple hours a day.
Cool

What do you think?
I think except for the unnecessary premix stuff and grind stuff, you are feeding an excellent diet.

Am I doing this right or am I messing this up?
It's pretty difficult to mess up. Talk to 100 raw feeders and no 2 of them will feed exactly like another. There is no right and wrong. Feed meat, bones, and organs from a variety of animals. (you are doing this) ... Feed a variety of animal parts from a variety of animals. (you are also doing this) ... Feed moslty meat, some bone, and some organs. (you are doing this too) Thats it. You are doing everything correctly.

How do I know if that's 80/10/10?
You don't care. I know who came up with those numbers and I know how they came up with them and believe me they are quite arbitrary.

Do you see any significant imbalances?
Since there is no such thing as true balance, there can be no such thing as imbalance. You are overthinking again. Do you measure the protein in your diet? calcium? carbs? sugar? fiber? each vitamin? Minerals? If you don't measure them in your own diet, why bother to measure them in your dog's diet. You see? The dog food companies have fooled us into thinking that feeding a dog is so complex that we are incapable of it. Actually it's the opposite ... dogs nutritional needs are a lot simpler than humans. If you can feed your family, you can feed your dog. It's not rocket science.

Like I said, he is in great body condition, healthy, and has beautiful teeth. His coat shines like a mirror! He gets compliments everywhere we go.
That tells you all you need to know.

He had bloodwork drawn at the vet for his neuter (about a year ago) and everything was perfect. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.
Don't be too concerned about bloodwork as far as diet goes. A blood panel will not give you any useful information about your dog's diet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both of you. I guess I am overthinking it! I certainly don't stress over my diet or what I feed my kids like I do over his. Hmmmm.... interesting! I guess I was brainwashed by the dog food companies into thinking I couldn't do it myself. Never thought of it that way!

Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts