Dog Food Chat banner

Can I start on turkey?

852 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Siena 
#1 ·
I have some turkey backs and necks in the freezer. The dogs have been on chicken backs for a week and I introduced leg quarters on Thursday since they were doing so well. I don't want to rush the process, but since they never got diarrhea, they never threw up or got any side effects, is it ok to introduce turkey backs and necks in the next few days? Their stool is small and firm and has been since the start.
Thanks!

#3 ·
Turkey Neck Opinions?

Couple weeks into raw and things are going awesome! Chicken backs and leg quarters are being chomped really well (after a thorough licking for any yummy juicesfirst and fun pulling the skin off :rolleyes:). I would like to include turkey necks into this rotation in another week or so. I've read pros and cons of turkey necks can be a choking hazard so they should be cut lengthwise; yet other reviews seem to have no problem feeding them whole. Bailey has been doing textbook on chomping and chewing the backs and quarters. She is about 80 lbs. with really strong jaws. Perhaps I'm overthinking this and should just let her try a few turkey necks? We gave her the one from our Thanksgiving turkey and she seemed to enjoy crunching and rolling it between her back chompers...Any words of wisdom? Thank you!!!

Amy J-K
&
Bailey T. Dog

#4 ·
Perhaps I'm overthinking this and should just let her try a few turkey necks?
Yeah, most newbies do overthink. :smile: Just hand her a neck and see how it goes. Preferably an uncut neck. Give her one every other day or so and see how she does. Probably won't be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.