Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that it wouldn't be a problem, but then I have heard that room temp is best. So, what should I do?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Speaking of which, sometimes I like to give my dogs their chicken when it's still pretty frozen because I think it helps clean their teeth a little better since they actually have to chew it as opposed to swallowing it like a wet noodle, is that ok?

I think I saw you mention that at one point and that's where I got the idea from.

Funny story: this morning my lab mix, Pennywise, ate her chicken too fast so when I called her to come inside, she ran up to me, made a barf face and ran back to the yard. She then hacked up a little more than a whole drumstick (from a chicken leg quarter) back into her mouth, crunched it twice, and swallowed it again. I found it rather amusing.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Speaking of which, sometimes I like to give my dogs their chicken when it's still pretty frozen because I think it helps clean their teeth a little better since they actually have to chew it as opposed to swallowing it like a wet noodle, is that ok?
If they are swallowing without chewing, you are feeding too small of pieces. Feed larger.

Funny story: this morning my lab mix, Pennywise, ate her chicken too fast so when I called her to come inside, she ran up to me, made a barf face and ran back to the yard. She then hacked up a little more than a whole drumstick (from a chicken leg quarter) back into her mouth, crunched it twice, and swallowed it again. I found it rather amusing.
It's not that unusual, partidularly for dogs that are fairly newly switched. It will decrease in frequency over time. Sometimes even my Abby who has been fed raw for 6 years will still to this.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah Pennywise has been on it for a couple of months now. She's the only one that does it, my other two dogs are fine. But I feed her whole chicken leg quarters which are pretty big for her face, I think she crunches through the thigh really quickly (powerful jaws of steel on that one) and then slurps down the drumstick. Then hacks it back up, chews it, and swallows again hehe.
I actually used to cut the leg quarters in half so she would get the thigh in the morning and the drumstick at night, but like you said, the drumstick was too small for her so she was just swallowing it whole. Hence I give her the whole leg quarter once a day in the morning, she's usually pretty good for it. I just like it frozen because then she's more inclined to chew it more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts