Dog Food Chat banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
No pics here. However an update. I joined this forum last January after my 11 1/2 year old Tibetan Spaniel "Tuffy" had 3 teeth removed, and periodontal disease. As this is the raw feeding forum I won't discuss diet other than I have fed raw chicken, duck and turkey necks for the past year to both of my older boys, pretty well daily. Tuffy is a pickier eater, so some days he will refuse necks, or most anything. He is getting over a mild bout of pancreatitis.

He had is yearly checkup this Thursday. No cavities. His teeth look "good", damage was done with years of feeding kibble and not feeding bones. But I was very pleased at his checkup, shocked actually as I was not convinced that the periodontal would not progress. I also give my guys maxi-guard oral gel nightly, I don't brush, just rub it on their upper molars on both sides.

Anyway, just wanted to share this great news.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This are my doxie's teeth - Titan will be 3 in December and I have been supplementing his kibble with raw for about a year now (chicken wings/legs a few times a month). I am starting to increase the raw, trying to add a few meals a week in and see how that goes. I have a bigger dog and two cats and don't have the time and money to go completely raw at the moment, but would like to eventually. Titan also gets his teeth brushed, but from what I hear dachshunds tend to have bad teeth and need lots of dentals so I'm pretty excited about how his look! Orion (a 1yr, 50lb, aussie/golden/gsd?) won't let me take pictures of his teeth, but I will try to post those too at some point. Excited to see if feeding more raw can clean these babies up even more!
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
DSC01646.jpg DSC01653.jpg

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was 100% raw but scaled back. My dogs are much older, 11 and 12 and one of them has bouts of inappetance, the other has Cushings. I've gone to home cooked and re-introduced steamed veg as that seems to get the picky one eating, and the bowel movements for my Cushingoid are much firmer with veg. This is raw feeding here though. :) So I do feed raw necks daily. Chicken, duck or turkey. 1/4 of their daily food is raw neck. Small dogs tend to have bad teeth. Same number of teeth in a much smaller mouth is what I understand the issue is -- overcrowding. Maxiguard Oral Gel and raw necks has done the trick from my boys.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here are photos of Orion's teeth. He is a little over a year old. You can't tell in this picture, but he has a significant (to me, everyone else says no) amount of tarter/build up on his bottom teeth - I have noticed it getting better already though.
DSC01676.jpg DSC01677.jpg

Maxiguard Oral Gel and raw necks has done the trick from my boys.
I actually have some of the Maxiguard that I have been using recently, I love the instant fresh breath it gives my cats! Definitely want to keep using that. I have only fed chicken necks one time, and I don't know if it was just the ones I bought but they seemed too small for even Titan - he swallowed them whole without chewing at all. Worked great for the cats though! Titan is a gulper, but chicken wings/drummies seem to work well for him.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I AM SO SICK!!! I had the BEST before and after photos! A beagles teeth absolutely covered in tartar, and then three weeks later, sparkling white! But they were lost along with my other phone!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
1.5ish years after starting raw. :)

4 years old in August

Reactions: DaneMama and sozzle

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took Gimli's before pics last night, so I'll post that next month, along with an after. I'm really excited, especially after seeing everyone's progress!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the raw feeding as I've been researching and just trying to get some food stockpiled and then committing to a date and just do it. Other than chicken and turkey bones...what type of bones from cows are ok to chew on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello! I am the mom of Bogie the beagle, he is a senior adopted doggie. I changed his diet to raw almost two months ago and his teeth were/still are abhorrent. It was ignorance on my part to be feeding him dry dog food for the years I have had him. However, after a health scare, I did some serious research and decided raw is the way to go. He is THRIVING! However, he WILL NOT let me look at his teeth for more than a quick peak, so pictures are out of the question. Some things I have noticed: He LOVES rabbit. He LOVES mealtimes even more than before. He went through a scratchy/dry skin phase, and I wonder if that was a detox of his little body from all that dry food. He's better now that I fed him some canned salmon on and off. The BEST thing I've noticed is that he's had a growth on the inner corner of an eye for the last few years. It would crust and crust and then break off and bleed, and keep doing the same thing. Well, you can hardly even see or feel it anymore! It's healed itself. He basically eats raw ground meats in the morning to which I throw in some pureed veggies, or cottage cheese, and then raw meaty bones in the evening. I basically get the bones on the weekend and cut and package them in parchment paper, throw them in a bag, and then just take one out to defrost every night. It's a lot less work than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Must depend on the raw food

We have fed our two dogs raw food for 8 years or more. But their teeth got bad! I do not understand. They got raw chicken necks and tendons. I never gave them junk treats. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
We have fed our two dogs raw food for 8 years or more. But their teeth got bad! I do not understand. They got raw chicken necks and tendons. I never gave them junk treats. Any ideas?
How big are your dogs?

It's been my experience that chicken necks are too soft for teeth cleaning. For my smaller dogs I try to give them bigger bones they can't swallow, like pork shoulder roast bones or things like goat heads to give them a good workout and to clean their teeth. They can gnaw for an hour without getting much bone off. Depending on the size, duck heads seem to clean also.

My larger dog gets bigger bones to eat, or something kind of large but frozen. Any time I feed a dog just chicken bones their teeth get bad. It might be something partially genetic, also.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
What other bones have you fed besides chicken necks? And how big is your dog?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
even small dogs can gnaw on bones they cannot actually eat....that's where 'know thy dog' comes into play.

i have a collie who could eat beef ribs and i think they are too hard on the teeth...but lamb, calf, pork, emu, llama, etc, ribs are edible and good for teeth cleaning.

also , giving larger pieces of meat, presuming the dog is not a stupid eater and tries to swallow things whole, cleans teeth.

also, giving less white meat and more red meat would be super.

turkey necks, duck necks are also good for teeth cleaning

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice! I just switched to Raw and saw a difference in my Frenchie, just after 2 weeks of exclusively raw feeding. Teeth are whiter and his breath doesn't smell as bad.
It is expensive though and I used to get my food from Darwins. But I just found this new company and they are half the cost and can deliver to my home in Los Angeles. Shipping isn't too bad either.
The second I bring in the package from outside my Frenchie goes nuts. Also, all their product is frozen and shipped frozen. You should try them out! Their name is Happee Dawg

101 - 120 of 128 Posts