Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was revisiting the possibility of going back to C. Natural due to some recent skin allergies that have come up. I need a limited ingredient food and, after careful research, I'd settled on the C. Natural Lamb and Rice ALS formula but upon closer observation I see that it has Calcium levels of 2.14 and Phospherous level of around 1.33 (although the grain free formula has a Phospherous of 1.16.) It was my understanding that the ideal Calcium/Phosperous ratio for a large breed dog should be around 1.5 Calcium/1.0 phosphorus. I believe Bulldogs don't stop growing until around 2 years old so I'm a bit concerned that a Calcium level this high might not be the way to go. I know there are other Limited Ingredient foods out there but there's some concern about the meat content and they tend to be lower in calories and fat...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Are bulldogs concidered large breed? I'm not sure.....do they get over 55 pounds?

As a large breed puppy owner I would not feed this food. The calcium and phosphorus levels are way, way, way too high. More so with the calcium level. Your right to be concerned. I would want the calcium to be around 1.2or so.

Any other good choices open to you? :smile:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently English Bulldogs are considered large breed because they can get upwards of 55 lbs and they are prone to lots of joint and hip dysplasia issues. There are other choices but it seems like there are so many factors to consider in each one! I'll keep looking. Thanks for your input!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts