Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which form of calcium is best to use to balance the phosphorous in hamburger, ground turkey, etc?

I've read that calcium citrate is absorbed at 2-3 times the rate that other forms of calcium are, and it makes me wonder if this is the right choice. Then there's calcium lactate, etc...

We've been using the citrate, but I'm not sure if it's the best choice. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The best by far is just plain bone. I don't have a clue what kind of calcium it is but it's definately without a doubt the proper kind. You should feed plenty of RMBs and ground boneless meat should be a minor part of the diet, fed like 2 or 3 times a week.

Feeding that way, there is no need for calcium supplement.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best by far is just plain bone. I don't have a clue what kind of calcium it is but it's definately without a doubt the proper kind. You should feed plenty of RMBs and ground boneless meat should be a minor part of the diet, fed like 2 or 3 times a week.

Feeding that way, there is no need for calcium supplement.
Thanks. Butter has some serious health issues we are trying to address -- he was diagnosed with anaplamosis in January which is affecting his kidneys and triggered hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia. His phosphorous levels are supposed to be kept low to ease the burden on his kidneys, and while bones and bone meal have calcium, they also have high levels of phosphorous, so it's not recommended for his condition.

Butter only wants to eat raw meat on the bone, nothing else, so I've been letting him eat just what he wants, but am concerned about the calcium and phosphorous balance. I don't know if he is going to survive this tick-borne disease, it's a real challenge.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I hate to say it, but if he's eating, then your vet should be happy.
A lot of dogs in his state would turn his nose up at just about anything.

Are you seeing a holistic veterinarian?

Good luck, sounds like you two are having a tough time. :/

·
Registered
132 Posts
I hate to say it, but if he's eating, then your vet should be happy.
A lot of dogs in his state would turn his nose up at just about anything.

Are you seeing a holistic veterinarian?

Good luck, sounds like you two are having a tough time. :/
Actually, many dogs being treated for autoimmune anemia are ravenous. The basic treatment is prednisone.... at least 1 mg per pound of body weight, divided into two daily doses. For my Cody, that was 60 mg of pred/ daily. Even when he had a hct of 15, he was ready to eat anything in sight. For him, a very mid line food with low calcium/phosphorous was key. He did well on the Eagle Pack Holistic duck (until they were bought and changed the formular) and even now 3 years later maintains good blood chems on Fromm 4 star duck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for such helpful information!

Our regular vet is a homeopath, but at the end of January, she thought Butter had Lyme nephritis and immediately (I do mean immediately -- 5:30 at night) to a Board-certified internist, whom we are still working with.

The prednisone started to shut Butter's kidneys down, and he was only on them for 5 days -- he's been on 400 mg doxycycline for 8 weeks.

It is tough, our boy just had his 7th birthday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts