Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been feeding Acana Adult Dog to my lab since she was 11 weeks old. Now at 15 months I am looking to start a kibble rotation within the Acana line.

I have already purchased a small bag of Grasslands Dog and was going to start the switch when I noticed that it reccomended feeding 2 3/4-4 3/4 cups per day. Cal per cup is listed as 430.
The Adult Dog formula which we currently feed reccomends 2-3 1/2 cups per day (we feed 2 1/4 a day) Cal per cup is listed as 405.

Why would I feed more of a kibble that has more calories? What am I missing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We only have the grain free acana line in the states, the only excuse I can think of regarding their feeding guidelines is maybe because the ingredients in the grasslands may burn faster than the ingredients in the adult dog. If you think about it, its faster to burn off a russet potato than oats and rice. But again, I do not ever go by what the manufacturers suggest, I go by how my dog looks and acts. Those charts dont reflect the breed, activity, etc of a dog.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Disregarding the recommending amount, there is a lot more to a diet than calories. There is also protein, fat, carbs(sugars), and vitamins and minerals. All are important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts