Dog Food Chat banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this website, but in a bind, every bulldog I have ever owned ate what I bought and had no issues, until Miss Sadie. She came to me on Eukanuba, then stopped eating it, so I went with Royal Canin bulldog puppy, she loved it! Course she would 18.00 for a 6lb bag, I was runnign to Petco weekly, that part didnt bother me, the wheat gluten in it did, bulldogs arent to have wheat or corn. So I went with Innova, wll she refuses to eat it, vet says too bad, leave it out, she will eat when she gets hungry, kinda mean to me, she now has horrible gas, and drags herself all over my house at times, like she is itchy? Help, I have tried numerous formulas, even Royal Canin med puppy, she threw it up every time she ate it. Any suggestions?? She is 8 months old.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I would HIGHLY suggest a better quality food.

Taste of the Wild, Acana(grain free line,) Orijen and Wellness Core(the fish one #1) being on my top list.
I would, if I were you, also stay away from foods with chicken as an ingredient....all of the dogs that I have had contact with who have had sensitive issues have had issues with foods with chicken in them(even "just" chicken fat!)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have a Bully breed and was the exact same way...extremely picky. I agree with Scarlett...def try Taste of the Wild, Acana - grain free line or Orijen. My Frenchie loved Taste of The Wild - all flavors.

Reactions: Scarlett_O'

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I have a Bully breed and was the exact same way...extremely picky. I agree with Scarlett...def try Taste of the Wild, Acana - grain free line or Orijen. My Frenchie loved Taste of The Wild - all flavors.
Ya, Brody really liked both lines of TotW that we tried him on(he cant have chicken...so just Pacific Stream and Sierra Mountain.) For processed foods Acana(again, no chicken so just Ranchlands and Pacifica) is what he did best on though.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Both of my dogs loved Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula ;) It's reasonably priced here at $40 for a 35 lb bag .

Also, I agree with your vet. Your dog is telling YOU what she will eat but that's not how it is. Without realizing it you are creating a picky eater (and trust me you think its bad now...just wait lol)
Your dog will not starve herself don't worry!
What you need to do is buy the new better quality food, lay it down for her (after transitioning) for ten minutes.
Do you feed in a crate? I find this to make it a lot easier to prevent "grazing"
If she won't touch it for ten minutes, take it away...at her next meal give her the EXACT same bowl again (do not add any food, do not give her fresh kibble)
and just keep doing it. She will not starve don't worry ;)
My Raj was a picky eater when we switched him over from Science Diet. I will never deal with that again lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Well I went and bought her the fav, Royal Canin, the only thing she will eat, like a fool I did it. I am going to try Taste of the Wild, I have had other dogs I have owned on it and they did fine. Just trying to build her muscle. Bulldogs can grow long and lanky and I hate for her to not grow properly. Thanks to everyone what a wonderful pet website!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would find a four or five good quality foods that she likes and rotate between them - a lot of dogs can get bored with the food and stop eating it when they're fed the same thing over and over again.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Hello all, I am new to this website, but in a bind, every bulldog I have ever owned ate what I bought and had no issues, until Miss Sadie. She came to me on Eukanuba, then stopped eating it, so I went with Royal Canin bulldog puppy, she loved it! Course she would 18.00 for a 6lb bag, I was runnign to Petco weekly, that part didnt bother me, the wheat gluten in it did, bulldogs arent to have wheat or corn. So I went with Innova, wll she refuses to eat it, vet says too bad, leave it out, she will eat when she gets hungry, kinda mean to me, she now has horrible gas, and drags herself all over my house at times, like she is itchy? Help, I have tried numerous formulas, even Royal Canin med puppy, she threw it up every time she ate it. Any suggestions?? She is 8 months old.
Comparing the quality of Royal Canin to any Diamond product is about the silliest thing I have ever heard. Royal Canin has one of the best facilities in the country and some of the best nutritionists anywhere. Every diet goes through extensive testing. There is a reason there is wheat gluten in that food, because it is the most digestible protein known, even more than egg. And BD's have trouble digesting almost anything they eat. The adult formula does not it has a small amount of soy isolate, just like what's in baby formula.

Those diets are simple chicken, rice and oats with some special enhancements for BD's.

I would think that the nutritionists at Royal Canin know what they are doing, not some of the people on here. As for the price, don't buy food in such a small bag!!!!! It costs twice as much per lb.

Go back to RC BD and stay with it. Forget what you hear about TOTW it is junk.

Also I can't think of another breed where rotating foods was so foolish. These dogs can have such issues adjusting. Stick with RC BD and worry about something else.

Some very smart people made that product. Also she is old enough for adult food.

I would like to get some of the people here in the same room with the PHD's at RC so they could see how little they know.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I would find a four or five good quality foods that she likes and rotate between them - a lot of dogs can get bored with the food and stop eating it when they're fed the same thing over and over again.
Good luck with that...may cause issue like digestive upset. We tried every brand on the market that was good quality as far as kibble, premade raw and can food that Yogi could eat due to his allergies...didn't work.

Comparing the quality of Royal Canin to any Diamond product is about the silliest thing I have ever heard. Royal Canin has one of the best facilities in the country and some of the best nutritionists anywhere. Every diet goes through extensive testing. There is a reason there is wheat gluten in that food, because it is the most digestible protein known, even more than egg. And BD's have trouble digesting almost anything they eat. The adult formula does not it has a small amount of soy isolate, just like what's in baby formula.

Those diets are simple chicken, rice and oats with some special enhancements for BD's.

I would think that the nutritionists at Royal Canin know what they are doing, not some of the people on here. As for the price, don't buy food in such a small bag!!!!! It costs twice as much per lb.

Also I can't think of another breed where rotating foods was so foolish. These dogs can have such issues adjusting. Stick with RC BD and worry about something else.

Some very smart people made that product. Also she is old enough for adult food.

I would like to get some of the people here in the same room with the PHD's at RC so they could see how little they know.
All I'm going to say is, WOW...really wheat gluten...it's horrible even for people. A large majority of dogs have issues with wheat gluten and causes an array of problems. One word...research!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good luck with that...may cause issue like digestive upset. We tried every brand on the market that was good quality as far as kibble, premade raw and can food that Yogi could eat due to his allergies...didn't work.
The thing is, in my mind at least, switching foods shouldn't cause major digestive upset. I believe in giving dogs a variety of different types, flavors, and brands of food in order to create a strong and healthy digestive system. We as humans eat a variety of foods and we do not get sick when a new thing is introduced into the mix - our dogs shouldn't either.

I personally rotate between about a dozen different brands (and many more flavors) of kibble, canned, and raw - my dogs never eat the same thing for more than a week at a time. And they definitely do not have anything that would fall under "digestive upset".

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I used to work at Petco and got to talk to food reps all the time. I talked to Nutro reps who told me they wouldn't even feed that to their own dogs! I have talked to Nature's Recipe reps who didn't even know the ingredients in the food they were hawking. LOL. I had a Royal Canin rep in and boy did I lay into that guy. My store manager told me this guy really knew his stuff and so I just had to ask him questions. I asked him why their food was so expensive.

The guy said (and I can't even MAKE this stuff up!) that the cost went into the high grade of corn they used.

Yeah.

So I asked why they didn't add more animal protein and he said because of cost. So then I asked why they would put such expensive corn in their food instead of animal protein. He never gave me a direct answer. Probably because he didn't know.

I find wheat gluten to be biologically inappropriate for a dog.

I don't own a bulldog. I do have a mastiff and of my three dogs he has the most digestive issues. Certain foods give him horrible gas, which is my cue to not feed them. I would try a couple new foods and if she eats them and they don't give her gas, then feed that. I would try to find at least two or three foods she can tolerate to do a rotation. I have heard too many times of people's dogs being fed only one food and developing an allergy to something in the food (usually a grain or the animal protein). And then, many times the dog is older and more difficult to transition to another food.

So build the iron gut early. My mom has a schnauzer that can't eat anything other than one kind of food without getting really sick. He is older now and in bad shape. I feel had she rotated early in his life (and picked better foods) he would be like my dogs, able to handle anything (except the foods that give Dozer rancid gas of course).

Good luck, let us know how it goes. There are many great kibble choices out there. Fromms, Evangers, Taste of the Wild (someone here said it wasn't good but I have fed it with no problems?) Wellness, Holistic Selects, Solid Gold....it really boils down to what works for your dog.

Some of us here feed raw too. Always an option.

And....pics? lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm irritated with the post promoting Royal Canin, I was going to post about it, but I will just stick with this: IMO RC is GARBAGE, FLAT OUT OVER PRICED TRASH. Look into TOTW and the Wellness Core fish blend, grain free is going to be your friend.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Unfortunately now we've got the OP looking at completely contradicting advice...But OP, please notice that there is one post in particular that just doesn't fit, westminsterthree is a troll, just here insulting everyone and their knowledge of canine nutrition, he/she claims to know all kinds of experts but has zero references, and cannot be trusted, just some backround info, he/she has been here under several names, several times, and has been banned from the site, but continues to join under different names to come back and annoy everyone.

Royal Canin is most definitely NOT a superior food to TOTW or some others that have been listed here, and it is not ridiculous to make that comparison. If you continue reading on these forums, or even just doing research elsewhere, you will find what is important to look for in a food, and Royal Canin is really just overpriced garbage (sorry to be so harsh). Be careful when taking advice from the vet aswell, they usually recommend Science Diet or some type of prescription diet, which is not good for dogs. Take the recommendations from others in this thread. I also suggest reading the RAW feeding forum...I don't feed RAW, though I want to (I haven't been able to find bulk meat for a decent price to feed 2 large/giant breed dogs), anyway, by reading the RAW section, you will learn a lot about canine nutrition, and from there you can read more on the dry food section and figure out what exactly to look for in a kibble/processed diet, you'll quickly find that Royal Canin is not what you'll want for your pet carnivore ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree with RC being absolute cr*p, try TOTW, it is a far higher quality food :)

Reactions: Huginn

·
Registered
468 Posts

Just a question .... Where do you get all your information from, wherever it is, I'd look elsewhere. It appears that you have been led up the garden path

·
Registered
521 Posts
Unfortunately now we've got the OP looking at completely contradicting advice...But OP, please notice that there is one post in particular that just doesn't fit, westminsterthree is a troll, just here insulting everyone and their knowledge of canine nutrition, he/she claims to know all kinds of experts but has zero references, and cannot be trusted, just some backround info, he/she has been here under several names, several times, and has been banned from the site, but continues to join under different names to come back and annoy everyone.

Royal Canin is most definitely NOT a superior food to TOTW or some others that have been listed here, and it is not ridiculous to make that comparison. If you continue reading on these forums, or even just doing research elsewhere, you will find what is important to look for in a food, and Royal Canin is really just overpriced garbage (sorry to be so harsh). Be careful when taking advice from the vet aswell, they usually recommend Science Diet or some type of prescription diet, which is not good for dogs. Take the recommendations from others in this thread. I also suggest reading the RAW feeding forum...I don't feed RAW, though I want to (I haven't been able to find bulk meat for a decent price to feed 2 large/giant breed dogs), anyway, by reading the RAW section, you will learn a lot about canine nutrition, and from there you can read more on the dry food section and figure out what exactly to look for in a kibble/processed diet, you'll quickly find that Royal Canin is not what you'll want for your pet carnivore ;)

Good luck!
I agree, not only RC it's overpriced but it's contradicting themselfes, they brag so mush about having scientiest making food especific for the needs of X breed but they have different formulas depending were you are located, the latin american versions of the foods have unmentioned meats, fats and protein and it's more expensive than in the us :tape2:

RC yorkie puppy us formula said:
Chicken meal, rice, chicken fat, corn gluten meal, rice flour, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), natural chicken flavor, brown rice, wheat gluten meal, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), sodium silico aluminate, dried brewers yeast, potassium chloride, fructo-oligosaccharides, soya oil, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), salt, dried egg product, vitamins (DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B5), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), DL-methionine, choline chloride, proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), marigold extract (tagetes erecta L), rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 29.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 18.5%, Crude Fiber (max.) 3.4%, Moisture (max.) 10.0%.

Latin american version:

·
Registered
452 Posts
So in that latin america bag they have 1) "dehydrated poultry meat" so it's probably a mash of scraps from all of the leftover processing, 2) "maize flour" so it's not even corn meal, just flour? 3) "hydrolysed animal proteins" which after my research is just carcasses of animals treated with chemicals to break them down into amino acids. . . 4) "minerals" what minerals? And how much? 5) "yeasts" really? Just yeasts? What kind?

That is horrible!

Hydrolyzed Animal Protein products, buy Hydrolyzed Animal Protein products from alibaba.com

·
Registered
521 Posts
So in that latin america bag they have 1) "dehydrated poultry meat" so it's probably a mash of scraps from all of the leftover processing, 2) "maize flour" so it's not even corn meal, just flour? 3) "hydrolysed animal proteins" which after my research is just carcasses of animals treated with chemicals to break them down into amino acids. . . 4) "minerals" what minerals? And how much? 5) "yeasts" really? Just yeasts? What kind?

That is horrible!

Hydrolyzed Animal Protein products, buy Hydrolyzed Animal Protein products from alibaba.com
Neat! good info :party:

i didn't knew about the hydrolysed , I was smelling something fishy... what it's sad is that they are advertizing the hrydro stuff in magazines as a "scientist response to prevent and cure allergies in dogs and cats, because meats are the main source of allergies, so this way they can digest the meat without problems" :crazy:

Here's the us version of the anti allergy food http://products.royalcanin.us/media/125118/102b product guide_hypo_hydrolyzed_121410.pdf

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

TOTW is junk? RC better? :rofl:

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.