Dog Food Chat banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Basically the guideline for switching a dog successfully to raw is to start out on nothing but bone in chicken for two weeks. Then add in turkey alternating with chicken for another two weeks. Then add in fish alternating with chicken and turkey for another two weeks. And so on so forth until you have all your protein sources added in. Save boneless red meats til the end and organ meat (liver and kidney) for very last.

So, as far as ordering goes I suggest you start off with chicken leg quarters only for two weeks. Make sure to trim off any extra skin, fat and organ meat for the first few days and then gradually trim less and less once he does well on it for several days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I probably glanced over the chicken part really quickly as I thought he would have an allergic reaction to it...

When I spoke with the sales rep (who probably doesn't know much about raw feeding), he told me to stick to chicken necks only. I would imagine that is incorrect.

So when I place an order for the chicken, turkey and fish, what do I ask for? How much of it? I have a small dedicated fridge for him at this time.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Chicken necks are too small for your dog. I would order 40 pounds of chicken leg quarters and 40 pounds of turkey necks to get you started. Don't worry about fish at this point.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
personally, i wouldn't order in bulk just yet. it might be a little more expensive.....i gave away an entire case of turkey necks because it just didn't fit in with my dogs' diet plan....

the first six months, i think is a learning experience...so i would see if you can get chicken backs from your butcher....or buy whole chickens and cut them up yourself....just to see if your dog shows signs of allergies.

if not...then you can order chicken backs or whatever chicken is recommended.....by the case....and start with that, since chicken is the easiest to digest.....

you can judge by the stool as to how much bone is needed.....too much bone, stool gets crumbly, too little bone, stool gets loose....

good luck to you....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went and picked up some raw Bravo chicken and will give him some of that daily for the few days...Usually he reacts really strongly, and quickly, to foods he is allergic to. I will know by tomorrow night if he will be allergic to the chicken.
I bought him some Great Life yesterday, and he was up all night itching himself raw. I fed him the raw chicken today at noon, and he hasn't had a reaction yet.

I would imagine sampling the Bravo raw would let me know how he will do on the food???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry, it is simply the name of a brand of raw dog food...

This is the list of ingredients: Antibiotic-free chicken necks & bones, antibiotic-free chicken, antibiotic-free chicken organs (hearts, gizzards, liver), green beans, acorn squash, broccoli. I believe it is either 85 or 95% chicken. I couldn't find any without any veggies.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If he has an allergic reaction to this food there are so many ingredients you won't know exactly what he is reacting to. The easiest way to do it is to go to your grocery store and buy some whole chickens and butcher them up or just buy a bag of chicken quarters. Probably cheaper too...... :biggrin1:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
If he has an allergic reaction to this food there are so many ingredients you won't know exactly what he is reacting to. The easiest way to do it is to go to your grocery store and buy some whole chickens and butcher them up or just buy a bag of chicken quarters. Probably cheaper too...... :biggrin1:
exactly. if he's allergic to chicken, just feed him chicken.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
If he has a reaction I will buy a bag of chicken quarters. But, it's been almost 4 hrs and he hasn't itched at all yet.
I only had a bit of time at lunch and the pet food place was fastest for me to get to, and I have a credit at the store I have to use up (I returned bag of Orijen that was causing problems).

·
Registered
30 Posts
So far so good...
Before driving to LA to pick up his food order, I'm trying to get him a variety of meats. I don't want to buy food that he can't use. We've fed him raw chicken, lamb and some beef ribs. He's not itching, and his stools are not loose...

I was re-reading the 'preparing for a raw diet' blog entry...I have a big dog (a 7 month old, 85 pound bullmastiff puppy)...What do you recommend I not feed him regarding the size of the bones?
Thank for your help thus far.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I suggest you don't get ahead of yourself and add in too many proteins at once. I highly recommend taking things slow, even if he is already doing well. It may catch up to you both, which isn't the end of the world but certainly a set back isn't ideal.

Stick to JUST chicken leg quarters for two weeks and nothing else, no treats if possible. If you have an allergy dog you want to cut pretty much everything out of his diet if at all possible except just ONE food source. Chicken is the best place to start. I'm 99.9% positive your dog will do just fine on whole, raw chicken. I've seen confirmed chicken allergies disappear on an all RAW chicken diet. I believe it has to do with chicken being cooked in kibbles.

The bones to stay far away from:

Weight bearing bones for large ungulates like cows or buffalo (knuckle, femur bones)

Oddly shaped CUT bones like a T-bone or country style pork ribs (actually sliced pieces of pork shoulder blade)

Anything the dog can swallow whole without crunching a few times, although, if it fits down the hatch there isn't much to worry about after that. A lot of people worry about dogs choking or getting blocked but this is a rare occurance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alright...I went to the supermarket and picked up some chicken quarters...I'll stick to those for now. I fed him raw meaty beef bones for a couple of months ( but not for the last 6-8 weeks though ) so my thinking was that he'd be fine.
But you're right; we're better off doing one at a time so I not what, if anything, he can't handle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I started with the chicken quarters on Thur night, and have fed him those without any problems at all through this am.

He's a 7 mo old bullmastiff puppy. Is 3 chicken quarters over 3 separate meals adequate feeding for him? I fed him 2 the first day. He looked like that was not enough, so I went to 3. He looks like he may have lost a couple of pounds (not skinny though) but I prefer him leaner as opposed to heavier anyways...

Am I in the ballpark with 3 chicken quarters? He's had no treats of any kind.

Rather than placing a big order yet, I went to Fresh and Easy where they were selling Quarters for $0.89/lb.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If he's doing alright on 3 per day so far you can try adding in another quarter per day to see if that is more adequate. It'd always better to start out with less and increase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice post!

I was paying $10 per chicken (About 1 week of food), and then started feeding TWICE as much, so $20 a week. It was pretty annoying (more expensive than kibble), but I found a small (well large) Chinese food store where they sell the chicken leftovers. I bought a HUGE box for only $7 and now Loki's got over a MONTHs worth of chicken! Lol. I was wondering how everyone got these good deals, but you just need to search - And you'll find. So happy I switched to raw, and SO happy I found this deal!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I spend a lot for my dog's diet but I don't complain because I'm assured that my dog is healthy. It will save my dog from future diseases which are more costly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
this is my 1st post here, I am from the PBC forum and was told to come over here since I was asking so many questions on raw and cost.

I am thinking really hard about swapping my 3 year old adult boy to raw (he is around 62lbs, lazy but has a high metabolize somehow, he is currently in a transition from one kibble to another due to cost and a baby on the way, I am due in 9 days or so! well we are estimating he will be on 3.5-4 cups of Diamond Natural a day when all is said and done, he was on 3 cups of orijen when he was on a really good kibble just for reference sake)

Well I am trying to figure out if it would be cost officant to swap him to raw, when I give him occasional raw he does great on it but I need to know if its worth the cost.

Out here I do not have much as far as butchers, the closest one is about 20-30 minutes away, but I can get free raw beef and pork bones and free beef hearts (maybe free pork hearts) from them, they do not butcher poultry though, and the price of the actual meat there is not what I would consider a bargin, though liver is only like 2 bucks a pound as far as one of the organs I know they carry.

I do have a freezer, I am guessing its 7 Cu, its not really big, but I don't store much in it for the family, any meat that is freezer burned goes in there for Goren.

I was wondering if you could help me out in finding more free sources or how to best use the sources I have, which isn't much lol

we have a wal-mart in the next town over, an IGA there and in my town, a buy low, and a Rulers as far as any grocery stores.

Also would lake fish be ok if I cut and freeze them for 2 days before feeding? I don't fish much but you know how every little bit helps, plus now I am a stay at home mom so I can fish more this coming summer than normal

oh yea here is the site for my butcher, they have weekly deals but don't have there regular prices, but at least you can see what they sell
Dewig Meats, Haubstadt, Indiana - Quality Meats since 1916

thank you for the help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a dog who's perfect weight is about 10 pounds, maybe up to twelve. With the switch to raw I've been feeding him about a quarter of a pound a day [which is darned hard to break up into two meals, especially for bone meals!]

Now, I can find meat for 99 cents fairly regularly. Which means that my dog costs a quarter a day. Sometimes meat is more expensive, sometimes it's free, like when I just cut a portion off of the meat I'm going to cook for myself or Dad runs over a rabbit and teaches me how to skin and gut it for my dog. Overall my average is about a quarter a day though, so we'll stick with that for our math.

Now, a quarter a day is about $8 a month [rounding up].

So, lets say I get a 5 pound bag of TOTW for about $8. Yes, the bigger bags are cheaper, but I have a tiny dog and a tiny apartment, and I'd rather not be storing a whole ton of kibble all of the time. We're supposed to feed right about a cup a day according to their guide, and with about 4 cups per pound lets say that's 20 cups. Lets be generous and say that it lasts a whole month, so $8 a month.

So really, they're about the same when you look at JUST the food value and not the health benefits and such.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a dog who's perfect weight is about 10 pounds, maybe up to twelve. With the switch to raw I've been feeding him about a quarter of a pound a day [which is darned hard to break up into two meals, especially for bone meals!]

Now, I can find meat for 99 cents fairly regularly. Which means that my dog costs a quarter a day. Sometimes meat is more expensive, sometimes it's free, like when I just cut a portion off of the meat I'm going to cook for myself or Dad runs over a rabbit and teaches me how to skin and gut it for my dog. Overall my average is about a quarter a day though, so we'll stick with that for our math.

Now, a quarter a day is about $8 a month [rounding up].

So, lets say I get a 5 pound bag of TOTW for about $18. Yes, the bigger bags are cheaper, but I have a tiny dog and a tiny apartment, and I'd rather not be storing a whole ton of kibble all of the time. We're supposed to feed right about a cup a day according to their guide, and with about 4 cups per pound lets say that's 60 cups. That's about two months of food, which means that I'm spending about $9 a month.

So really, the two are about the same cost when you look at JUST the food value and not the health benefits and such.
The thing is, we humans can eat at McDonald's pretty cheaply. Would parents feed their children at McDonald's daily, just because i was cheaper?

I'm fortunate in that our dogs are smaller, so if raw costs more, it isn't much more. We spent over $1000 in November to have 3 teeth extracted from Tuffy. Periodontal disease was indicated, not surprise being 11+ years old and kibble fed most of his life. I didn't know about the benefits of raw. I was told to give my boys chicken necks 2 or 3 times a week. I started with that for about a week, did some reading, tossed the kibble and it's all raw now.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts