Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Diesel has been on Raw for over a month now and is doing great. I just switched my husbands Boston yesterday. Her name is Pie. She loved her meal. Grant is not thrilled and is worried she is going to choke on a bone. I told him just to shut up and deal with it! He thinks I am crazy now! maybe I am!!! Pie has had issues with ear infections and itchy skin. I will keep everyone posted on her progress. I plan on also switching over Magnum who is almost 6, I am waiting until after June 5th. I am walking Magnum and Diesel in a local Doggie Dash for SPCA and don't want to deal with diarhhea just in case he has a reaction. When I add up how much it is costing me to feed him on kibbe and canned it just makes sense. Magnum eats an average of 10 cups dry and 2 cans daily. Just his canned food is costing me almost 5 dollars a day!
grant will be thrilled when pie's ears clear up, as bubba's did....that brown gunk was awful....the vet thinks i'm using one of my home remedies....LOL...he can't quite bring himself to admit that sugar is the culprit....

as to cost....i'm really not sure yet...i don't know that we're really saving money because we feed them so many different foods. i think the cost savings will be per year....and we're not there yet.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
as to cost....i'm really not sure yet...i don't know that we're really saving money because we feed them so many different foods. i think the cost savings will be per year....and we're not there yet.
Don't worry too much about cost right now. It will take you a while to learn how to shop for your dogs and to line up sources. In 6 months you will have a much better idea on costs.

The last time I figured it up a few months ago, I am paying an average of about $.75/lb for my dogs food.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Don't worry too much about cost right now. It will take you a while to learn how to shop for your dogs and to line up sources. In 6 months you will have a much better idea on costs.

The last time I figured it up a few months ago, I am paying an average of about $.75/lb for my dogs food.
that's kind of what i figured...right now, cost is less of an issue, although it's always an issue LOL...than getting them comfortable on raw...

but, i do know we aren't spending more than what we used to spend on kibble and we're spending less than home cooked.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did a DFC search for Kansas, where I live, and I found Harvest Meat fairly close by. I went to the website and couldn't find prices. Do I need to call that information?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We order from the Denver branch all the time. The prices vary...but seem to be relatively constant. For example, turkey necks are about .68-.92 per pound on average.

I would give them a call and ask for them to email you or fax you their weekly "menu" with current prices.

We just picked up an order of almost 700 pounds of turkey necks, organs and beef hearts and ribs for .70 per pound on average. This order should put us through the next couple of months LOL

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
We order from the Denver branch all the time. The prices vary...but seem to be relatively constant. For example, turkey necks are about .68-.92 per pound on average.

I would give them a call and ask for them to email you or fax you their weekly "menu" with current prices.

We just picked up an order of almost 700 pounds of turkey necks, organs and beef hearts and ribs for .70 per pound on average. This order should put us through the next couple of months LOL
are you getting these prices, natalie, because of the sheer tonnage you're ordering? or are these prices DFC's pricing?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
are you getting these prices, natalie, because of the sheer tonnage you're ordering? or are these prices DFC's pricing?
That's their normal pricing... nothing special for us :wink: They sell to stores and restaurants so even though what we're ordering may seem big to us, it's a VERY small order compared to the places that pick their stuff up in Semis

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Our Harvest distributor has a "Colorado Raw Meat and Bone Feeders" club that you order through...not sure if the prices are special for that or what? I doubt it though....

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
That's their normal pricing... nothing special for us :wink: They sell to stores and restaurants so even though what we're ordering may seem big to us, it's a VERY small order compared to the places that pick their stuff up in Semis
one of our distributors:

here:

turkey necks 80 c
beef hearts 1.62
liver whole 1.26 - 1.31
kidney beef 84 c
beef spare rib ungraded 1.50

:(

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
we have a harvest meats in portland, OR

but we don't have one here....

this is plymouth poultry and it's in seattle....

we do have willamette valley in portland.....some of their prices are cheaper...but it's a four hour drive....

even our co op doesn't get pricing like this, although i did get chicken frames for 43 cents/lb -- not quite sure what they look like, tho. my dogs are small, so chicken frames for bone is easier for them...turkey necks are a little too heavy for what they need...although i always have some around.

although, right now we have chunked bone in grass fed/grass finished beef real cheap :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have discovered that Harvest Meat will deliver in my area which is good. I can't find pricing and am also wondering if there is a minimum amount one must order for them to deliver?

I will be getting a small freezer, (if I'm allowed to have it outside), that will be about 5 cu ft which should hold quite a bit of meat in addition to the freezer in the fridge in the house. Will they deliver to someone only ordering about 100 pounds of meat, (if that much), at a time?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The harvest here doesn't require a minimum order at all...they might if they deliver. I would call and ask

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't shop around as much as others because I only have one 30lbs. dog to feed that eats around .75lbs. a day. I'm guessimating I spend around $40 a bucks now because I mainly feed beef now. When I was feeding primarily poultry, I was spending less than $28 a month.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I don't shop around as much as others because I only have one 30lbs. dog to feed that eats around .75lbs. a day. I'm guessimating I spend around $40 a bucks now because I mainly feed beef now. When I was feeding primarily poultry, I was spending less than $28 a month.
we have two dogs....one 36 lb corgi mix and one 18 lb pug.

i belong to this co op.....and it's all their fault that i have all these options. LOL

if i didn't, i probably would not be exposed to all of these foods, other than grocery stores and ethnic markets.

not complaining.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The kibble we fed before breaks down to $2.50/lb. Right now, in our learning phase of RAW, we are probably feeding at about $1.50. But have started hunting as recommended on here (thanks) and have found some amazing deals on chicken quarters, necks and backs, that will take us almost under $1.00 including beef livers and chicken livers. Hell even if the price stayed the same at $2.50/lb, we can feed sirloin instead of kibble.

·
Registered
30 Posts
New Member here...

I fed our last Bullmastiff raw for the 1st few years of his life. We found a meat packing company that would sell us 'bricks' of ground beef with some bone, fat, and carrots mixed in...
$50 for $50.

Anyways, I've been reading here and learned that there may be a better way to do things.
We now have a new Bullmastiff puppy (7 months and 85 pounds).
He has not been fed raw yet (except for some bones with scraps from the local butcher).

We have tried a bunch of 'premium' kibble and the dehydrated 'raw'. Not working for him. He gets terrible allergies, and is itching himself raw.

My puppy is allergic to chicken (and I suspect all poultry)...
I called Harvest Meats today, and inquired about ordering through them.

I didn't know what to order. I asked about the mutton (He does good with lamb), and beef (sales guy recommended shanks)...

The shank (cut) is 1.55lb for a 65-70lb box
The mutton (cut) is 2.55 lb for a 45 lb box

Is shank and mutton good meat to start him on?

Can I just buy 1 of the 2 or do I have to give him both to mix it up?

I have a small fridge/freezer that I can dedicate for his food. Will that be large enough to hold the 45 pounds of mutton and/or 65 pounds of mutton?

Thanks for your help.

By the way, I agree 100% that feeding raw is way better for our dogs. But buying through a pet store can get really, expensive.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hello and welcome! Glad to hear you're choosing to feed raw to your pup. Since he hasnt had any raw just yet you need to be careful and switch him over gradually. I suggest you read through the "getting started" guide provided by the link below in my signature. It'll answer all the questions you have asked thus far and will set you on the right track.

Dogs who show symptoms of chicken allergies on kibble do not show allergy symptoms on raw chicken. It has to do with proteins not changing shape due to cooking and not causing an allergic response when in their natural form.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks.
I did read that a couple of days ago. I will re-read it, and see if it clears up how I should order his food.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts