Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If getting started on RAW, breaking down your cost of meat and freezer space is VERY important especially if you have big dogs or multiple dogs.

Here is our breakdown for our dogs (we don't include the cost of the cat...she gets the scraps LOL)

Finding a freezer is easier than you think, free ones are posted on craigslist all the time so I would say that cost is neglegible.

Here is a guide for determining how much freezer space you will need:

28 cu. ft. of freezer space for ~500 lbs. of meat
14 cu. ft. of freezer space for ~250 lbs. of meat
7 c u. ft. of freezer space for ~125 lbs. of meat

We have an upright freezer that is about 24 cu. ft. and we routinely buy ~300# of meat at a time. We could fit much more considering we package our meat into containers that hold 2-3 days worth of meat.

300# of meat usually will last about a month and a half or two.

We have 4 dogs that weigh:

Shiloh: 65
Emmy: 65
Akasha (currently growing): 65
Bailey: 115

We buy meat that is on average (adding up all the costs of the different meats we buy and dividing by the # of meats) 60-75 cents per pound

Shiloh, Emmy and Akasha all cost us ~ $1 per day to feed

Bailey costs us ~$2 per day to feed

The meats we buy on a regular basis:

chicken backs, turkey necks, beef heart, pork ribs, pork roasts, whole tilapia, pollock fillets, lamb ribs, beef liver, chicken liver, beef kidneys, etc.

This breakdown does not include all the free meat that we have found to come in contact with (trust me its out there, ya just gotta know where and how to look for it ;)

So, looking at the breakdown, is RAW worth it???

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is some fine information Natalie. Thanks alot.:biggrin:

Reactions: DaneMama

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was just thinking about how many people ask me how much it costs us to feed our troops raw. They are taken aback when we tell them that we feed them all for so cheap.

And that breakdown is is based on the high end of our cost :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
More than worth it!

Saved money on vet bills!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If getting started on RAW, breaking down your cost of meat and freezer space is VERY important especially if you have big dogs or multiple dogs.

Here is our breakdown for our dogs (we don't include the cost of the cat...she gets the scraps LOL)

Finding a freezer is easier than you think, free ones are posted on craigslist all the time so I would say that cost is neglegible.

Here is a guide for determining how much freezer space you will need:

28 cu. ft. of freezer space for ~500 lbs. of meat
14 cu. ft. of freezer space for ~250 lbs. of meat
7 c u. ft. of freezer space for ~125 lbs. of meat

We have an upright freezer that is about 24 cu. ft. and we routinely buy ~300# of meat at a time. We could fit much more considering we package our meat into containers that hold 2-3 days worth of meat.

300# of meat usually will last about a month and a half or two.

We buy meat that is on average (adding up all the costs of the different meats we buy and dividing by the # of meats) 60-75 cents per pound

Shiloh, Emmy and Akasha all cost us ~ $1 per day to feed

Bailey costs us ~$2 per day to feed

The meats we buy on a regular basis:

chicken backs, turkey necks, beef heart, pork ribs, pork roasts, whole tilapia, pollock fillets, lamb ribs, beef liver, chicken liver, beef kidneys, etc.

This breakdown does not include all the free meat that we have found to come in contact with (trust me its out there, ya just gotta know where and how to look for it ;)

So, looking at the breakdown, is RAW worth it???
WOW - what a great post. It's an eye opener and a definite reason to switch. Where do you typically buy all the meat?

Thanks for the great info.

- Jean

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
WOW - what a great post. It's an eye opener and a definite reason to switch. Where do you typically buy all the meat?

Thanks for the great info.

- Jean
We buy from a company called Harvest Meat Company here in Denver
Welcome to Harvest Meat Company!

They have locations across the US

San Diego
Sacramento
Phoenix
Denver
Dallas/Fort Worth
Kansas City
Sioux City
Orlando
Portland
Los Angeles

You can try looking for a similar distributor or find a co-op in your area

·
Registered
939 Posts
We buy from a company called Harvest Meat Company here in Denver
Welcome to Harvest Meat Company!

They have locations across the US

San Diego
Sacramento
Phoenix
Denver
Dallas/Fort Worth
Kansas City
Sioux City
Orlando
Portland
Los Angeles

You can try looking for a similar distributor or find a co-op in your area
I'm picking up my order from them tomorrow. :biggrin: So excited!!! lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow, thanks! I am looking in to switching to raw for at least one of my Danes. After I saw your cost I might switch them all! I spend way more per day per dog. They are currently eating Solid Gold kibble and Merrick and Evangers canned.

Diesel is having some skin issues, they lady I purchase my food from recommended the honest kitchen, Its really a great food but he doesnt like it. I have been adding raw chicken and giving him a turkey neck which he loves but still wont eat the other food! I am going to try raw and see how he does on that. He is a 10 month old Dane. He is just over 34", I havent weighed him for awhile. He has lost a bit of weight since he doesnt like his food. Any recomendations?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
1,713 Posts

are those numbers in kilograms or are your dogs puppies?

ETA-10/2009

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Their weight is in pounds.... :confused: :confused:
i didnt se the post date. that was prob when they were puppies. i thought it wasa recent post and im like 65 pounds???

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i didnt se the post date. that was prob when they were puppies. i thought it wasa recent post and im like 65 pounds???
Two of our dogs only weigh 65 pounds because one is a foxhound mix and the other is a wolf hybrid/husky mix. We only have two great Danes, Bailey and Akasha, 120 and 85 respectively.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks again! All my Danes and horses are great. I havent been on this site for awhile but am needing it desperatly right now! All my other dogs have done well on the food I have been feeding them. My husband's has decided to keep his Boston on Honest Kitchen. He takes her to work with him and feeds just before he goes. I am deffinitely switching Diesel to just raw. I bought more turkey necks and chicken parts today! Lol. He gobbled up dinner!

By the way Diesel is my newest baby, a beautiful Harlequin male we imported from Russia. I will have to post some pictures of him. I am in the process of getting him AKC registered and then we plan on showing him. Once I get his skin cleared up! Poor boy! He is very fair skinned.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
how's the wolf hybrids temperment/ do you know the percentage of wolf? does he have different eating preferences?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how's the wolf hybrids temperment/ do you know the percentage of wolf? does he have different eating preferences?
Shiloh (wolf) has a wonderful disposition. A lot of other hybrid owners say that we are very lucky with her. She is ~50% wolf hybrid with husky. She is the most open and friendliest dog of ours. She goes up and says hello to all dogs and people. We can even take her to off leash parks and weekend long camping trips in the middle of no where and have 99% trust in her that she will stick around.

She eats just the same way as our other dogs, although she is more protective of her food.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yay, now that I've gotten Chocolate readily accepting chicken via the
tough-love method LOL and we are no longer limited to expensive beef necks and pork ribs. My cost estimate has really gone down. It may cost us $0.42 a day to feed raw *does the happy dance*. Since a pack of 8 VERY meaty chicken legs is now 2.82-3.00 at the grocery store.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the info danesmama08.

I did a breakdown of what EVO has been costing us per month. Frankly, I am shocked. I also broke that down to per dog costs but it isn't quite accurate because Barnum eats more than Bailey right now. He's still growing but the growth has slowed down.

Per day on EVO: $3.84 per dog! Yikes!

We are making the switch starting in June 2010.

Bailey last weighed 130 lbs
Barnum weighs 105.2 lbs as of 5/25/10.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info danesmama08.

I did a breakdown of what EVO has been costing us per month. Frankly, I am shocked. I also broke that down to per dog costs but it isn't quite accurate because Barnum eats more than Bailey right now. He's still growing but the growth has slowed down.

Per day on EVO: $3.84 per dog! Yikes!

We are making the switch starting in June 2010.

Bailey last weighed 130 lbs
Barnum weighs 105.2 lbs as of 5/25/10.
Glad to hear that you're making the switch...you wont regret it and we will all be here to help and guide you along the way. I would start getting your ducks in a row now and finding connections for meat (wholesale distributors, ethnic markets, butchers, etc), look for a freezer if you don't already have one and do as much reading into getting started on the switch as possible. I have written a "getting started" article (link below) that goes mcuh in depth about what to do and what not to do. Read through it, I wrote it because I have yet to find something similar on the web that goes through things quite so extensively. There is also a "quick start" guide for easy reference on the same site, as well as the "why's" to feeding raw and other's success stories to help give you confidence.

How to get started | Prey Model Raw

Getting Started (quick start) | Prey Model Raw

·
Registered
126 Posts
Diesel has been on Raw for over a month now and is doing great. I just switched my husbands Boston yesterday. Her name is Pie. She loved her meal. Grant is not thrilled and is worried she is going to choke on a bone. I told him just to shut up and deal with it! He thinks I am crazy now! maybe I am!!! Pie has had issues with ear infections and itchy skin. I will keep everyone posted on her progress. I plan on also switching over Magnum who is almost 6, I am waiting until after June 5th. I am walking Magnum and Diesel in a local Doggie Dash for SPCA and don't want to deal with diarhhea just in case he has a reaction. When I add up how much it is costing me to feed him on kibbe and canned it just makes sense. Magnum eats an average of 10 cups dry and 2 cans daily. Just his canned food is costing me almost 5 dollars a day!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts