Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give the boys raw meaty bones a couple times a week, but to be honest, I'm pretty bone-retarded. Which are best? Which aren't ok? Everywhere website I look at says something different. I get mine from a local mom-and-pop place and they get variations of elk and venison marrow bones, femurs, ribs, and knuckles. (mostly knuckles) Are any of these not ok? I don't have a ton of freezer space (ok, so really I have pretty much none) to order cases in bulk, so I just buy the ones I get at work one or two at a time. They've never had any issues.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
As far as I know it, you aren't supposed to feed weight-bearing bones from large mammals, so that would leave out the femur and knuckle bones. The rib bones should be ok to feed though.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Yes to what rannmiller said. The weight bearing bones of large animals are more dense than your dogs teeth. They are designed to support up to 1,000 lbs of weight. One bite the wrong way and there goes a tooth. I have heard of many dogs getting broken, chipped, and cracked teeth from eating these bones.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew femurs weren't great, but I have been giving my shepherd mix knuckles without problems, I guess I should rethink that.
So what's best, and where do I get it? I don't have much freezer space at all....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes to what rannmiller said. The weight bearing bones of large animals are more dense than your dogs teeth. They are designed to support up to 1,000 lbs of weight. One bite the wrong way and there goes a tooth. I have heard of many dogs getting broken, chipped, and cracked teeth from eating these bones.
Yeah, my wolf hybrid learned this the hard way. Ended up splitting a carnasial tooth horizontally and had to have it surgically removed :frown:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I've never seen raw beef necks around, I guess thats something I'd have to get at the slaughter cut/wrap house.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
My local pet speciality store that sells all the good kibble and pre packaged raw foods sells frozen bones, no beef necks though.:frown: They stopped selling my dogs favorite bison rib bones because they said they had a customer's dog who had one explode in his throat, do you think they would stop selling their bison knuckle bone if I had told them that a piece had dislodged and got stuck in my bull terrier's throat and it cost me $800.00 in vet bills.:eek: Yeah, probably not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts