Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Great Pyrenees foster pup that has had ongoing skin problems. So far she has had vaccinosis and is allergic to chicken. I'm trying to give her immune system a boost by feeding her top quality food, but don't want to go full on raw because it's unlikely that her adoptive family will continue with it.

I'm considering using half kibble and half Bravo, but have to admit that I'm confused about the 'proper' protein levels for a large breed puppy. With Bravo I can't even calculate the actual content due to the high moisture levels. The calcium content seems to be okay though.

Any advice?

CAt

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm considering using half kibble and half Bravo, but have to admit that I'm confused about the 'proper' protein levels for a large breed puppy. With Bravo I can't even calculate the actual content due to the high moisture levels. The calcium content seems to be okay though.
I don't recommend feeding Bravo to any dog for various reasons although it's many times better than any kibble you can get. There is no need to worry about protein levels when the protein is animal based. The greatest amount of protein in Bravo is animal based so it shouldn't be a problem.

I raised a Great Dane puppy on a prey model raw diet and protein was never a problem. Neither was calcium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: bravo?

I don't recommend feeding Bravo to any dog for various reasons although it's many times better than any kibble you can get.
I'm curious to hear what you find wrong with Bravo - I've never heard anything negative about it. I thought it would be a good supplement to kibble since I don't want to feed a foster dog raw since it's unlikely that it would be continued once she is adopted.

Cat

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm curious to hear what you find wrong with Bravo - I've never heard anything negative about it.
There is nothing wrong with Bravo that isn't wrong with any of the premix dog foods. In general they have too much bone and a good many veggies. As I said before Bravo is still many times better than kibble, just not as good as prey model raw by a long shot.

I thought it would be a good supplement to kibble since I don't want to feed a foster dog raw since it's unlikely that it would be continued once she is adopted.
I know several rescue people and several breeders who won't adopt out their pups/dogs to anyone unless they agree to feed a raw diet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
RE

Unfortunately we have way too many dogs in need of rescue to have the luxury of being that choosy. We can only save as many dogs as there are foster homes for, and we can't leave some to die just because we'd prefer that they be fed raw. Maybe someday, but not today.

I know several rescue people and several breeders who won't adopt out their pups/dogs to anyone unless they agree to feed a raw diet.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
What is your opinion of Primal Raw Organic????
That question covers too big a spectrum to answer specifically. In general let me say that I don't like premix anything. Premixes in general have too much bone, its all ground, it contains too many veggies and fruits, and its way way more expensive than just feeding whole animal parts.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Too much bone but none of the teeth cleaning benefits of bone. Plus, as RFD said, waaaaay too expensive. It's handy/convenient but not for what you get and what you pay. But it certainly is about a million times better than regular kibble so you're doing ok there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts