Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started supplementing my 8wk old chihuahua puppy with raw chicken drummets, He did great cleaning all the meat off and absolutely loved it...he's actually refusing kibble right now >.< The thing is though, he hasn't even tried to eat the bones, I'm not sure he's realized he can. Can I crack them open so he can get at the marrow and hopefully be encouraged to chew the bones?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
What I would suggest you do is the next time you give him a chicken drummie or wing is to whack it with a kitchen mallet or hammer a few times until it seems like mush. He should be able to eat the whole thing. Eventually you will want to crunch it less for him, so he can do the job instead. Hope this helps :wink:

Hello and welcome!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I forgot to post back on this. I hit the bones with a hammer a few times to make nice big pieces that were a little easier to manage plus exposed some of the marrow and he went nuts for them....scared me a couple times to be honest I thought he was going to choke. But he loved it and did fantastic with it. He pooped a bone fragment the next day which scared the crap out of me again but I found out that is normal so I'd say it was a success.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Yes, you will see bone fragments from time to time until your pup has been doing raw for awhile and his digestive juices are fully engaged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts