Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RawFeDogs, this is the first time and most likely the last time I well ever disagree with you. But I saw a post of yours about chicken bones, which I can't find now. I had a real bad incident with a chicken bone getting stuck in my dogs throat. It was bad, emegency surgery and the whole nine yards, to include a nice chunk of change. I then had a similiar thing happen to my room mate, but this time it was a steak bone. Both dogs were GS and some times they are just big pigs who don't chew very well. I do not recommend any bones to these types of dogs unless it is ground first.
View attachment 360

·
Registered
83 Posts
RawFeDogs, this is the first time and most likely the last time I well ever disagree with you. But I saw a post of yours about chicken bones, which I can't find now. I had a real bad incident with a chicken bone getting stuck in my dogs throat. It was bad, emegency surgery and the whole nine yards, to include a nice chunk of change. I then had a similiar thing happen to my room mate, but this time it was a steak bone. Both dogs were GS and some times they are just big pigs who don't chew very well. I do not recommend any bones to these types of dogs unless it is ground first.
View attachment 360
Just curious.. Are you still feeding raw? If yes, what type of meat and bones are you now giving to your German sheppard?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I feed my dog a mixture of Orjiem, Innova and California Natural. I feed wet 3 times a day(he is not yet 6 months) with a small amount of Innova wet food and a half teaspoon of Vet line Puppy Vitamins per meal. This is about 2/3 of what they recommend. He has to play with this big Mastif so he has to be ready to go.
View attachment 362
Sorry that you guys went through that horrible experience.
I am new to raw myself, so I can say much.

Since I got my pup months ago, I gave her occasionally some meaty bones while she was on kibble. I am just guessing, But I think that with that experience she learned how to chrunch the bones and now I am feeding her excusively raw chicken.
She doing much better than When she was on kibble but I can't hide my fears....

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I'm sorry about yours and your friend's experiences with this but I have to ask, were these bones cooked or raw and how big were they? Cooked bones should never ever ever EVER be fed because they are hard to digest and dangerous to dogs. Also, if they were too small for the dog, they could swallow it whole and potentially choke on it. I think we're gonna need more detail on exactly what happened to see what the real problem is because my dogs eat bones - primarily steak and chicken bones - almost every single day and have never once had a problem with it. But they're always raw and always too big to swallow whole.

So I will have to disagree with you on grinding. When you grind the bones it takes away one of the main purposes of feeding them, which is so the dogs have to crunch them a little which helps to clean their teeth.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
RawFeDogs, this is the first time and most likely the last time I well ever disagree with you.
Hehe, I doubt it. If so, you will be the only one to disagree with me only once. :smile:

But I saw a post of yours about chicken bones, which I can't find now. I had a real bad incident with a chicken bone getting stuck in my dogs throat.
What kind of chicken bone and how did your dog get hold of it? Did it have meat on it or was it basically a bare bone?

I then had a similiar thing happen to my room mate, but this time it was a steak bone.
On this one, I will bet money it was a left over T-bone from a good T-bone steak. Those bones are weird shaped(not natural), brittle, very dense, and have sharp edges on them. I would never allow my dogs eat a bone like that. T-bones are probably the most dangerous bones a dog can get hold of. Pork chop bones are the same.

Both dogs were GS and some times they are just big pigs who don't chew very well. I do not recommend any bones to these types of dogs unless it is ground first.[/QUOTE]

Feeding ground bone is more dangerous than a plain ole raw bone. Again, dogs don't chew like humans. Don't expect them to have human manners. I won't go into all that again right now. :smile:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't know how big your GS is but if the chicken bone you gave him was just bone, or the piece of chicken you gave him was too small, it is possible that this was the underlying cause for the problem.

I size raw chicken parts for each of my dogs according to their size. The smaller dog gets smaller pieces, but all have meat on them and all are too large for him to gulp. He has to chew them. The larger dog gets even bigger pieces for the same reason. I never let the big dog eat the little dog's food because she will just gulp it. Maybe your GS is big enough to eat a 1/2 chicken at a time. If so, feed him the entire half so he has to chew it down to size himself.

I agree with RFD on steak bones as well as pork chop bones. I also feed my dogs pork shoulder but like a T-bone steak bone, they have sharp edges so those get removed and discarded. Pork ribs are the best. They have a decent amount of meat and the bones are soft and round. Both of my dogs love them!

Dogs will eat just about anything but they are not garbage disposals. You need to apply a little common sense when feeding them any kind of bones but there really isn't enough information in your post to discern exactly what you or your roommate did (meat or no meat? cooked or raw? size of bones? etc.).

·
Registered
77 Posts
yes, never cooked bones! I can't tell you how many chicken wing bones I've pulled out of my dog's mouth on walks. Ick. The only way they're OK is a type of pressure cooking...

that said, I read one piece of info by a woman running a kennel (breeder, rescue, I forget) who said she always grinds the bone she is giving to dogs due to a dog choking and then dying because of the inability to get it out of its throat. It was a raw turkey bone. Has to be horrible to go through for dog and human.

I give Lucy marrow bones as treats regularly (she loves em) but never leave her with them unattended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts