Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie to the raw feeding thing, this question concerns the eventual bone total. We have two comfortably on a chicken quarter, usually 12-14oz in the AM and a boneless breast(I debone it) 8-10 oz in evening. My butcher suggests that the total bone weight in a quarter is around 25%. With that % at present the guys are getting about 15% bone per day, which is getting nearer the goal. Once we have added 3ish new meat sources and eventually organ during the next 3-4 weeks, it seems to me that going to a couple of meat only AM feedings will pretty much get us to the 10% goal. Then it just becomes a matter of doing a poo patrol. I am thinking this right?

Really excited as tommorrow I pick up 50#s of quarters at .39 per pound.:cool:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I think you're worrying about it a little too much. Just keep an eye on your dogs poops...
soft = not enough bone
dry/crumbly = too much bone

It all balances out over time. Too much bone one day and not enough another? Don't stress it.

Some of our meals have high bone content, some have none. :wink:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't give bone volume a second thought. Whatever is there, I feed. Excess calcium is eliminated through the kidneys. I do what Jon does. I let the dogs tell me through their stools.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Sounds to me like you are on the right track. But I would base your bone content from "poo patrol" and go from what Jon said as well.

The undigested part of the bone replaces fiber, so it adds bulk to their stool. So they should be very firm and turn white within a day or two, and powder within a week or two.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Was really very comfortable with everything since starting as there have been no problems. I don't even have to wipe up the floor when they are done; they won't eat unless they are laying on a towel. Yes I am one of those types, that if things are going well something is wrong or about to go wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts