Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been careful about feeding and exercise - to leave enough time between eating and exercise both before and after. Poodles can get bloat (not as much as a worry than for the giant breeds, but still.).

So with raw food - is there still a worry about not a ton of exercise before and after eating?

Thanks,
Carol

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Bloat (more appropriately GVD= gastric volvulous and dilation) is a random occurrence and truly cannot be "prevented" by anything other than surgery.

Raw foods don't prevent bloat at all, but it may decrease the chances of GVD from happening. I think this may be true because kibble expands in the stomach which causes more gas to be produced which can trigger torsion of the stomach.

As a foster home for the local Dane rescue, we are well informed and have plenty of experience dealing with GVD. I will tell you from experience that you could do all the tricks in the book to help prevent a dog from bloating, but in the end it doesn't work very effectively.

If you are worried about GVD, I would get a gastropexy done to prevent it 99%. Totally worth it in my opinion. You will spend $500-1000 on a preventative surgery depending on where you live but if you're dog bloats, you're looking at a $5K+ surgery and a very sick dog for weeks or quite possibly a dead dog after that. There's no option to me, a gastropexy is just as important as a spay/neuter on any large/giant breed dog or any other dog that is prone to GVD.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the question BSP and the answer danemama. I too have wondered if a raw diet made dogs that are prone to bloat, less prone. I did not know about the gastropexy when I had Grace spayed. Rest assured that when Noah gets neutered (he has a retained testicle and has to be opened up anyway) that a gastropexy will be done!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up on that. It's a great idea. I'll keep that in mind when I get my next puppy (we plan to get another puppy when Toffee is 4 or 5). As for now, a standard poodle is probably worlds away from GVD than a great dane.

Carol

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As for now, a standard poodle is probably worlds away from GVD than a great dane.
Both my parents standard Poodles bloated (not at the same time, different times). Luckily we knew what to look for and got them both to the vet in time. I hope it never happens to anyone's dogs...it's horrible and so scary! :frown:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really!! BOTH of them bloated. Was there a reason for it - i.e. exercising too close to the time they ate? Were they on raw or kibble? I was thinking that it was a low possibility for poodles. Yikes!

I certainly couldn't carry my larger dog if it happened - he's 85 lbs at full weight. Now he's skinnier because of all of the diarrhea. Hmmmm. I'll mention to my husband the idea of surgery.

Carol

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Really!! BOTH of them bloated. Was there a reason for it - i.e. exercising too close to the time they ate? Were they on raw or kibble? I was thinking that it was a low possibility for poodles. Yikes!

I certainly couldn't carry my larger dog if it happened - he's 85 lbs at full weight. Now he's skinnier because of all of the diarrhea. Hmmmm. I'll mention to my husband the idea of surgery.

Carol
We don't have a clue what brought it about. Both were eating kibble. No, it wasn't too close to eating and excersie. Their female bloated late at night. I do know that the cost of the preventative surgery is a lot less then the cost of the emergency surgery and the after care....:frown:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts