Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's the story.
Two years ago I worked for Camp Bow Wow-El Cajon (San Diego) and they had a foster program set up, and would foster dogs from various breed rescues in the county. Now, I have worked several places that foster, and am actually pretty good at not getting attached to them, and being happy for them when we send them off to new homes. But there was one that totally wiggled his way into a place in my heart no other foster touched.

His name is Taco. He's a Cocker Spaniel, not usually one of my breeds of choice (no offense to anyone, I just tend to like some other breeds more) but this was seriously one amazing dog. At the time I had Champ, as well as my Beagle, Max. I was able to bring Taco home every now and then for weekends, but I was living with my mom at the time and she refused to let me adopt him. We ended up moving to Utah, and my last day of work was so painful. I hated not seeing him anymore. I called and checked up in him daily until he was eventually adopted out to a couple.

Fast forward to now. I came across the Spaniel Rescue on facebook, and there he was. He's back at the rescue. My heart absolutely sank for this little guy. He is the best dog ever, I don't understand why people keep dumping him like he's nothing! It's always a "moving and cant take him" situation, never a behavior problem. It's not really a secret that Jon and I planned on getting another dog this year, but were leaning towards a puppy. I feel like this little guy has shown up in my life again and I'd be a fool to let him go again, even if it means no more puppies.

Now, when I knew Taco two years ago his vision was incredibly poor, but I'm pretty sure he could see some. It's my understanding that he's all but blind now. I haven't had a blind dog before, but I don't find it to be a big deal. Is there anything I should know about having a blind dog before attempting to proceed with this adoption? I know two years ago he did well with champ. Annie is a little CRAZY, okay, maybe more than a little... and I'm hoping that isn't too much for him.

Sorry this is so long, Had to give the background before getting to the actual one question I had. lol:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Taco might be a bit overwhelmed by Annie and Griss at first and stairs will probably be a bit of a challenge but I think he should be fine other than that. I think that vision is actually a dog's weakest sense (except in sighthounds, obviously) since it's the last to develop so he should be pretty normal aside from bumping into things on occasion.

It might be best to start him off in a smaller part of the house and let him get familiar with the rooms slowly throughout the day. Also, be very careful about rearranging the furniture as this could greatly confuse him.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have owned two blind dogs and have worked for a veterinary ophthamalogist. My first blind dog actually turned into a better dog once she lost her vision. She was a Samoyed and lost both her eyes to glaucoma. Once she was totally blind she became a lot less paranoid and calmer. She learned to get around the house just fine and we could even take her for walks in the woods and she had no problem at all with it. To make things easier for her we didn't have things like a coffee table that was in the middle of the living room and we'd push the kitchen chairs back under the table when we got up. Little things that made it easier for her to navigate.

I think you will be just fine with him. Keep the furniture the exact same once he moves in with you. Give him a bed or crate and let him know exactly where it is so he can always find his way there and to the food and water bowls without help. Make sure you have gates up near any stairs or open doorways so he can't get 'lost' in a room or fall and get hurt. My girl got herself stuck in a room once when she wandered in a door and it closed behind her. Best thing I can think of is to crawl around on the floor like a cocker spaniel before you get him and see what you bump into with your eyes closed. See what sharp edges there are or things you could run into that you dont' even realize are there. It's the same thing you would do if you had a two year old suddenly coming to live with you. A blind animal is similar. They can accidently get in trouble without realizing it.

The big thing is to make sure he can't get out of your yard without you knowing it. My one dog got under the fence and wandered off and I was in a panick until I found her 4 houses down.

Good luck. The dog is lucky to have you!!! Cockers are so cute with those ears!

·
Banned
493 Posts
it's great that you are thinking about adopting Taco. It really seems like he ended up in another shelter for a reason. Sounds like fate brough you two together. Considering that he's blind, I would think that everything will turn out to be fine. It may be a bit rough at first, but I'm sure he'll adapt to his enviroment after a while. He'll figure things out. Remember, dog's don't have particularly keen eye sight to begin with. They rely much more on their sense of smell (at least this is what I understand).

Hell, who knows? Maybe a raw diet will restore his vision!

Good luck with Taco, he should be a very special dog and is very lucky to have an owner who will actually take care of him well, making his handicapt not an issue at all.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I think it would be wonderful for you to do that for Taco, and you never know one of the other dogs may turn out to be his eyes, it's been known to happen. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys!
I didn't even think about introducing him any differently!! That's a good idea.
We already have the lower level baby gated off to keep the dogs downstairs during the day, and other than a little half bath, the lower level is totally open concept, no closed rooms at all, would that be too much of a big open space do you think??
We don't have a coffee table or anything, rather two little end tables at each side of the couch. Coffee tables take up too much floor space that is better used for the dogs to play in.

I can tell Jon is hesitent. I'm want him to go to san diego this weekend to meet him, so hopefully we can arrange that.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys!
I didn't even think about introducing him any differently!! That's a good idea.
We already have the lower level baby gated off to keep the dogs downstairs during the day, and other than a little half bath, the lower level is totally open concept, no closed rooms at all, would that be too much of a big open space do you think??
We don't have a coffee table or anything, rather two little end tables at each side of the couch. Coffee tables take up too much floor space that is better used for the dogs to play in.

I can tell Jon is hesitant. I'm want him to go to san diego this weekend to meet him, so hopefully we can arrange that.
no that amount of space sounds perfect. as i said, he'll adapt to the environment using his other senses, predominantly smell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts