Dog Food Chat banner

Blenders?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  rannmiller 
#1 ·
Hey, my cat really likes her food in more of a mush pate than chunks, any ideas on how blenders handle bones? I'd rather get some feedback before attempting it and destroying my blender.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hey, my cat really likes her food in more of a mush pate than chunks, any ideas on how blenders handle bones? I'd rather get some feedback before attempting it and destroying my blender. Thanks!
I wouldn't put bones in a blender. I'm not sure the blender would survive. :) I also wouldn't be too concerned about how my cat prefered his meals. I would feed him what I want to feed him. My cats are a little different in that they have access to a lot of wildlife outside and regularly furnish their own meals. :)

#3 ·
My cats are indoor only, but they have no problem with stealing chicken legs or wings of the counter and making a meal of it! My husband gives them steak bones or beef rib bones too, cooked, they love them.

Years ago I had a cat that went outdoors, it brought home a half of a squirrel and tried to hide it. I don't know where the other half was, I assume she ate it. Another time she brought home a 3 ft black snake. She didn't eat it, just wanted to show it off and play with the wiggly ends for a while.

Why does your cat only like mush? Is it old? My cats will eat pretty much anything they can get into. I have one that loves Cheerios and any kind of cheese crackers. They love crunchy things.

#4 ·
Well she is 13 but I don't know, she just seems to prefer the mush. However, if she gets hungry enough, I'm sure she'll get over it. In the mean time I'll just try to chop it up really well and hope for the best.

#7 · (Edited)
Maybe since she's 13 her teeth aren't as healthy as they used to be, or she might have something causing pain in her mouth as she eats. Even sinus trouble can cause chewing pain. So can a broken tooth, tumors in head, mouth or throat. Has the vet checked her to see if there is any physical reason she might be avoiding food that isn't mush?

#6 ·
She seems to be enjoying the raw meat as I give it to her (chopped up as well as I can) mixed in with her canned mush. I'm hoping to wean her off of the mush and onto the chopped raw goodness. Let's see how she likes trout!

#8 ·
I'll go ahead and do that, but she never really seemed interested in the chunks. She'd lick the gravy off and leave the chunks but she eats kibble and feline Greenies like no other, so I don't think it's a tooth thing. Now that I've been mixing the raw small chunks in there, she's been eating them, bone and all. I even put a chunk of trout tail in there to see if she'd pick at it and she ate the whole thing! She gets super excited when she sees me getting her food ready every night and cleans the bowl and I can already see the improvement in her excrement so that's exciting.

#9 · (Edited)
How about feeding medallions instead?

Hi, I switched my cats to raw medallions - I buy Primal and Nature's Variety brands (they include ground and/or small pieces of bones). I've decided it's easier than going through what you're attempting - I didn't think my blender would survive and I find the extra cost/convenience to be worth it. My cats are 14 and I used to feed them a combo of dry kibble/canned. To mimic the canned food, I use a grapefruit spoon to mash up the raw medallions and add Vitamin C powder and an oil supplement. This way their eating habits haven't changed much - they simply lick as usual. This has been better for my senior cats as they do have some plaque/tartar which I am addressing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Stephanie

#10 · (Edited)
So I put in the blender, chopped up chicken and bone, chicken liver, salmon, beef steak, egg whites, tiny bit of flax and spinach, and water. My blender hates me now and reeks to no end, but my cat is very pleased with me. Next time I may just stick to chopping, but I feel bad for my roommate and his once-sharp knives.

Oh and I checked out those raw medallions and I'm not a big fan of them because they have so many fruits and veggies in there, and from what I understand, that's completely unnecessary for my little obligate carnivore kitty. And she's always hated her veggies anyway; some varieties of her canned food had peas in it and she'd lick the bowl clean except for the peas. I'll trust her opinion on that, but thanks for the advice anyway. Maybe if it gets to be too annoying, I'll consider the raw medalions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.