Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I want to stop giving my dog Canidae because he's having major gastric distress. I've been recommended to stop the Canidae and give him a bland diet for a few days and then slowly work the new food in. Therefore Iwanted to see if I could get a SIMPLE bland diet recipe. I am NOT a cook and need something that I can do quickly and without much fuss.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Boiled chicken and brown rice is generally the main diet recommended for sensitive tummy issues.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I'm not sure it's brown rice, but white rice and don't know if it really matters!

·
Registered
151 Posts
we tell clients here to do boiled chicken or hamburger, and boiled white rice, equal parts of each for a few days... I have even done it for my own dog and mixed in kibble after a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
We've done the boiled chicken/hamburger advice too.

For some reason now my vet is suggesting a fast and yogurt, then reintroduce the food with yogurt.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
but yogurt is dairy and dogs generally can't handle much dairy...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think yogurt is recommended because of the live bacteria cultures it contains.
So, it should be a plain fat-free yogurt and just a spoonful, not a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes, the cultures outweigh the lactose, so the doc just said.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I've been recommended pumpkin, and it works with my dogs. When their stools got a bit soft, I'd mix in some pumpkin with their food, or if they ate something bad, I'd cut out the food and give them just a meal of about one-two tablespoons of pumpkin. Never tried the bland diet, actually, but was prescribed a bland kibble for Amaya when she had really bad diarrhea. It did NOTHING for her.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I'd say a chicken leg quarter is a pretty bland diet.....
And easy.
No cooking required!!
:wink::smile::biggrin:

ETA: The problems you've been having sound awfully similar to the way my Corgi started out. I know the meat and rice thing is recommended by a lot of vets, but these are the same vets recommending science diet for heaven's sake, so why do we listen to them on it and what makes this recommendation any more credible than SD?
I personally would not want to give something as carb heavy as rice or potato, especially with what I know from my experience with Grissom, how sensitive your breed is, and the history of tummy issues you've had with him. I would go with chicken. JUST chicken. Obviously I recommend raw with bone to keep stools solid, but IMO 100% chicken in ANY form (cooked, raw, bone included, bone not included) is going to be far superior than and rice mixture.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Of course us raw feeders agree with CorgiPaws. You will get more nutrition from raw chicken and it requires no work...at least on your part :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts