Dog Food Chat banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
A lot of the price differences aren't necessarily WHAT is in the can, but rather WHERE it came from.
True. Like, I wouldn't mind paying the higher prices for Lotus... they have their own cannery. So I know it's coming from a reputable place and not in a huge factory where a gazillion different types of canned foods were being made.

·
Registered
791 Posts
A lot of the price differences aren't necessarily WHAT is in the can, but rather WHERE it came from.
This is a good poiint. A very good point. I think to some degree most kibbles are the same thing with a different label. I went to the pet store today and decided to buy a bag to donate for the shelter as they had a collection box. I obviously wasn't going to spend the kind of money Orijen would be since I was trying to get the best bang for my buck. So I went with the food that happened to be CHEAPER than beneful but it said on the side that it had no GMO in it and said no by-products and basically told me a lot about the food. I don't even remember the name of it now, but the point is it had similar ingredients to the 200 other bags on the shelves but the fact it told me more about it led me to it. So when people are asking "what is the best" such and such I suppose it might help if we were to follow up with asking Are you looking for the best food in terms of quality ingredients that you can trace? Or are you wanting the best food in terms of the best for your buck? I suppose everybody has different views of the best so it might help to single things out like are you okay with by-products and unnamed animal parts...and then it would be important for posters to respect the person's opinion of the best and not try to push them into believing by-products are good or vice versa if they were okay with by-products.

I really think you might want to look into the homemade toppers and not have to worry about any of this LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
What about Nutrisource? They are running $13.80 per case of 12 on petfooddirect. Which is cheaper than the Pedigree Healthy Digestion at $14.49 on same site.

Nutrisource

Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Ocean Fish, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, Dried Egg, Dicalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp, Alfalfa Meal, Calcium Sulfate, Lecithin, Carrageenen, Cranberries, Ascorbic Acid, Choline Chloride, Betaine, Taurine, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Yucca schidigera Extract, Selenium Yeast, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid

Pedigree
Chicken By-products, Sufficient water for processing, Chicken, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Carob Bean Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Carrageenan, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Vegetable Oil, Guar Gum, Dried Yam, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A & D3 Supplements, D-calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate {Vitamin B1}, Biotin), Bay Leaves.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I had a quick look and Petsmart is having a sale on canned Purina Alpo @ 50 cents/can. If it's only as a topper to "sweeten the deal" this should do fine.

·
Banned
939 Posts
This is a good poiint. A very good point. I think to some degree most kibbles are the same thing with a different label. I went to the pet store today and decided to buy a bag to donate for the shelter as they had a collection box. I obviously wasn't going to spend the kind of money Orijen would be since I was trying to get the best bang for my buck. So I went with the food that happened to be CHEAPER than beneful but it said on the side that it had no GMO in it and said no by-products and basically told me a lot about the food. I don't even remember the name of it now, but the point is it had similar ingredients to the 200 other bags on the shelves but the fact it told me more about it led me to it. So when people are asking "what is the best" such and such I suppose it might help if we were to follow up with asking Are you looking for the best food in terms of quality ingredients that you can trace? Or are you wanting the best food in terms of the best for your buck? I suppose everybody has different views of the best so it might help to single things out like are you okay with by-products and unnamed animal parts...and then it would be important for posters to respect the person's opinion of the best and not try to push them into believing by-products are good or vice versa if they were okay with by-products.

I really think you might want to look into the homemade toppers and not have to worry about any of this LOL
How about this. When you push expensive, untested foods from marketing companies that cost 5 times as much with no benefit, you should offer to pay for it.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Monster you make LMAO..........Tell me that this doesn't look much better than all the crap that's added to Purina, besides if he's using it for a topper he doesn't need all the added nutrients if he's already feeding a quality kibble.

Wellness grain free line
Lamb, Water Sufficient for Processing, Natural Flavors, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan.
This is a naturally preserved product.

·
Registered
791 Posts
How about this. When you push expensive, untested foods from marketing companies that cost 5 times as much with no benefit, you should offer to pay for it.

How does that sound?
And again, you can't spout the whole no benefit thing. The canned food I feed my animal is superior and because of that the benefits are great. For instance, the animal food you suggest is so full of carbs an animal will need a dental within a year. My animal, because of the small percentage of carbs, has never needed a dental cleaning. How's that for benefit?

It is, however, your fault you try to justify feeding what you can afford as quality. LOL We all do our bests, but the difference between you and most of the people on here is they're willing to strive to feed the best and not try to act like the crappy foods are okay to justify them spending as little as possible on foods.

And one more thing that gets me, if you guys say these foods have proven track records! Dogs have lived long, long lives on them. LOL well, guess what? 1 in 2 dogs now die of cancer. 1 in 200 dogs are diagnosed with canine diabetes each year. HOW are these foods working? You do realize there's NEVER been a case of diabetes in the wild? 35 million of these dogs are considered overweight and 6.7 million are considered clinically obese... show me an obses animal in the wild. Tell me again, though, how good these foods are working out LOL

Reactions: whiteleo

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Carbs don't really matter much in the way of dentals... texture and consistency of food is going to go much further. ANY dog on a diet consisting of kibble, canned, or pureed food is going to need dentals. Your point there is invalid.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Yes water and the metal can are heavy. Shipping and handling is a significant part of the cost. WHERE it comes from has nothing to do with quality only cost.
you think ingredients sourced from... say... China... have nothing to do with quality or lack thereof?
You're only fooling yourself.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
ANY dog on a diet consisting of kibble, canned, or pureed food is going to need dentals. Your point there is invalid.
If that's the case you are lazy and don't live up to you'r responsibilities as a dog parent. I have never ever had any dental work on any dog I have owned, ever. And except for a period raw feeding they have all been eating kibble.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
If that's the case you are lazy and don't live up to you'r responsibilities as a dog parent. I have never ever had any dental work on any dog I have owned, ever. And except for a period raw feeding they have all been eating kibble.
Let me clarify: they will need dental attention. A diet of kibble, canned, and/or pureed food isn't going to solely maintain oral health. There will need to be some kind of attention or care given... be it routinely at home or annually professionally. The diet won't do it for you.

I assure you I'm living up to m responsibilities as a dog parent... and my dogs have never needed any kind of professional dental care. Those who do not routinely do it at home aren't bad owners though, as long as it's always addressed before causing issue. Sadly, most people wait for there to be fairly advanced gingivitis and decay going on.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Let me clarify: they will need dental attention. A diet of kibble, canned, and/or pureed food isn't going to solely maintain oral health. There will need to be some kind of attention or care given... be it routinely at home or annually professionally. The diet won't do it for you.

I assure you I'm living up to m responsibilities as a dog parent... and my dogs have never needed any kind of professional dental care. Those who do not routinely do it at home aren't bad owners though, as long as it's always addressed before causing issue. Sadly, most people wait for there to be fairly advanced gingivitis and decay going on.
Ok, got you. In the end all dogs need tlc in many areas. I literally spend less than 10 minutes per *month* caring for the teeth. It's a non issue.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I must be crappy owner. I've had to deal with some dental problems with my guys. Its an ordeal brushing their teeth...
You're not a crappy owner! Crappy owners recognize the problem and do nothing about it. Some dogs just HAVE dental issues. Some breeds are more prone to them. I don't think someone is a bad owner if they skip the brushing and just get them professionally done as needed.

Ok, got you. In the end all dogs need tlc in many areas. I literally spend less than 10 minutes per *month* caring for the teeth. It's a non issue.
Oh I agree. Having a dog means you'll have to take time to care for them.
I probably don't clip my dog's nails as often as I should. Bad, bad owner I am...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Um, my dog will most likely need another dental in his lifetime. In fact probably multiple. He had his first dental at age 3. He's now 4 and tarter is beginning to creep up a bit, and I brush every other day with CET toothpaste, use Petzlife gel, HealthyMouth, Proden Plaqueoff and he also gets bully sticks, Himalyan chews, and other dental sticks. Clearly I'm not lazy. And I have NO problem with getting him another dental if necessary. I prefer them being able to clean REALLY good and check things out, and be able to get right up along the gumline, with him being put under. I think it's wise if every dog has at least one dental cleaning in their life, regardless of how the teeth might look to us, you never know what's really going on until their out. Jackson had a dead tooth that I had NO idea about, would have never known. Just like with people, we can take excellent care of our teeth, but it's still advised to get a yearly cleaning professionally. They just do it better than we ever could.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You are lucky! Try having a Yorkie, or other small breed, prone to teeth issues unfortunately.
Obviously there are many breeds and mixes that will have issues no matter what. Still, the best thing you can do is to train your puppy from an early stage to accept you fiddling in and around his/her mouth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just wanted to add to this- it's true that yearly dental cleanings are recommended for all dogs, regardless of how their crowns appear. The majority of the tooth actually lies BELOW the gumline, and without general anesthesia and dental radiographs it is impossible to determine the health of the periodontium. A white appearing crown can actually be hiding severe dental disease.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts