Dog Food Chat banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Kevin, due to the water content you need to feed 3-4 cans of food to equal 3-4 cups roughly of a 30/20 or most GF foods. A good 30/20 is around $.25 a cup compared to a can which can cost $2 -$3 per can. Maybe a bit less than $2 a can for the high-end ones but not much.

If your are going to buy canned food to doll up a dry food with a few teaspoons per day the amount of nutrition is worth zero.

Even Pedigree is expensive compared to even great dry foods.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
There are definitely better canned foods than pedigree out there and I wouldn't be caught dead feeding that. Get a couple of cans of Natures Variety Instinct grain free and tell me it's just as good as Pedigree.........NOT

Reactions: MollyWoppy

·
Registered
385 Posts
I give my guys trippet with their kibble, oh man, they think it's wonderful! I also give yogurt, honest kitchen, pumpkin, scrambled eggs, and other things. But there is *nothing* like trippet to get them excited about eating!
I give them a fair amt. of it, I buy it by the case so it's cheaper that way.
Besides them really liking it, I think that it's good for them.

·
Banned
939 Posts
There are definitely better canned foods than pedigree out there and I wouldn't be caught dead feeding that. Get a couple of cans of Natures Variety Instinct grain free and tell me it's just as good as Pedigree.........NOT
Canned is canned, no material difference except price. One is 78% water and one is 75% water. Saying "meat" is better than by-products is just a human, emotional reaction. If you think the stuff in Nature's Variety is what you would eat, then you are mistaken.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Canned is canned, no material difference except price. One is 78% water and one is 75% water. Saying "meat" is better than by-products is just a human, emotional reaction. If you think the stuff in Nature's Variety is what you would eat, then you are mistaken.
I beg to differ. The ingredients in the canned food I use are venison meat, venison liver, venison heart, venison tripe, green mussels... so uh, no, they're not all the same. Show me another food that lists what cuts are in the food. Do it. I'm waiting.

And I'd probably be better off eating this canned food than some things I eat LOL

·
Registered
791 Posts
. Saying "meat" is better than by-products is just a human, emotional reaction. /QUOTE]

Again, wrong. I feed chicken feet, I feed chicken heads, I feed rabbit heads, I feed all kinds of hearts, I feed fur when it's on the animal, I feed a variety of organs. But when by-products is listed, there's no way to know it's not all chicken feet, or all feathers, or all intestines. That's the problem. It's not hard to figure out a raw feeder isn't disturbed by by-products, but we don't ever feed solely by-products and there's no way on earth you can prove what by-products are being used and what the ratio is of variety. Try to think about what you're saying before you write it. It's not had to realize no animal should be fed a dog food with by-products in it. You have to have close to the WHOLE animal to justify by-products. Like my dogs get two chicken feet a month when they eat their whole chicken over the course of the month. You have no way of showing me that bag with by-products listed on it isn't all intestines and chicken feet. you just don't know. and THAT is why we stay away. Our animals mean more to us than feeding an "I don't know." you might want to think about your animals and what they deserve.

Reactions: MollyWoppy

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Back when I fed kibble I added canned to it... and then for NO reason other than cost I decided it was really overpriced and it was so much cheaper to look at the ingredients on the can, throw some bargain meat and veggies in the crock pot, and make an entire pot of my own "topper" for like $10 and not spend $30 per case on canned foods.
Because I only used it as a topper I didn't bother balancing it all out, just threw in come ground meat (turkey, beef, pork... whatever) and whatever else was in the fridge. I didn't follow a carnivore diet for the dogs back then so there always veggies, and sometimes quinoa. The dogs liked it, and NOW looking back at it, it was not only cheaper, but because I did it in the crock pot it was literally maybe 5 minutes of "work" and healthier. Plus I knew the quality of ingredients going on.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
. Saying "meat" is better than by-products is just a human, emotional reaction.
Again, wrong. I feed chicken feet, I feed chicken heads, I feed rabbit heads, I feed all kinds of hearts, I feed fur when it's on the animal, I feed a variety of organs. But when by-products is listed, there's no way to know it's not all chicken feet, or all feathers, or all intestines.
He's right you'r wrong again. Apply some nutritional knowledge and some logic and you'll figure out what you are saying makes no sense. Look at the spec sheet for some of the by-product products on the market and you'll see they are 95% digestible with a nicely spread out amino acid profile. You don't get that with feet, feathers, fur or what have you. How digestible do you think feathers are? By-products compared to "pure" meals are great. In fact I know of a big brand that are in the process of doing a 180 on the whole by-product issue. Kudos to them but no doubt the ingredient police will make a big hoopla out of it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
so do you agree, Vike?.... that all canned foods are the same and you are basically just buying expensive cans of water?
I really haven't looked too closely at canned foods so I have very little knowledge on what brand is better, if any. But yes, you are paying for water. Since you will only use it as a topper now and then I think any brand would be ok really, without claiming they are equal. Maybe there are some nasty ones out there, don't know?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I would agree that from what I've noticed, most canned foods are pretty good. Even the 'bad' brands canned foods never look nearly as bad as their dry food. And I'm pretty sure canned food is only made at a few manufacturing facilities? Lotus is one of the only ones with their own cannery.
Annyone remember wait for it... Menu Foods!? They are not dead. Let's see where this Menu Foods link leads. To my knowledge they are the biggest manufacturer of wet food in North America.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I beg to differ. The ingredients in the canned food I use are venison meat, venison liver, venison heart, venison tripe, green mussels... so uh, no, they're not all the same. Show me another food that lists what cuts are in the food. Do it. I'm waiting.

And I'd probably be better off eating this canned food than some things I eat LOL
In the end the amino acids are exactly the same.

As for not knowing what you are getting with by-products, that is foolish thinking. These products are sold and made to spec so they don't vary much. The idea that "chicken meal" is unilaterally better just because of the name is completely wrong.

By-Products are equal to or superior in many cases, especially when you want to control ash levels, and I wouldn't have an issue if the protein in the dry I use went to Pet Food Grade By-Products.

Dogs don't actually require protein, they require amino acids, so it doesn't matter much which part of the animal it comes from.

The canned you listed has virtually no nutrition (78% water) unless you spend about $10 a day on multiple cans. That is $36,500 over the life of the dog at a minimum. So, go for it.

I spend about $1 per day per dog and my dogs are at close to three times the weight of your dog. Mine eat better as well.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Would you say feeding something like Cesar's wet food as a little topper each day isn't much different than feeding other things?

I always thought they were so gross, but still give them to Jackson occasionally. My dads dogs have always been fed those with their dry food so I give Jackson them when we go over there. Never had any noticeable issues from eating them twice a week...

My problem has always been cans going bad. With one 16lb dog who only uses a bit of wet food each day as a topper, I've wasted a lot of money throwing cans away that still were half full. So that's when I started buying the smaller Weruva cans.

You can get those Cesar containers real cheap and they're the perfect size. I just never felt comfortable feeding them every day, even if it is just a spoonfull.

But here's the ingredients to one: SUFFICIENT WATER FOR PROCESSING, BEEF BY-PRODUCTS, ANIMAL LIVER, CHICKEN, MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, BACON, CHEESE, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS, SOY FLOUR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, WHEAT FLOUR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, NATURAL FLAVOR, MAGNESIUM PROTEINATE, XANTHAN GUM, DRIED YAM, ADDED COLOR, GUAR GUM, CASSIA GUM, SALT, ERYTHORBIC ACID, ROTISSERIE CHICKEN FLAVOR, ZINC SULFATE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, RED #3, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, COPPER SULFATE, SODIUM NITRITE (FOR COLOR RETENTION), d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT.

I also try to get low fat canned foods. I know it changes when converted to dry matter basis, but that's why I was buying Weruva because after Jackson's supposed pancreatitis-thingy he came down with, I prefer to keep things a bit lower. Weruva is only about 2% fat wet. But Cesar is only about 3.5%. I also looked into Earthborn's wet foods which aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
791 Posts
He's right you'r wrong again. Apply some nutritional knowledge and some logic and you'll figure out what you are saying makes no sense. Look at the spec sheet for some of the by-product products on the market and you'll see they are 95% digestible with a nicely spread out amino acid profile. You don't get that with feet, feathers, fur or what have you. How digestible do you think feathers are? By-products compared to "pure" meals are great. In fact I know of a big brand that are in the process of doing a 180 on the whole by-product issue. Kudos to them but no doubt the ingredient police will make a big hoopla out of it.
HAHAHA! Get real. Anyone who stands by by-products has no understanding of quality at all. LOL When my dogs eat a whole prey chicken do you really think they're pooping out whole feathers? LMAO Dogs certainly do digest feathers LOL You go right ahead and feed your food with by-products ... go right ahead...hahaha. I shutter to think about the diet of a human who feeds their dogs a diet where the main protein is by-products LMAO think about how much by-products make up a whole animal... It isn't a large percentage so when on earth would a wild animal eat just the by-products of an animal? Yeah, here's this wolf out in the wild finding chicken feet and feathers and and intestines and never any meat because by-products are superior LMAO... yeah, that sounds reaaaaaaaaaaaal healthy.

Come on tell me how: Chicken by-products include head, feet, entrails, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, liver, stomach, bones, blood, intestines, and any other part of the carcass not fit for human consumption is healthy ... how can NO MEAT be healthy? Organs and bones make up for about 20% of a prey animal so HOW is this diet of 100% bone/organ ever acceptable?

·
Registered
791 Posts
But here's the ingredients to one: SUFFICIENT WATER FOR PROCESSING, BEEF BY-PRODUCTS, ANIMAL LIVER.
Uhhh ANIMAL LIVER? Are we talking euthanized animal liver? dead zoo animal liver? Road kill animal liver? What KIND of liver. Creepy.

Reactions: whiteleo

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
HAHAHA! Get real. Anyone who stands by by-products has no understanding of quality at all. LOL When my dogs eat a whole prey chicken do you really think they're pooping out whole feathers? LMAO Dogs certainly do digest feathers LOL You go right ahead and feed your food with by-products ... go right ahead...hahaha. I shutter to think about the diet of a human who feeds their dogs a diet where the main protein is by-products LMAO think about how much by-products make up a whole animal... It isn't a large percentage so when on earth would a wild animal eat just the by-products of an animal? Yeah, here's this wolf out in the wild finding chicken feet and feathers and and intestines and never any meat because by-products are superior LMAO... yeah, that sounds reaaaaaaaaaaaal healthy.
Man have you a lot to learn. Pretty much nothing of what you say is true or even close. Come back when you have put some effort into learning what by-products really are. Everything you need to learn is available with a few google searches.

·
Registered
853 Posts
by-products don't actually bother me THAT much. I'd be more grossed out by feeding raw food, or giving prey whole still with fur, etc, but that's just ME. I'm not grossed out by the by products because I can't see them I guess LOL. My dog eats a LOT of gross things. I am sure he would munch out in a bowl full of by products before they go into kibble.

But I totally understand your POV, I just wish you would present it in a more mature way. You can present your opinions/facts without the "HAHAHA"'s and "Get reals". It's not really helping. I think it's awesome to be able to present everyone's sides and opinions and facts, etc, but there's no need for snide remarks (from anyone, not directly pointing at one poster).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well, there comes a point where it becomes laughable. This is a pet nutrition site. Everyone on here has an interest in their pet's food. And everyone on here knows that an animal isn't meant to eat a food where the protein source comes solely from by-products. If you noticed the food I feed my cat, that comes from a can, has by-products, I'm not against them either. They have a very important part in the diet. BUT so does MEAT. Meat makes up the majority of the diet and it should be reflected that way in the pet food. So to come on here and say things like all canned foods are the same are simply not true. The canned food my animal eats lists what exactly I'm feeding and no one else can show me that in any other food so that shows right there they are not all the same. the cat food my animal eats assures me the animals used in the food saw daylight. You know, good ole daylight. You wouldn't think they'd need to indicate that, but they do.

It's ignorant and laughable because these people are trying to hard to convince themselves of this crap because they know no one on here is going to buy it!

Reactions: whiteleo

·
Registered
853 Posts
Well, there comes a point where it becomes laughable. This is a pet nutrition site. Everyone on here has an interest in their pet's food. And everyone on here knows that an animal isn't meant to eat a food where the protein source comes solely from by-products. If you noticed the food I feed my cat, that comes from a can, has by-products, I'm not against them either. They have a very important part in the diet. BUT so does MEAT. Meat makes up the majority of the diet and it should be reflected that way in the pet food. So to come on here and say things like all canned foods are the same are simply not true. It's ignorant and laughable because these people are trying to hard to convince themselves of this crap because they know no one on here is going to buy it!

Well I definitely agree with that. Maybe I missed it, but did anyone say protein source coming from mainly byproducts was best?

I understand what monsters is saying about canned foods being the "same". Technically speaking, of course they're not the same. But most are coming from the same facilities, most are 80-90% water... I get his point. To pay $4-$6 a can for some of these foods when they're not THAT much better than some others for a lot cheaper. And when a dog is not being fed solely canned food, but it's only being used as a topper, it doesn't make that much of a nutritional difference in their diet.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Well, there comes a point where it becomes laughable. This is a pet nutrition site. Everyone on here has an interest in their pet's food. And everyone on here knows that an animal isn't meant to eat a food where the protein source comes solely from by-products. If you noticed the food I feed my cat, that comes from a can, has by-products, I'm not against them either. They have a very important part in the diet. BUT so does MEAT. Meat makes up the majority of the diet and it should be reflected that way in the pet food. So to come on here and say things like all canned foods are the same are simply not true. The canned food my animal eats lists what exactly I'm feeding and no one else can show me that in any other food so that shows right there they are not all the same. the cat food my animal eats assures me the animals used in the food saw daylight. You know, good ole daylight. You wouldn't think they'd need to indicate that, but they do.

It's ignorant and laughable because these people are trying to hard to convince themselves of this crap because they know no one on here is going to buy it!
You do know that by-product products comes with a lot of meat right? Meat with added organs, necks, egg refuse etc. At least try to educate yourself a little. This is why by-products usually have a better amino acid profile. Explain to me why a by-product measures 95% digestible if contains an abundance of feathers, beaks or hoofs? Not utilizing by-products is a gross waste of resources.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts