Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I store a lot of our meat in reusable containers but I do also use freezer bags to store. I'd rather not but I do. I am so sick of them leaking and I think it's a waste to use 2 bags and double up (mostly from an environmental standpoint). Once I put them in the fridge to thaw, they drips all over making a big mess. I think I used ziplock brand last round.

ANYWAY, what brand freezer bags work best for you? Or what method do you use to avoid leaking?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
The ONLY storage bags that I have bought that don't leak are the Reynolds Handi vac bags. (you can use them as normal baggies without using the vacuum device)
But they are pretty expensive, so i only use them to store "people food" so i can vacuum pack it in the freezer. I don't use them for the dogs, since I go through so many.
Since it's either go really expensive, or leak, I buy the cheapest bags. (Grissom's are even sandwhich bags, not even freezer bags) and they haven't leaked any more or less than normal ziplock.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use any quart size or larger freezer bag that is on sale. I have never had a problem with leaking? Are you packing them too full? Or not closing them all the way from the start? I am not sure whats going on, but so far mine seem to work fine.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I actually get the Walmart brand bags...sandwich, quart, and gallon sizes. They are surprisingly durable for a store brand. I've never had a leaking issue either, but just incase it does happen one day, I have a plastic storage container in the fridge that I thaw all my meat in.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I actually get the Walmart brand bags...sandwich, quart, and gallon sizes. They are surprisingly durable for a store brand. I've never had a leaking issue either, but just incase it does happen one day, I have a plastic storage container in the fridge that I thaw all my meat in.
I do the same thing, though my wal mart brand baggies always leak! Grissom's food is in sandwhich baggies, Chesney's in quart, and Annie's in gallon. They all leak.
But I have a plastic bowl in the fridge that I always put all three baggies in, and I just rinse it out at night, and I run it through the washer probably twice a week.
But it's been pretty much dubbed the raw bowl.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use the quart size ones as well, seal them tight and only store 2 lbs a piece a bag. Maybe a little more. They don't leak from the top but the seams. I prefer reusable containers but larger meat items don't always fit.
I cannot believe yours NEVER leak-wow.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I do the same thing, though my wal mart brand baggies always leak! Grissom's food is in sandwhich baggies, Chesney's in quart, and Annie's in gallon. They all leak.
But I have a plastic bowl in the fridge that I always put all three baggies in, and I just rinse it out at night, and I run it through the washer probably twice a week.
But it's been pretty much dubbed the raw bowl.
Really? Mine hold up pretty well...do you use the plastic sliding close thingy or the regular old pinch and slide it yourself until it's closed thingy? (you like my descriptions? :tongue:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I have a bin in the fridge the bags thaw in too- that's where they leak in. You would think someone can make a darn plastic bag that does not leak.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I cannot believe yours NEVER leak-wow.
You got me thinking as to why mine don't leak, and I think I figured out why.

When I bring out the meat to thaw, I don't let it thaw out completely...it's still like a slushy consistency when I serve it. Therefore not many juices leak out of the meat, therefore not much liquid to cause a leak.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Really? Mine hold up pretty well...do you use the plastic sliding close thingy or the regular old pinch and slide it yourself until it's closed thingy? (you like my descriptions? :tongue:)
Haha, great descriptions.
I've used both, and fid neither one to be better or worse thn the other.
Mine also leak from the seams rather than the top. But I do feed it totally thawed.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I use Walmart brand gallon-sized freezer zipping pinch closed kind (great now you've got us all doing it haha!) of bags. I haven't noticed much leakage out of them, but I have so many types of bags and whatnot in the bottom of my fridge right now it's hard to pinpoint which one is doing the leaking. Usually though, it's the darn bags the chicken leg quarters come in!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I use Walmart brand gallon-sized freezer zipping pinch closed kind (great now you've got us all doing it haha!) of bags.
Hey, it's an excellent description. :rolleyes:

I haven't noticed much leakage out of them, but I have so many types of bags and whatnot in the bottom of my fridge right now it's hard to pinpoint which one is doing the leaking. Usually though, it's the darn bags the chicken leg quarters come in!
Bags just magically leak...I swear!!! I bought a 40lb box of chicken quarters recently, and had to bag them to make them fit in my fridge until I could trim them. I pulled them out tonight and there was chicken goodness everywhere!!! :mad: I looked over the entire bag and couldn't find where it was leaking...it's a freaking mystery!!! lol

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Haha that's like the mystery hole that always appears in the bottom of grocery bags, rendering them useless for poop patrol!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Haha that's like the mystery hole that always appears in the bottom of grocery bags, rendering them useless for poop patrol!
Just cross your fingers you see the hole before attempting to use them for poop patrol.:eek:

Chicken quarter bags make me angry. Thanks to those awful bags, I have a frozen pool of chicken blood that no matter how many times i clean it, it will just come back next time i buy them. SOmetimes I even check the bags before i buy them, and see no leaks, but by the time they make it to the freezer, every flippin' time... leaks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
leaky chicken bags = one of the world's great mysteries
It's always the chicken too, never anything else......

So, unless you want to spend a fortune, I guess there is no such thing as a leak-proof bag. :confused:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
leaky chicken bags = one of the world's great mysteries
It's always the chicken too, never anything else......

So, unless you want to spend a fortune, I guess there is no such thing as a leak-proof bag. :confused:
Pretty much.
I just kind of figure if more expensive bags are going to leak just the same, why not go super cheap. same end result.
Mine aren't even technically freezer bags, because those leaked too.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I find the freezer bags don't leak as much, but i could just be whishfully thinking there

1 - 20 of 42 Posts