Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a three y/o min pin thats about 3-5lbs overweight.what is the best food to help him loose weight but still keep his muscle size.and about how much should i feed him?

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
i have a three y/o min pin thats about 3-5lbs overweight.what is the best food to help him loose weight but still keep his muscle size.and about how much should i feed him?
5 pounds is a lot of weight for a small dog. id say you prob would feed a dog that small a cup a day,so id say see how half a cup a day works out?

wellness core ocean seems good!(reduced fats)

Reactions: caneopoly1227

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you want to feed kibble? There are other options, mainly home cooked and raw. Kibble isn't your only option and many people feel that there are healthier choices. :wink:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Yes, there are a few places on line to buy kibble. Members have used the following (plus some others I can't remember):

petfooddirect.com
heartypet.com
k9cuisine.com

I agree with the others. Try feeding him less and then re-weigh in a couple weeks. What are you feeding him now?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well, give yourself points for at least doing some research on dog food, some dogs get fed crap their whole lives and their owners don't know any better because of the way big dog food co. advertise. So, good for you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they had me fooled, between the bag itself with pics of vegetables and the commercials it sounds like the best for your dog.that is untill i found this site.ive never even heard of those other dog foods,im just glad there are people out there that will go the xtra step to help those of us that are ignorant about dog food.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
What food are you feeding him and how much?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
they had me fooled, between the bag itself with pics of vegetables and the commercials it sounds like the best for your dog.that is untill i found this site.ive never even heard of those other dog foods,im just glad there are people out there that will go the xtra step to help those of us that are ignorant about dog food.
Don't be too hard on yourself. :smile: We all have to start somewhere, and now you know better!

One thing that's nice about feeding a better quality food is that usually you will feed less than what you are now.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts

·
Banned
539 Posts
Here are my lists......

The A list
1. Orijen, Grain free.
2. Evo, Grain free.
3. Horizon Legacy, Grain free.
4. Acana, some grain free.
5. Innova
6. Wellness Core, Grain free.
7. Blue Wilderness, Grain free.
8. Taste of the Wild, wetlands & prairie only, Grain free.
9. Fromm, surf & turf is grain free
10. Merrick, Some grain free.

Good quality for a low price
1. TOTW
2. California Natural
3. Health Wise
4. Kirkland, Costco

The B list

1. California Natural
2. Instinct, Grain free.
3. Now, Grain free.
4. GO, free indurance,chicken,salmon only
5. Artemis
6. Evangers
7. Timberwolf
8. Wellness
9. Solid Gold
10. Canidae
11. Health Wise
12. Karma

And I would feed any of these except Canidae and I only have it listed because they do make one decent dog food...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts