Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Would you guys classify Before Grain as a high or moderate protein food?
i wouldnt call it high.

it seems closer to the lower end of the protein scale if comparing to all the grainless kibbles on the market. there are some grainless foods that are in the 20%-25% range, but those are usually the limited ingredient offerings such as Natural Balance or a couple of the new Cali Natural grainless foods.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i wouldnt call it high.

it seems closer to the lower end of the protein scale if comparing to all the grainless kibbles on the market. there are some grainless foods that are in the 20%-25% range, but those are usually the limited ingredient offerings such as Natural Balance or a couple of the new Cali Natural grainless foods.
I am not ready to take the plunge into the higher protein formulas so I am looking for something in-between the small breed formulas I have been using (28% protein) and the 35+ % formulas. HighER protein, lowER carbs, grain free. Am I on the right track with BG ? (also looking at Fromm Surf and Turf (30 % protein) because it has very small kibble.)

I am just extremely confused at this point because there is so much conflicting info about grains, protein, fat, etc.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am not ready to take the plunge into the higher protein formulas so I am looking for something in-between the small breed formulas I have been using (28% protein) and the 35+ % formulas. HighER protein, lowER carbs, grain free. Am I on the right track with BG ? (also looking at Fromm Surf and Turf (30 % protein) because it has very small kibble.)

I am just extremely confused at this point because there is so much conflicting info about grains, protein, fat, etc.
any of those are worth a try. you wont really know how your dog does on any of them until you try.

personally, i dont like the lack of variety in the Before Grain Line, as Chicken Meal seems to be the main protein source in all 3 of them (if you dont normally like to rotate foods, i guess that doesnt matter). i like Acana, which also has protein levels in the low 30's% range, but has 3 formulas that use a different primary protein source.

im not sure on this, but my recollection is that the before grain has a pretty small kibble size as well.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
personally, i dont like the lack of variety in the Before Grain Line, as Chicken Meal seems to be the main protein source in all 3 of them (if you dont normally like to rotate foods, i guess that doesnt matter).
This too is my biggest issue with B.G.
I thought the Buffalo formula would be pretty neat, then I looked at the ingredients. All of them might as well be named "Chicken with a little Buffalo/ salmon/ whatever" Variety is key, and I don't think that this line of food offers much variety at all. BUT, that being said, I don['t think it's terrible either. It's a decent quality food, of course there are better foods, but there are a whole lot worse foods, too!

·
Registered
329 Posts
This too is my biggest issue with B.G.
I thought the Buffalo formula would be pretty neat, then I looked at the ingredients. All of them might as well be named "Chicken with a little Buffalo/ salmon/ whatever" Variety is key, and I don't think that this line of food offers much variety at all. BUT, that being said, I don['t think it's terrible either. It's a decent quality food, of course there are better foods, but there are a whole lot worse foods, too!

Agree.....and you'd think that a quality company like Merrick could produce a complete nutrient analysis.

It's nice that they have made a complete Before Grain canned meal, but it would also be nice if they would still have the 95% canned meat formulas as well.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
It's nice that they have made a complete Before Grain canned meal, but it would also be nice if they would still have the 95% canned meat formulas as well.
The previous BG canned formulas were 100% meat, and just enough water for processing. I think they changed it because people caught on that since it's "just meat" they could buy cheaper at the grocery store.

I think It would be wise for them to at least rethink their Buffalo formula, if they'd take the chicken meal out, and actually just use Buffalo, I know it would be expensive, but the novelty meat source would be high value.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I fed the BG line for a little bit (when Jackson was between 6months-8 months). I had no complaints about it; he did fine on it. Poops were good, etc but he got bored with it REALLY fast. He would even spit the kibbles out when mixed with wet food (which he never does). So... we stopped feeding it. But I think it's a good food still.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts