Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really much a lurker. Nor do I want to make another identity and pretend to be someone else. Think of me what you wish but the end result does not change. I am returning here for my dog and that is assuming I'd be accepted back. If not, well, I guess I will have to keep seeking out other means of getting help.

I recently made a bad choice with Bridget and was hoping to get some advice to correct it. Before I even bother posting it I would at least like to apologize to the entire community for my failures to properly show evidence to back up what I am bringing up. That way if my words don't paint a clear enough picture at least the pictures themselves will.

So I asking that we leave what is done and learn from the past.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On Saturday I took her in to get her 3 year rabies shot. Only places I could find lyssin was a few sites online that I never heard of and didn't take paypal so I went without it hoping that she'd be fine. I mean, how many dogs don't mind getting a rabies vaccine without a problem?

About 4 hours after the vaccine Bridget had the worse water stool I've ever seen. She refused to eat Saturday night and wasn't interested in doing her normal walk so I added some pedialyte to her water. Sunday came around and she still didn't want to eat so I started her on a probiotic(natural defensive). Both nights I had to sleep with my clothes on because when she needed to go out she had to do it in a hurry. Monday we went back to the vet where they confirmed to me that Bridget had a fever and it was probably from the rabies shot. What the vet neglated to tell me was that she doesn't vaccine her own dogs because of this and instead opts for the titer shot. All they gave me was some antibiotics that I didn't end up giving her since her system already seemed like it was having a rough time and I wanted to give the probiotics a little time to see if they would work.

Monday night she actually ate a half a pork neck. Still wasn't too interested in exercise and still had loose stool but wasn't as loose. Today she has been closer to her normal self as if nothing ever happened, ate normally and wanted to exercise again. She doesn't feel as hot so I'm thinking maybe her fever went down on it's own. It was scary for me to see Bridget refusing food. I know for a fact that I will not be getting Bridget vaccine again if I can help it. Some dogs can't handle it and she is apparently one of those dogs.

I dug through a few old threads around here to figure out how to best solve this situation. This when I was reminded of the pedialyte to keep dogs from dehydrating and which probiotic to invest in. She lost a little bit of weight during this time but she was actually over weight so the vet told me she could afford to lose a little. I had already been trying to cut down the amount she ate but it is hard to keep her from hungry puking so I had decided instead to increase her exercise to try to find a balance.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
What state do you live in? Hopefully since your vet knows the dangers (and if it's accepted in your state) you can get a waiver in lieu of the actual shot, since she has documented negative reactions towards it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Many dogs I know have anaphylactic reactions to vaccinations. Noodles almost died from vaccinations, mostly from the rabies shot. She got hepatitis.
I think titers should always be used in replacement of a vaccination if the dog doesn't need one and is healthy.

Reactions: Scarlett_O'

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What state do you live in? Hopefully since your vet knows the dangers (and if it's accepted in your state) you can get a waiver in lieu of the actual shot, since she has documented negative reactions towards it.
I live in Ohio. I believe it is done by a county to county bases here. My vet has already let me know that next time we can opt for a titer test and hopefully that turns out to be true.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I live in Ohio. I believe it is done by a county to county bases here. My vet has already let me know that next time we can opt for a titer test and hopefully that turns out to be true.
You can get a titer, and it will work if she never gets into a fight or bites anyone. It will get you out of getting the vaccine, but it doesn't count if she comes incontact with some one. She would be put in quarenteen for 14 days. Ohio law as far as I know. Thats what the vets and the ER told me.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Murphy had a very bad reaction to his rabies vaccine at 6 months old and hasn't had one since. He just turned 3. My vet was very understanding about it and offered to write a letter to get him medically exempt to the state veterinarian board.

He's just been living in sin since then. His health has been an uphill battle since then.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll go ahead and update this info. Bridget's protection against rabies latest a full 7 years. This year I had to redo it and she wasn't bothered by it. It was considerable more expensive to go this route over just getting the shot. I think the test was around 90 and covered me for 3 years and the last year I paid for a again and that time it only covered me for one year because the antibodies were so low. This year I knew I would need it so I had it done. They gave her benadryl to help with possible side affects before giving her the next rabies shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts