Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For large dogs - would this be considered a recreational bone or are they safe to consume? I picked up a huge package that was marked down at the grocery store this weekend. They're big, but my dane is a power chomper and if they're not safe for her to eat, I'll just let the boxer mix have them since he's smaller.

Just thought I'd run it past the other dane owners here and see if it's something you feed or if it's more of a recreational bone.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The rare times I feed beef ribs, I don't feed individual ribs. I feed a half rack per dog. They will eat all the meat and about half the bone. Whatever bone is left I pick up and throw away. I much prefer feeding pork ribs (again, in a half rack). I wouldn't feed a Dane, individual ribs because they are so easy for them to swallow whole.

If your dog can chomp through them, go for it. :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We also give beef ribs on a regular basis. We give our two Danes at least two ribs stuck together so it gives them a bit more work to do. We have a "gulper" type eater and she has never attempted to swallow a whole rib. Ours don't actually eat the bone so they keep them around for good rec bones for about a week and then we give a new rack and throw the old bones away.

Beef ribs should be safe for chomping on because while they are thick and strong, they're not so dense as to break teeth. I have yet to hear of anyone's dog breaking a tooth one a beef rib. Soup knuckle bones and other weight bearing bones on the other hand can definitely break teeth, so I never recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I guess my main concern was could she actually bite through the rib bone and if she did, would it be safe since it's not exactly a small bone that she could chew up well. When I do give them a try (we're still working on the slow and steady approach with her, so she hasn't made it to beef yet) I'll watch her like a hawk and see what she does with them. :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
That's really the best thing to do because every dog handles them differently. I know or some dogs that actually do chew up and injest the bone without any issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts